PDA

View Full Version : Elk in MU 8-5 ?

SKADman
09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
The 2011 Hunting Regulations allows 6 point bulls in MU 8-5. I haven't seen any sign of elk in the north west area of 8-5. Can anyone tell me what area I should concentrate on ? Otter Lake, south or east of Tulameen ? Or do they even exist ?

kako99
09-18-2011, 09:33 PM
They are around, you just gotta have lots of luck I heard only like 4-6 bulls get takin a season.

Steeleco
09-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I saw 9 elk in the northern part of 8-05 this spring, 5 were bulls. 2 looked like they we're well on their way to being 6pts. They are out there, but there are better areas in the south below Tulamean IMO.

Trophyslayer
09-18-2011, 11:14 PM
opening week last year there were 12 or more taken thats what i heard from the locals

SKADman
09-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I normally hunt in the area between the rest stop on the Coquihalla highway, and Tulameen, usually closer to the Coquihalla. Have seen bull moose on a few occasions, and other moose sign. Perhaps I should look more carefully, some of that moose sign might have been elk. But I spend about two weeks in there almost every year between mid Sept and mid Oct, and have never heard any bugling.

Steeleco
09-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Last fall I saw elk sign and could hear them calling down near the KVR and the Coalmont road, they were off in the distance but it was cool to hear. Once even saw a bull elk for a split second about 10 years ago. He ran across the road high up above Juliette creek. We knew what it was, just didn't believe our eyes!!

SKADman
09-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Juliette creek is across the highway in MU 3-13. There was an open season on them in that area about 20 years ago, but the game warden in Merrit told me that they had no resident elk, only the odd one that came over the hill from the Fraser River side. So I got a moose tag instead and called in a nice bull not too far from Murray Lake. The open season there for elk was closed a few years later, and then the moose went on Limited Entry. Those guys are regulating me into being a vegetarian.

I'll get a tag and try calling elk over towards Coalmont area. I guess that's as good a place to start as any. Is that the area you saw them in this spring ?

Steeleco
09-19-2011, 12:38 AM
No, much further north. Almost Aspen Grove. But there's a lot of private land up there, they were on it :(

Whonnock Boy
09-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Yep, a friend of mine who owns a cabin up out of Princeton knows the local game cutter. Apparently there were a lot of bulls taken last year. Something about a big burn south of the border pushed them north into the Princeton area.

Iron Glove
09-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Funny, we've had our place in Tulameen for @ 12 years now and I have never seen an Elk. :(

Leaseman
09-19-2011, 08:31 AM
I have hunted the area you go to (roughly) for close to 30 years and have seen sign, but never an animal....! That being said, my buddies went for a drive up Vuich creek (no motorized vehicles with guns/hunters allowed) a month ago and saw a few cows up there.... tough go walking or bike (lots of area), but by horse....?

Steeleco
09-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Saw her May LWE spring 2010, there were two others deeper in the woods. As mentioned, up near Aspen Grove. I think soon enough, they will be more frequent. In 2008 when camping with Elkhound and Ketchica last weekend in May, Mike saw 2 bulls cross Brookmere main. Thought he was pulling our leg, apparently not!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_3896.jpg

ruger#1
09-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I have seen them up around Garrison Lakes and around sunday summit. Also heard them bugle around the sunday summit. This may I seen 9 of them. They were migrating north.

Weatherby Fan
09-19-2011, 08:57 AM
I have hunted the Princeton area for 25 years and have taken 2 bulls from the area,one from the whipsaw area and one north of Princeton just west off Highway 5A,I believe there's more Elk in the area than people think as we have seen them from the border to north and west of Princeton.
WF

swampdonkey
09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I have taken 1 back in 1994 up on pike mtn and i know of a few more that have been taken in that area turn in at the a-p ranch and head up

SKADman
09-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you all for your input. It seems that there are enough sightings to make it worthwhile to at least try for one this year. Much appreciated guys.