PDA

View Full Version : Meat spoiling?

Wookloaf
09-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi there, i'm fairly new to hunting (on my own). So I was just wondering how long after you kill a grouse do you figure the meat would be bad. I was out just earlier, and shot a grouse with my .22 and then cleaned it probably about 45 mins later. I was wondering because while i was cleaning it, it kinda had a strange oder to it.

Thanks!!

blacklab
09-17-2011, 09:14 PM
When you get home soak it in salt water overnight. I will be fine.
I hang all my birds overnight then clean, salt water soak and eat em up.

Wookloaf
09-17-2011, 09:16 PM
I gave it a really good cleaning and then put it in the freezer.. is that a bad idea?

SR80
09-17-2011, 09:25 PM
i usually clean them right after killing them, just make sure you leave the wings on. if its hot i bring a cooler with ice in it to store them in.

bosca
09-17-2011, 10:46 PM
If you are not familiar to the smell of game when field dressing it will probably smell a little 'off'. Main thing is keep it clean and don't let it get too warm. Ie., keep it out of direct sun. I will usually clean and remove all feathers but one wing (for species identification) within a couple hours.

Sounds like you did everything right...no worries.

My favorite way too cook...either grouse catchitore (chicken tomato stew) or cut up the breasts and breaded and fried (grouse fingers).

Enjoy

Wookloaf
09-17-2011, 10:59 PM
:) Awesome thanks everyone.

nature girl
09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Wookloaf congradulations on getting a grouse. It will be good eating. Try making grouse fajitas now that is good.

Wookloaf
09-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks nature girl, there seems to be a lot of different suggestions/methods out there for cooking them up, I hope to be trying quite a few of them this season :)

new trigger
09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Sounds like your due for another hunt trip, give you a chance to become more familiar and confident.
Any, is a good reason to use to get out and hunt.
Congats on your first hen, sure is addictive.

Wookloaf
09-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Haha, Ya new trigger, it sure is... i'm actually heading out this weekend for my deer trip with my old man.. Wish me luck!

finngun
09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
it's handy keep newspaper in you back bag ..wrapping cleaned grouse for that.but first use some clean paper-like paper towel ,don't wanna ink in meat.. ..never use plastic.wrap-or bag...spoil meat easy.. even you can carry same salt with you hot days..

Singleshotneeded
09-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Roast grouse is really good too, recipes can be found online, or CACCIATORE style(Italian recipe, slow fried with tomato sauce, olives, onions, etc)...cacciatore is Italian for "hunter", and it's the usual way they cook their birds over there, either that or roasted on spits.
Enjoy your grouse, the best thing to do is to step on the wings immediately after shooting, pull up on the legs and release the breast.
Then I lop off one wing, rinse the breast with a bit of water, and throw it in a plastic bag which goes into my cooler. This way you'll always
have fresh, tasty grouse that taste great! If you're shooting them whilst hiking, you can get a flexible bag-cooler that'll fit in your pack,
just put an ice pack in there and then transfer to your main cooler when you get back to your truck.