PDA

View Full Version : Elk were are you????

bozzdrywall
09-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Just putting it out there. Have you guys and gals been having the same luck as me. The pre season scouting was good found some nice bulls and lots of cows. The archery season I only seen 1 5x4 bull and he was in the head lights on priv land. So now rifle season is a week in and I can't find an elk to save my life. Now iam no pro but I think I got elk dialed in 4 tags filled in 4 years. But this year it seems like they just vanished into thin air. I have been to most of my honey holes and not even a track or droppings were did they all go. My first thought is the heat and the moon phase got the elk nocturnal. But it does not explain why there is no sign were there should be. Any thoughts, is your luck the same. FYI Iam hunting the ek high and low.

.300WSMImpact!
09-18-2011, 12:07 PM
my year has been the same, great sign early, almost a bull first morning, then spooked by another hunter, since then it seems I am a day or two behind, playing catch up, I hope my luck will change and same as you keep on them they will show up again

matt420
09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
my year has been about the same, spotted a bull on opening day at about 800 - 900 yards away couldnt count his points but could see his antlers shining in the sun light, and since then not even a response

bozzdrywall
09-18-2011, 12:13 PM
I have not even heard a peep this year starting to wonder if in my old age Iam going deaf ha ha

JDR
09-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Having the same problem here in the Okanagan. Heard one bugle September 9th and nothing since. Have only seen two cows, calf and spike bull. Even with the 3/4 moon it seems awfully bright out there. In most of my usual honey holes, the sign is old. Hopefully things will change in the next week or two.

uraarchr
09-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Got to the Koots on 3rd Sept and first few days heard and saw elk.Then the heat wave hit and things slowed right down.And then the full moon.I read somewhere that full moon and hot temps combined is bad?After things started to cool(13th ?)the bulls got visible and loud but I had to go.I think the start of the firearms gongshow didnt help(I was rifle hunting too)and the hordes of hunters.Might go back later.

toddrat
09-18-2011, 02:02 PM
wolves maybe moved in?

buckeye77
09-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Have not seen or heard an Elk in the first week and to make matters worse we had 3 trail cams out for over a month and not one of them got a single picture of an elk. This in an area where each camera can have over 100 pictures easily in that time. They have disapeared

beeugle
09-18-2011, 03:03 PM
the elk got the first edition of the regs..... they know the drill.. stay above 1100 and in the thick... come out at night... no wonder... so many people rolled in here it was apparent it was hunting season....

J_T
09-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Scouted prior to the 'bow only' season and knew the Gov strategy to maintain higher levels of elk in the back country and lower numbers of elk in the front country was working. We stayed mobile and hunted a lot of different ground. Both high and low. With an overall pursuit strategy and staying on the move, had close encounters with elk every day. Good bulls and in close. Multiple bull sightings sometimes (5 - 10) daily. Elk in most predictable locations yet there were observed peculiarities to our sightings. Very vocal, sometimes as late as noon.

Stayed on through the 11th and continued to have good success getting in tight. I hope to get out again, during the GOS, but I don't put much focus on it. I'll wait now for the late season bow only and hunt my favorite whitetails at this point. Pretty short season for a bowhunter but it's so rewarding.

Bit of a hijack here but somewhat relevant. >>>> IMHO in the lower front country, I believe that as elk have been reduced quickly in number, those that have not made themselves targeted (to predation) has led to a higher number of elk "of a certain type". The remaining elk are exhibiting a particular disposition to remain evasive and aloof and hunters must also work harder and adapt. The other wolf/bear predators are adapting, and we must too. As prey levels come down quickly predator levels take time to adjust. If you have a honey hole and you head into it you should expect to see elk, if you bump them, it might be days before they return to that spot. They are not going to wait around and continue to be vulnerable. This isn't just about hunters, it's about elk strategies toward all predators. Lower number of elk in the front country change who they and how the respond to higher numbers of predators. Conversley, we are seeing higher numbers of elk in the high country and there is some fun to be had in the coming years. I just hope I stay young enough long enough to enjoy it.

knightcc
09-18-2011, 06:30 PM
We hunted in Peace River area opening week. First morning, callled in 3 bulls in thick timber. Could have shot 2 of the 3 but was holding out for a 6x6 that was lurking in there and was seen late last winter. Second morning 2 more bulls came in silently to a bugle and busted me before I could get on them. For the rest of the week, not a single bugle. Heat wave rolled in and it got very tough. Lots of sign but no bugles. Should have shot the first one but I didn't want my hunt to be over that early! Good luck to everyone the rest of the season.

CanuckShooter
09-18-2011, 07:02 PM
We have been in 7-21 since aug 29 and the bulls just started getting vocal the last couple of days. Just phoned the loving wife and got the ok to stay another week!!

bozzdrywall
09-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Another night out in the slides and not a peep there is some sign but it's hard to tell how fresh it is. It's still really dry out there. O well another week of work then of to camp for one more kick at the can hope the elk and the weather man do there part

rides bike to work
09-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Just got back from a week in the koots the only elk we saw were at low levels but in extremely thick sh#t we found fresh sign down low so we headed straight into it taking one hour per km we bumped them out of their beds and with bareley a glimpse they were gone it was exhausting we spent 4 morning afternoons doing this and did get a glimps of two bulls that were probabley legal but it was so thick no shot was possible,we set up shooters and did pushes but they doulded back on us every time.Only heard bugles the last couple days weird they were usually around 8:30 am.called one in but to thick to get a look.We couldnt leave the spot knowing they were there but it was frusterating knowing our efforts were probably useless lst evening went for a relaxing drive up a mount ain and got to take a shot at a nice white tail buck but missed by a mile.better check the scope as i took a couple tumbles in the thick stuff.I chock up the trip as a learning expereince and a good one at that.I got the koot fever.

TPB
09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Been trying to find a cow (junior season) and ive been out 4 times, haven't even seen a damn calf! Got winded by what we think was a bull (bit of a story) this morning but it could of been a sasquatch for all we know. I don't know if ill want to go hunting on the 20th-30th for a cow, its going to get busy with all of the people flooding in for the cow season.

rocksteady
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I feel you pain Bozz...

The elk are not where they usually are, they are not doing what they usually do and I am having a hard time finding fresh sign...

I am back to work after hunting for 18 consecutive mornings with bow and rifle, without a single shot fired.....

Something is going on that I just can not figure out....

If I have an epipheny (light bulb comes on) I will be sure to tell you...

bozzdrywall
09-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Well hope with this weather that moved through it gets the elk moving tonight

Wrayzer
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Was just reading an article about the rut, some people have been timing the rut each year for past 5 years in co-oridination with the new moon and its phases. The article states that the peak of the rut is late this year and won't actually start to get into full swing until at least the first week of October..so far the past four years they've been really accurate.

tash
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Any chance you could post that article? Would be an interesting read...

bozzdrywall
09-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Funny Tash I just sent him a pm asking him the same thing

fullcurl33
09-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I've been out a lot this season, only had bulls going one day. The wolfs have been around seems every where we go the elk won't make a peep.Fresh elk sign fresh wolf sign. North peace. Any one else up here having the same problem?

d6dan
09-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Well hope with this weather that moved through it gets the elk moving tonight

I think you should be hunting with H47. He'll get you an elk.

7mag700
09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Spent a long day west of FSJ yesterday driving and walking from the Peace all the way up to 1400m. Saw nothing but a WT doe with 2 fawns, a cow moose, and shot 2 Franklins. Came across a few areas with a few tracks, that's it. Did meet a guy that had a chocolate bear down though, he said a cow and two calves had passed his camp earlier that morning. No wolf tracks though. I think they're still up high.

7m7

THE BEAST
09-19-2011, 04:55 PM
we went out for seven days on private land and only got two bugles back. The norm is three or four bugles a day.
We were also hereing lots of wolves ,so that might of shut them up.
Anyway it was slow all a round.

THE BEAST (michael)

pappy
09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I've been out 4 times (morning hunts) around the peace area and haven't heard a bugle yet from any of the areas, no fresh tracks or droppings. I have seen lots of doe's and a couple of smaller bucks, the deer were too far for me to try with an arrow. I found alot of mama and baby grizz tracks and one set of good size wolf tracks at the last place I tried looking. I'll have to wait for next sunday to try another area for elk.

Wrayzer
09-19-2011, 05:36 PM
The Peak of the Rut

You can time the peak of the rut consistently year after year if you follow the Biological Time Hypothesis.* Read the book Biological Time by Bernie Taylor for all the details. If you want to be in elk country when the biggest bulls are competing for the right to breed then you'll want to bookmark this page and plan your vacation time accordingly. The peak of the rut can last from 5-10 days.* The peak generally falls 25 weeks after Easter (6 months and 1 week). The entire rutting period for elk generally lasts a full month (September 15th - October 15th). Weather is a factor which can throttle the tempo of the rut. Heavy snows will slow it down and cool, wet weather (rain) can make the elk more active.

2007********** September 26-October 5th

2008********** September 10-25* (expect newborn calves around May 30th 2009)

2009********** September 28 - October 9* (expect newborn calves June 13-20, 2010)

2010********** September 23 - October 8* (Archers be ready, 1st rifle hunters expect younger bulls with harems!)

2011*********** October 10-23 (Rifle Hunters be ready!)

You will also want to follow the lunar cycle DURING the rut to maximize your opportunities with elk.* That is to say during a full moon period the elk will be more active at night often traveling further and crossing roads into new areas in search of available cows.* The theory behind the full moon is elk can see better at night and can enjoy more freedom to move around while at the same time avoiding predators (including hunters). During new moon (darkest phase of the cycle) elk will stay put at night and travel more during daylight hours.* The idea is that during dark nights elk are more likely to stay in groups and not travel to avoid predators like mountain lions, bears and wolves.* Your best chances to find active elk are during the new moon phase closest to the peak of the rut.* If the new moon falls during the peak of the rut you can bet the elk will be more active during the day which will increase your opportunities significantly.* To test out this theory visit elk country in May or June during the dark phase (new moon).* Two factors will help you see more elk during this time.* Green grasses and plants are abundant and the new moon will help you find elk feeding in meadows.* This is also a relaxed time of year for elk and they are less wary.* Hunting pressure affects elk and they are much harder to find even during new moon phases during September through December.*

How did we do in previous years?

2003************* October 6-17************* (Our first year filming and we went way too early.* We had to wait until 2004 until we had enough footage to make a film.)

2004************* September 27 - October 8*** (We nailed the peak of the rut in Wyoming this year. See Elk Heaven (DVD) for proof.* We saw more huge bulls than ever before)

2005************* September 12-23 ***** (Check out the stats for bull elk from GMU Research to see the spike in archery hunter success that year)

2006************* October 5-19************* (We got anxious and went to Wyoming a bit too early in October.* We hit the peak just as it began. See Return to Elk Heaven - DVD)

2007 *** *** *** October 1-10** *** *** *** (We nailed it. We hit the peak perfectly. See Elk Heaven 2007 (DVD) for proof.)

2008************ September 10-25******* (See Elk Heaven 2008 - coming soon)

Use the following links to find out when Easter falls on any given year:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/easter.html

And the Lunar Calendar:

http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/

A lot of people think the peak of the rut happens the same time every single year but it doesn't.* The rut in general is not the same as the peak of the rut.* There is a very significant distinction between the different periods of the rut.* Pre-rut, peak and post-rut.* You will find younger bull elk will be most active during the pre-rut and during the post-rut.* But if you are after a different kind of elk, the biggest bull on the mountain, then the only time you may see him are during the peak of the rut and during harsh winter months.* Other than those times it's highly unlikely you will see him as he hides in the dark timber during the day and does most of his feeding during the night.

Copyright* 2002-2009 ElkHeaven.com, All Rights Reserved. *

brock77
09-19-2011, 07:42 PM
same here bozz....lots of close calls during bow season....then the heat and nothing...seen them but not vocal at all and in the dark thick nasty chit by water and close to feeding areas.....but today with the snow up high and cool temps should change things.... heres to hoping..good luck if ur out this way drop me pm

big game chaser
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
i just got back from the peace we were into bulls every other day!we got there on the 29th bulls stayed hi during the day in the thickest stuff but were down low at night we heard bugles most days statring right from opening day on the first. They seemed to be bugling about 2 hrs after dark until early morning but all in all still seemed slow put on about 10 k a day ridge after ridge had a few chances but still came home empy handed after 13 days!

mark
09-19-2011, 09:15 PM
has been slow in the okanagan as well!!! None of my crew has even heard a bugle or chirp out there yet!
Spent the past 2 days at our honey hole where we killed a bull on the 18th the past 2 years in a row....... absolutely nothing! :(

palmer
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Very vocal here, but I think that will end when they open on Sunday....

Slime green cat
09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Hope it will be beginners luck for me ! First hunting season living in the Koots, Have yet to take a large game animal ... and I have the next 3 days off .
Gear is in the truck, and Im going to shoot a cow elk in the morning :mrgreen:

Not even sure where Im headed .. Staying below 1100 meters and hoping for the best :)

Ourea
09-19-2011, 09:34 PM
has been slow in the okanagan as well!!! None of my crew has even heard a bugle or chirp out there yet!
Spent the past 2 days at our honey hole where we killed a bull on the 18th the past 2 years in a row....... absolutely nothing! :(

Full moon .... record heat .... elk are going about their business differently as a result.... gotta adapt to the conditions ..... oh, and you can't crow and not expect "your" areas to be negatively impacted by a new and increasing influx of hunting pressure ..... just sayin .....

mark
09-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Full moon .... record heat .... elk are going about their business differently as a result.... gotta adapt to the conditions ..... oh, and you can't crow and not expect "your" areas to be negatively impacted by a new and increasing influx of hunting pressure ..... just sayin .....

Not where you think!!! And there was no other hunting pressure where we were!

Ourea
09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Not where you think!!! And there was no other hunting pressure where we were!

.... of course.... you only tread on virgin soil.... my mistake

wlbc
09-19-2011, 09:52 PM
We got five this year. Tougher hunting though, more people, more wolves.

ELK Seeker
09-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Both of my spots have come up with nothing so far. Heard one bugle yesterday way off in the distance in answer to my horse whinnying lol. It needs to cool down.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Managed a small 6 point (maybe by fluke) up high on the 11th (central koots), but he never made a peep, nor did any other elk for the 3 days we were there, with the exception of nights when we could indeed hear bugling. All the fresh sign we were seeing seemed to be in the north facing thicker stuff. Not sure how it's been since.

Wrayzer
09-20-2011, 06:37 AM
I've seen one 6x6 Okanagan bull this year, day after they opened, but since then nothing....trail cam has had a heard of cows licking up the salt as late as noon and the cam isn't near the thick stuff.

Broken Arrow
09-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Returned back from our bout with the elk up in Bull River, our freezer wasn't happy either. Seen lots of sign, scrapes, they weren't bugling much. Our 2nd day up there on the 4th of September we were covering a cut block late afternoon, and called a nice 6 point he responded right away. He came out of the tree line right away in our direction, wind in our favor, at 100 yards where I could range him, he stops. Then silence, minutes past by I hoping he'll flank us so I could get a shot. But no he strolls, side hilling across the cut block toward the timber line. We try again the next morning but apparently he was on the move. seen cows and satillites after, but that was the only 6 point well get next time.
Heading up to PG and monday for a LEH bull moose near bowron river keep you posted.

bozzdrywall
09-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Still no elk seen two bulls nothing worth a shot but I will not give up so easily

sawmill
09-21-2011, 04:03 PM
If I wasn`t so tied up with work I`d be gutting a cow right now.Friday night I get back out.

elksmasher
09-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Too hot,Too dry,Try dark,dark,thick timber,near water,Think Whitetail.

rocksteady
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Too hot,Too dry,Try dark,dark,thick timber,near water,Think Whitetail.

I thought that too...but after going there and doing that, it does not seem to be helping....

Slime green cat
09-21-2011, 05:45 PM
If I wasn`t so tied up with work I`d be gutting a cow right now.Friday night I get back out.

Was gonna call you Joe ! but I knew you would be working ... had the last few days off, but everyone I know is working week days :icon_frow
I will be off again the 29th and 30th ... maybe we could get out for an evening hunt for one last crack at a cow if you dont connect on the weekend ?

pescado
09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Hope it turns on as I start my 3 week hunt tomorrow. The people I hunt with in the trench have found it slower this year as well. It's my favorite trip of the year and I plan for these weeks. Good Luck.

boonerbuck
09-21-2011, 06:45 PM
After 3 weeks in a usually fantastic spot....I have seen 1 cow elk. There was a two day window where they were roaring...several camps connected and then right back to nothing moving or talking. Worst elk hunt EVER. My buddy did connect with a nice six point and duty pretty much killed my shot at that 2 day window. A very frustrating situation but Im happy as hell for him and cant wait to split up that meat. The pack up the bluff was a nasty piece of business...

yota
09-21-2011, 07:15 PM
I was up the tuchodi aug 20th to sept 2nd saw nothing and heard one bull clear his throat but that was it. We did manage to see quite a few wolves though. I'm planning on going up to Chetwynd/Dawson Creek area though mid Oct.

Heres a question i doubt any one can answer considering this thread but do you think the bulls will be vocal durring oct 15-22nd? I heard somewhere that bulls have more then one rut? is this true? and if so how far apart are the ruts USUALLY???

buckeye77
09-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Can't find them where we usually hunt so we headed into the thickest, coolest and wettest parts of the bush and sure enough they were in there and in significant numbers. Unfortunately they are not responding to any calls, so it is extremely tough to hunt them in there when you can't get any response. Hopefully picks up later in the month.

Weatherby Fan
09-21-2011, 07:36 PM
I was up the tuchodi aug 20th to sept 2nd saw nothing and heard one bull clear his throat but that was it. We did manage to see quite a few wolves though. I'm planning on going up to Chetwynd/Dawson Creek area though mid Oct.

Heres a question i doubt any one can answer considering this thread but do you think the bulls will be vocal durring oct 15-22nd? I heard somewhere that bulls have more then one rut? is this true? and if so how far apart are the ruts USUALLY???

I'm thinking the rut would be over by then but I have had bulls answer my bugle and have even called a cpl in in mid October so don't rule out calling them late in the season.

yota
09-21-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking the rut would be over by then but I have had bulls answer my bugle and have even called a cpl in in mid October so don't rule out calling them late in the season.

Awesome thats good to know. I was so disapointed when we went up the tuchodi. Theres nothing more majestic then an elk buggling and to only hear one the whole 2 weeks kinda sucked but we did have fun while we were there.

rocksteady
09-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Went for a quick hunt this morning...Saw a few cows/calves, but could not make it happen after a 1500 metre stalk. Something spooked them just as I got close (+/- 400 yards)....Coyote maybe? Wind was favorable for me...

Did see the big 6 over on the private land, he only had 3 cows with him and I did not hear a bugle from him in 3 hours of hunting the area....He was not chasing cows, he was grazing and smacking a little willow bush around, in between bites...

bforce750
09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Its just starting to get very good now Bozz, Ive called in 7 bulls in the last week and two frinds came up from the coast and we got two cows in two days for them, Im finding the elk in some pretty weird spots this year...put it this way dont overlook anything...start cow talking a little and then throw out a chuckle or a weak bugle...good luck

ELK Seeker
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Man o man...... I hit one of my spots this morning and guess what? NOTHING AGAIN!!! Found sighn up in the high country that they had been there but only passing through. I have not seen a shooter bull all season. The weather is playing havoc with them here, if anyone has any secrets to the okanogan please let me know :)

GoatGuy
09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
The Peak of the Rut

You can time the peak of the rut consistently year after year if you follow the Biological Time Hypothesis.* Read the book Biological Time by Bernie Taylor for all the details. If you want to be in elk country when the biggest bulls are competing for the right to breed then you'll want to bookmark this page and plan your vacation time accordingly. The peak of the rut can last from 5-10 days.* The peak generally falls 25 weeks after Easter (6 months and 1 week). The entire rutting period for elk generally lasts a full month (September 15th - October 15th). Weather is a factor which can throttle the tempo of the rut. Heavy snows will slow it down and cool, wet weather (rain) can make the elk more active.

2007********** September 26-October 5th

2008********** September 10-25* (expect newborn calves around May 30th 2009)

2009********** September 28 - October 9* (expect newborn calves June 13-20, 2010)

2010********** September 23 - October 8* (Archers be ready, 1st rifle hunters expect younger bulls with harems!)

2011*********** October 10-23 (Rifle Hunters be ready!)

You will also want to follow the lunar cycle DURING the rut to maximize your opportunities with elk.* That is to say during a full moon period the elk will be more active at night often traveling further and crossing roads into new areas in search of available cows.* The theory behind the full moon is elk can see better at night and can enjoy more freedom to move around while at the same time avoiding predators (including hunters). During new moon (darkest phase of the cycle) elk will stay put at night and travel more during daylight hours.* The idea is that during dark nights elk are more likely to stay in groups and not travel to avoid predators like mountain lions, bears and wolves.* Your best chances to find active elk are during the new moon phase closest to the peak of the rut.* If the new moon falls during the peak of the rut you can bet the elk will be more active during the day which will increase your opportunities significantly.* To test out this theory visit elk country in May or June during the dark phase (new moon).* Two factors will help you see more elk during this time.* Green grasses and plants are abundant and the new moon will help you find elk feeding in meadows.* This is also a relaxed time of year for elk and they are less wary.* Hunting pressure affects elk and they are much harder to find even during new moon phases during September through December.*

How did we do in previous years?

2003************* October 6-17************* (Our first year filming and we went way too early.* We had to wait until 2004 until we had enough footage to make a film.)

2004************* September 27 - October 8*** (We nailed the peak of the rut in Wyoming this year. See Elk Heaven (DVD) for proof.* We saw more huge bulls than ever before)

2005************* September 12-23 ***** (Check out the stats for bull elk from GMU Research to see the spike in archery hunter success that year)

2006************* October 5-19************* (We got anxious and went to Wyoming a bit too early in October.* We hit the peak just as it began. See Return to Elk Heaven - DVD)

2007 *** *** *** October 1-10** *** *** *** (We nailed it. We hit the peak perfectly. See Elk Heaven 2007 (DVD) for proof.)

2008************ September 10-25******* (See Elk Heaven 2008 - coming soon)

Use the following links to find out when Easter falls on any given year:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/easter.html

And the Lunar Calendar:

http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/

A lot of people think the peak of the rut happens the same time every single year but it doesn't.* The rut in general is not the same as the peak of the rut.* There is a very significant distinction between the different periods of the rut.* Pre-rut, peak and post-rut.* You will find younger bull elk will be most active during the pre-rut and during the post-rut.* But if you are after a different kind of elk, the biggest bull on the mountain, then the only time you may see him are during the peak of the rut and during harsh winter months.* Other than those times it's highly unlikely you will see him as he hides in the dark timber during the day and does most of his feeding during the night.

Copyright* 2002-2009 ElkHeaven.com, All Rights Reserved. *

Some pretty outlandish stuff there.

The rut is all about the cows and timing the calf drop in the spring so that it happens at greenup and that it's synchronized.

Contrary to popular belief (and EK lore) heat/cold/frost does not change when elk rut. They don't wait for it to get cold, it happens the same time every year. Making sure the calfs drop at the right time in the spring is crucial to survival and minimizes the effects of predation on neonates.

Anyways, the bulls are bugling in the EK, same as every year.

BlacktailStalker
09-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Yup the elk are moving and tappin' ass big time, they really fired up the day I left, short trips suck :roll: :lol:

300H&H
09-26-2011, 09:25 PM
I sure hope things pick up for us...we have LEH antlerless elk Oct 01-10 in Zone X 4-03

JoshCampbell
09-27-2011, 08:11 AM
i have found a few spots this season where the bulls have rubbed many trees in small areas, just curious if they will stay around thiese areas all year or do they travel large distances during this time of the year. and finally heard a bugle 2 days ago.

bozzdrywall
10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Well I finally found them. They are not were I thought they would be but close. This morning I had the x on a bull but could only count 5 on one side due to the thick stuff. Going to find him or his grand dad tomorrow morning. Finally got some action woohoo.

steepNdeep
10-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I guess it just depends where you are. Seemed to be a normal rut in the EK after the first week's full moon & heat. Three friends each killed one a few weeks ago & I did a week ago. Others have been chasin' buglin' around non-stop for 3 weeks... It varies area to area.

GoatGuy
10-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I guess it just depends where you are. Seemed to be a normal rut in the EK after the first week's full moon & heat. Three friends each killed one a few weeks ago & I did a week ago. Others have been chasin' buglin' around non-stop for 3 weeks... It varies area to area.

Or think about it from the animals perspective. The cows aren't going to drop their calves 1 month late next year because it was hot.....................

The rut happens same time every year. It's the hunters interpretation of the rut that confuses people.

steepNdeep
10-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Or think about it from the animals perspective. The cows aren't going to drop their calves 1 month late next year because it was hot.....................The rut happens same time every year. It's the hunters interpretation of the rut that confuses people.

I agree, they still go at it whenever a cow is in estrous, (peak ~the same couple weeks every year) but often it's nocturnal... Early Sept. we camped on the mountain 2 nights & had bulls ruttin' & buglin' within' 80 yards of our camp all night under the full moon... BUT they shut up by 5am. We had 1 straggler that we had goin' for a bit at 50 yards at first light, but he soon headed up to bed for the day, & shut up too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2699/4538766345_6434c5a9b3_z.jpg

Fallen Timber
10-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Or think about it from the animals perspective. The cows aren't going to drop their calves 1 month late next year because it was hot.....................

The rut happens same time every year. It's the hunters interpretation of the rut that confuses people.

That's an excellent point about people interpreting it differently. However, there are still some things I don't know and am trying to learn.

Are you saying that there is no variance at all with relation to peak rut (as I've had people tell me before)? Or is there still the possibility that it can range across a week to 10 day period from year to year? If it is based strictly on photoperiod than it would make sense it happens at exactly the same time (to the day approximately) each year. However, you mentioned they are trying to time births to greenup/spring flush. The timing of this can vary widely, so it would stand to reason that the animals have adapted to this as well and are trying to time it correctly (possibly by something outside our comprehension like lunar cycles, how far the canucks will go in the playoffs, etc.).

ElliotMoose
10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
I think the Full Moon and hot weather during the peak this year messed alot of hunters up. The animals were very active at night, when most guys are drinkin beer or playing music and cant hear it happening and then come morning when the guys are out, the animals were dead silent. We spent 3 weeks in some of the most productive elk country in the EK and only saw one 6 point bull in our travels. We saw more elk down low by the rivers on the highway (70 or 80 of them) than in the bush, where we saw 4 in total. Lots of whitetails and bears around though.

riflebuilder
10-04-2011, 05:55 PM
We got into a few bulls early then not much. Had a good crack at a big bull but couldn't get close enough before dark to get a shot. The only other bull that we had a chance at ws being protected by three Grizzley Bears so we let him walk. Been a quite year the buchers are pretty slow.

bozzdrywall
10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Went after another bull tonight this time he was legle 6x6. Could not get a good shot so passed on a neck shot I would like to put one in the lungs if I could one more try in the morning.

GoatGuy
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
That's an excellent point about people interpreting it differently. However, there are still some things I don't know and am trying to learn.

Are you saying that there is no variance at all with relation to peak rut (as I've had people tell me before)? Or is there still the possibility that it can range across a week to 10 day period from year to year? If it is based strictly on photoperiod than it would make sense it happens at exactly the same time (to the day approximately) each year. However, you mentioned they are trying to time births to greenup/spring flush. The timing of this can vary widely, so it would stand to reason that the animals have adapted to this as well and are trying to time it correctly (possibly by something outside our comprehension like lunar cycles, how far the canucks will go in the playoffs, etc.).

A couple days (not 10) depending on body condition, but generally they try to drop their calves, in this case, the same time every year, which means estrus and 'the rut' is the same time every year. Obviously greenup can change by a couple days, but over time it's pretty consistent in a given area (there will be regional differences). There's a difference between the 'first green' (bear hunters time) and greenup - calves are dropped when the veg is at its highest nutrient content.

Also most of the cows will come into estrus at the same time so the breeding is synchronized and so is the calf drop (typically more mature cows coming in earlier). Neonate survival is much higher if cows can 'litter the forest' with newborns as opposed to having things spread out.

So when the hunters say the rut is or isn't on it's not actually about the elk breeding. The hunters rut is when they're seeing or hearing the most action.

elkhunter1
10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Got my big cow elk on day 3.
7 am. 4-03 cranny
Sept. 22 had almost given up on elk nobody seeing anything.
was trying for whitetail,
Came around corner on logging road.
10 plus elk.???on road.
Partner says check elevation.
Gps says 920 good to go under 1100 meters.
I get out shoot my cow 7 mm mag walks 10 feet down.
partner does not shoot.???
Worried about elevation.
Could have had 2 elk down.
Anyway have lots of good meet.
Thanks for lots of info From ENZO.