PDA

View Full Version : Pink Mtn or bust

cwocarsten
09-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Well I am getting antsy. It is 12 more sleeps until I go on my 8th annual pink mtn elk hunt. No .....I have not been skunked yet but it is alot of work.Last years elk I packed out almost 2 k to the ATV trail and swore I would do it never again (until the next time). Although it is not any bull moose we like to hunt for elk and then if we se a bull moose we go for it , but mostly focus on Elk first. They say it has been heavily hunted but........ya gotta go into the bush away from the roads and push the bush. Pictures will be posted next mth.

talver
09-09-2006, 11:53 PM
good luck hope to see lots of pictures

willyqbc
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
just a heads up for ya, we just got back from that general area and it is plenty hot and hasn't seen rain for months. The elk seem scattered and the rut is moving VERY slowly. Other than the 1st 1/2 hour and the last 1/2 hour it was dead quiet. Hopefully the rut will be going better for you guys by the time you go despite unfavourable conditions.

Good luck!
Chris

cwocarsten
09-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Willyqbc,
Thanks for the tip. I heard it is going to snow this wknd in Ft St John. It has been dry since June so much so that the leaves are turning color already. Just a little wind and they will be easier to see. Hope there are a few 6X6 this yr. In one basin last yr I was bugling with 5 different bulls all 5X5's. I hope the Elk gods let a couple of them grow this yr to a 6X6 for us.

cwocarsten
09-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh Yeah 1 more thing. I bought a sheep tag this year because the last 2 years I have seen Sheep where I go. Ewes & lambs buuuuut where theres lambs there has to be a daddy (hmmmm Chadwick rams 5th cousin once removed I hope).

Deaddog
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
With the cooler weather and later into sept I am sure you will hit the elk right in prime rut, good luck to you

Jetboater
09-18-2006, 07:09 AM
we just got back and it definatly cooled off. there was a big fire up towards buckinghorse and moving that direction. lots of animals moving around.

Schmaus
09-18-2006, 09:46 AM
The elk seem scattered and the rut is moving VERY slowly. Other than the 1st 1/2 hour and the last 1/2 hour it was dead quiet.

This is the same action I have been having around PG. I have seen some elk though and I have heard of a fair number of 6 points getting called in.

browningboy
09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Are you guys at pink or Mile 132 -140? We've hunted mile 135 and stayed at the boreal cabins for years (cheap), its great for moose but don't see too much elk, I hear they are more to the south side of the highway, but it would be nice to have a tip as we are just starting to get into elk hunting, but we still love the moose!:twisted:

cwocarsten
09-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I go left at Mae's kitchen and go way way way in. It is not so good for moose the last 3 yrs but I have filled my elk tag each year. But they are not easy. It is more like a hike from hell towards heaven though. Sometimes we pack in on foot to a basin so we can wake up to elk bugles in the morning but what a pack out with the meat. No matter it is just good to get out. I will post some pics when I get back before I head to my cabin at Hatheume Lake for another hunt. And for all you hunters that are about to head to the hills.GOOOOOD LUUUCK!