PDA

View Full Version : Re posting to get some more wisdom regarding my pack hunt.

bosca
09-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I am

I will be doing a pack hunt for mule deer in the Clinton area at the of Sept. We will be hunting in the alpine (8000 ft). The hike in is fairly moderate...about 5km at a reasonable slope and 1km steep(pack mule steep). I have back packed for quite a few years and I have hunted all my life but never both togeather and never this late. Was wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom to pass on regard to....

-Any lessons you have learned about this type of hunting...What you would try differently.
-Things to consider from the camp perspective.
-Things to consider regarding meat care and transport.

Also hoping someone can refer a good meat cutter with cooler facilities in the area...You never know. :)

Any advice is appreciated?

Banjo
09-20-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm doing the same hunt mid October. Gonna take the quads as far as we can get then head in on foot and setup camp as high as comfort will allow. If you have any tips when you get back I'd love to hear them. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some photos and hearing some stories about all the big antlered deer running around up there....:-D

Dirty Steve
09-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I just did an alpine hunt, 2 nights we went through 38litres of water for 3 of us. Blew me away!
Colapsable water bag and filter pump! I always took water for granted untill then.

bosca
09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the water. I was counting on using about 6 -8L per day per person but I may consider taking an extra empty container to fill on the way. Problem is I can't seem to get my pack weight under 70lbs. Water is about 1 km from camp down a very steep hill so going for water will be a bit of a workout. I guess you gota do what you gotta do...
Thanks again

Trophyslayer
09-20-2011, 11:23 PM
70lbs is alot.... how many days are you going for?.. i have done a bit of alpine hunting and be prepared for freak snow storms you can go to sleep and its 10 degrees and wake up -5 and a foot of snow up in the high hills around clinton

Rob
09-21-2011, 12:51 AM
6-8 litres per day/per person seems like a lot to me. Plan on bringing garbage bags to collect water if it rains/snows. Also bring emergen-c or powerade juice crystals to replace eltrolytes. Snow sucks for melting so bring extra fuel if thinking of melting snow wit your stove. Have fun.

70lbs is alot of weight, not sure what your packing for gear but make sure your not packing things you wont use. Its easy to throw those "just in case" things into the bag.