PDA

View Full Version : 7-44/7-58 Pink mountain questions

Wrayzer
09-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Headin to Pink mountain Sept 29 to Oct 6. Going to be chasing some Moose in the rut mostly but am carrying the Elk tag in my pocket that I haven't been able to fill here in Region 8 and since there is a 3 point season up north I should put it to use....
For you Pink Mountain experts out there, how is the elk population in the general area of Pink? Also for you Elk experts would it be too late up there for some bugles and cow calls? Will be at Sikanni River site and headin south to hunt

daycort
09-19-2011, 08:58 AM
There is heavy oilfield activity up there right now. I would look into another spot if it was me.

bc mike
09-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Lots of activity for sure. You can get away from the o/g activity if you have quads. Then you run into all the wolves!!!

Wrayzer
09-19-2011, 09:45 AM
No kidding eh, Pickin up a buddy in Fr. St. John and have another one meeting us from Ft. Nelson, Wonder if it would be better to either go North of Pink or more towards Ft. St. John....

daycort
09-19-2011, 06:04 PM
There is roughly 50 rigs drilling right now up here and the majority of them are from Dawson Creek north along the mountains to the Bucking horse area. look at Laprise area.

buckshot
09-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Was there for the August hunt. First time in eight years that we came back empty. Four hunters, nine days, 13 cow/calf spotted between the group. Next year it's gonna be further north that's a forsure!

bdennis
09-19-2011, 09:03 PM
we are heading into the area east off the highway around mile 128 is that where the drilling activity is now? there was very little last year. Would it be better to go north to sikanni chief.

thanks for your help

bc mike
09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes, there was activity thru 126 too. All the hook ups to the East. Even 100 km to the back of Tom lakes road. Like I said, a quad can find you some peace but there are large packs of wolves running. 100 guys with stories like buckshot but most say no calves left with cows.

bdennis
09-19-2011, 09:51 PM
we had some success to the west at mile 130 is there activity on the side of the highway? maybe its better to go up to the prophet river or trutch area what do you think of that?

thanks

Wrayzer
09-20-2011, 07:09 AM
hmmm well we have a trailer we are pullin up so we wanted to be at a place with some hook ups, like Sikanni Cheif site, anything close south towards Hudson Hope, Chetwynd area that we should take a peek at?

greenhorn
09-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Me and two others were at Sikanni for a late August hunt and the area was busy.

We spotted alot of cow moose and elk, bear, porcupines, but the bull Moose were hiding and way up high. Alot of wolf sign once you got into the bush.

We had some interesting chats with the folks that own Sikanni Chief about the hunting up there, they seemed to know how people were making out in the area and what the best times/weather were. Maybe worth giving them a call?

Wrayzer
09-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Were you seeing cow or bull elk? My hunting partner was up that way back in early August scouting it out, he was just saying it didnt seem too busy with the Rigs and whatnot, but I'll have a chat with the people at Sikanni. Our other option is the Hudson's hope area, 7-31.

greenhorn
09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
We only saw cow elk, and not that many of them as I recall.

We were there late August.

Don't take my word for it, just call up there and get the straight goods from the locals.

There's an outfitter near Sikanni Chief too, if you search the web you could probably find their info, maybe they'd be able to tell you how much pressure there has been/will be.