PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer around the Kamloops area

dave_83golf
09-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey Gents,

I am in no means a veteran hunter, but I would to think I am reasonably experienced in the act of seeking out Mule Deer in the Kamloops area.

I was just wondering what everyone has been experiencing thus far...

I hiked about 3 km before day break earlier this week (sept 14) to a spot that I would generally see 20-50 deer a day, and today, (sept 17) I went into another familiar spot, where I would generally see 10-20 animals in an evening hunt...

Both days, I did not see one single deer... this includes the drive in on the main roads, the access roads, etc etc.... (where I would usually run into 3 or 4 does and a few small bucks)

I'm just finding it to be a strange start to the season, obviously, the weather has been a tad different then the past few seasons, and I'm not worried about the season ahead, just curious if anyone has experienced the same thing, or perhaps the exact opposite...

thanks guys.

Dave

Darksith
09-17-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't know if the weather has been much different from the past few seasons. 2 years ago I remember hunting in nov and it was super warm, last year was also super warm in sept I thought? With the heat the animals are staying in the trees, on the north slopes, and not moving much in daylight. My trail cam is telling me they are there.

Jelvis
09-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey it's kammy time. Hi there golf and Dark.
You say no deer where you saw dozens b4? Weird eh?
How high elevation? I guess about 4500 or so or no way?

Steeleco
09-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Gone one day, all over the place the next, that's hunting!!

skibum
09-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Same thing Dave - went out to do some scouting where I saw lots of deer / deer signs last year, no signs yet, not even a pellet where there were lots last year.

I guess the deer have not really moved down yet, although I don't really know where they would move down from around Kamloops as it seems to plateau pretty quick in some areas - guest they are just deeper in the bush

4 point
09-17-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm heading out in the morning early to a area that I saw lots of deer while scouting the area 8/28 including one 4 pt. Hope to see them again.

sakofinnlight
09-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Dave that will change next wknd when im in town :) oh and they seemed to be moving pretty good here where iam, as I put that perfect whitey meat buck in the cooler!

bosca
09-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I don't usually get started until late Sept/early Oct (too hot right now) but I have been doing some scouting at high elevation (8000 ft) and have found a fair amount of game.
Odd thing is that I have spoken to a few different people in town (Kamloops) that have seen impressive bucks right down in valley bottom in town and out around hefley, cherrycreek, and Pritchard.
As you mentioned our weather trends seem to be off kilter...I have seen areas that normally have a good amount of surface water with none... and areas that normally have none with some...Not sure why but it may explain some of what you have observed.
My guess is that you will see things start to 'normalize' in th e next couple weeks.

bosca
09-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I don't usually get started until late Sept/early Oct (too hot right now) but I have been doing some scouting at high elevation (8000 ft) and have found a fair amount of game.
Odd thing is that I have spoken to a few different people in town (Kamloops) that have seen impressive bucks right down in valley bottom in town and out around hefley, cherrycreek, and Pritchard.
As you mentioned our weather trends seem to be off kilter...I have seen areas that normally have a good amount of surface water with none... and areas that normally have none with some...Not sure why but it may explain some of what you have observed.
My guess is that you will see things start to 'normalize' in th e next couple weeks.

Jagermeister
09-17-2011, 09:06 PM
The deer heard that there was less hunting pressure in the Clearwater area and decided to mosey on over that way.

SR80
09-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I went out last monday to one of my fav spots and sat from 6am till 7:30am and saw 14 deer, all does except for two 2 points and also two decent bears. I was quite surprised I saw that many, specially with the full moon last weekend. They were all headed for the thick stuff before 7:30am though, it was getting warm already by then.

Jelvis
09-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Got to hunt real early. get out there at daybreak. Roche Lake and up by Sun peaks

shelg
09-17-2011, 10:50 PM
I have seen lot of deer but they are high and deep in the trees still. Deep in the wood around water.

Wookloaf
09-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm here in Kelowna, and I know the weather was getting fairly hot there for a bit so i wasn't seeing much ( i go target practicing every weekend btw). Went out today and since it was givin off a light rain and a nice breeze I saw 4 white tail, as well as a whole bunch of coyote too!

weathers gonna be gettin cooler here soon, ya should see them makin their rounds, I would imagine!

dave_83golf
09-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Yea I don't have any intention of shooting anything until October anyways, just wanted to see what the trends were for others. The forest floor is fairly loud right now too... I went deep into the thick last night, and still didn't move anything, but its possible these guys are hearing the twigs breaking from 3-400 yards away, and that's why we aren't jumping them... I love how hunting is always different, keeps us guessing...

good luck everyone!

Jelvis
09-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Around Kammy bucks is all about kammy and it's all directional hunting heaven for muley and moose.
Mule deer like dry hot weather and semi open forest.
They like the transitional areas from sage and grass to lighter shrubs and then into semi open forest using ridges for travel corridors along water drainages.
Like behind Trapp Lake and up into Tod Mountain area or up by Lil Caribou and over to Chuwells. Monte and so much more.
Velvets coming off most mule buck antlers now I see and hear.
Jelapeeno.
Bob and/or Brown for you big buck clowns lol.

russm86
09-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I have seen lots of deer around in this early season. All up higher, as one would expect for the temperatures and this early season though. I have seen 6 bucks to date in 3 or 4 short trips out in the bush. Last night I saw probably 15 does, one funny looking non-typical 3 point, and one big buck but I screwed up on that one by trying to move to get a different angle and was never able to count points 150yards through the trees before it turned and ran, the rack was very tall and thick and I'd have been surprised if it wasn't a 4 point. The weather was also a lot cooler and darker last night though, I see we got some snow in the hills now this morning and no more full moon. By the way this was all just via road hunting as I had my old man with me.

swampdonkey
09-19-2011, 10:52 AM
How high up was the snow greenstone area

russm86
09-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes snow up top of greenstone. From town, looks like top 1/3 of the mountain, not sure exact elevation. So possibly in areas of similar elevation as well.

Darksith
09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
went for a drive to clearwater today for work, lots of snow up real high, thats a great thing.

Jel, I never said Im not seeing them, i just said that they are staying in the shade once daylight hits. Like I said, my trail cam is telling me they are there, just not the monster Im looking for so I just moved it to a new area. The deer are always there, I think most deer around kamloops don't migrate too much as there isn't much alpine around, and high up isn't really high for the most part. They'll be sticking to the trees for the most part, you just gotta catch them early as they start to move from feeding to bedding. Its too early to be hunting them deer anyway, unless its a monster I'll pass for the most part. Too much time left to spoil the fun now.

Jelvis
09-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I like waiting a bit too for later in October around Halloween time and on but now it's earlier probably mid October now and go out for a drive b4 that.
Kamloops is supreme for mule deer habitat and has the deer to prove it.
Cooling down a bit now so the deers appetites will rise now and they feed way more starting now, getting ready for winter. Storing fat for energy fuel.
Bucks can already feel the hormones jumping a bit. Rubbing trees too.
Jel .. Kamloops aka (Mule deer City) .. looking pretty dang good! Ding dang good.

beaverfever89
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Dave... Im in Kamloops aswell and have been out here and there since the beginning of Sept. Including tonight, i have seen about a ten% drop in the amount of bucks ive seen each time i go out. The area that i have been watching is private property and not seeing any pressure so i dont know whats going on... The first four days in sept i saw atleast a couple four points everytime i went out and now im lucky to see a two or a spike. Hopefully this changes as we get into some cooler temps. Good luck!

Jelvis
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
I think Porcupine Ridge is the highest around other than Chuwells by Kamloops.
.. the deer migrate down by Watching Creek later with the snows but could be up on Porcupine or top of Chuwells.
Like said earlier the bucks will be in the timber in the day for now.

lovemywinchester
09-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I've been out in the Kamloops hills the last few nights looking around. I'm finding lots of tracks and droppings and one set of big buck tracks but no live deer. Heard about six shots Sunday night from different parts of a valley I was in so someone is seeing bucks. Lots of moose tracks as well. Cows everywhere as well. And salt licks. Not sure how that affects mulies.

SR80
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been out in the Kamloops hills the last few nights looking around. I'm finding lots of tracks and droppings and one set of big buck tracks but no live deer. Heard about six shots Sunday night from different parts of a valley I was in so someone is seeing bucks. Lots of moose tracks as well. Cows everywhere as well. And salt licks. Not sure how that affects mulies.

The cows around kamloops are such a pain. You'll be in the middle of no where, at least you think, and you'll run into a bunch of cows. Not to mention filling up your trail cam memory cards!

lovemywinchester
09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
The cows around kamloops are such a pain. You'll be in the middle of no where, at least you think, and you'll run into a bunch of cows. Not to mention filling up your trail cam memory cards!

Do the mulies usually avoid the cows? Like you say they are everywhere. They will be rounded up soon though won't they?

Jelvis
09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Those cows are gross man, the deer don't like that heavy warm stinky cow poo smell but I have seen tracks right in the shite from a small deer.
The smell from cattle is so thick hunters can gag on the aroma what about deer?
Couldn't smell a predator with that cow smell everywhere. They will and are seen close to cows but by powerline cuts and farms lower down but in the hills they try to steer clear ( no pun intended on steer) lol. They will lick the salt blocks but after October more.
The cattle are supposed to be out by mid October. Some say the end of October, I say now, but they have rules to follow as well.
Deer also use cattle trails too a bit but make their own all the time on steeper ground and ridges.
Jel .. in the Loops

russm86
09-20-2011, 07:30 AM
On my bow hunt this year, I was driving a logging road into my hunting location and had to push a bunch of damn cattle off the road with my truck. Not even 20 yards out the other side of the herd of cattle I saw a doe. Couldnt see anything else drove ahead a few yards and back in behind the doe was a nice meat buck. I drove down the road about another 50 yards parked the truck. Just as I was pulling the bow out of my truck I turn around and the doe is coming over the little hump right towards me. I squatted down behind the devils club next to the road and next thing you know the buck follows over the top of the hump. Hump was only 33 yards away but it was still walking right towards me so I waited and it stopped broadside at 15yards. My first bow buck and it was so easy I couldn't pass it up. Best steaks I have ever had I think. Anyways, back on topic. I always thought they would avoid the cattle too but I was very surprised to see the does and buck as I said only like 20 yards from the cattle so I'm not sure they really care. They may not "hang out" with them but didn't seem to mind crossing through them. I have also heard from a guy who was stalking a 4-point. The 4-point knew he was there though and lead him through a big heard of cattle and out the otherside by the time the guy could track through all the shit-beasts he was long gone.

SR80
09-20-2011, 07:58 AM
I used to think that cows would drive the deer away but I starting to think that they don't, just from my experiences. Im no pro though.

doubled
09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Once the guns of Navarone start blasting, animals clue into this and start disappearing. Add some predator pressure, full moon, hot weather and that is what we are seeing these days folks.

Jelvis
09-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I learned that once the lead starts flying and the vehicles and walkers start walkin, the deer go up into the tops of little hills connected to a main ridge overlooking hunters walking in and up, then they see and go if needed.
Then behind that ridge another little ridge with deer. Some where near is a pond or three with water. Cover is there as well as feed near by and bedding spots.
Could be a high ridge along a secondary road that most won't hike but go to the end of the ridge and go around like a easier short cut in behind. BOOM!
Jelvis .. Kamloops B.C. Canada .. Deer City .. Mule Deer Rule .. . I pity dah fool

Livewire322
09-20-2011, 05:05 PM
yeah i had the same results on the junior hunt. last year i passed up 2 spikes because we were seeing so many but now i regret it. we did see one deuce but i couldnt get a shot.
it was warm out and thats what im going to blame... although there was alot of coyotes (15 in 5 days)

sakofinnlight
09-20-2011, 05:50 PM
hmm deer dont like cattle..... here is my opinion, it used to be that generally when alot of cows are in a area I want to hunt, it ends up that I dont see many if any deer! well this past wknd I was out and as I approached a big cut I put my binos up and much to my dismay there were approx 40 cattle in the block, I continued to walk closer to them and when I was abut a click away i looked again and sure enought there were 2 white tails feeding among the cows. I then put on a very slow and careful stalk as I didnt want the cattle to spook thus scaring the deer out of the area as well, I got within what i thought was shooting range and I layed down on a log and watched these deer feed, I could tell 1 of the deer was a buck so I waited and waited for a good shot and for the cattle to be out of the way. 10 minutes had passed and my little buck i wanted stepped away from the cows and I took my shot dropping my first whitey from 314 yards :) it was a 3x2 well 4x3 if you count brow tines on a whitey! So now I guess its worth hunting around cows? as these deer seemed right at home with the cattle.

Jelvis
09-20-2011, 07:02 PM
We're talking mule deer so far see the heading. lol Mule deer around the Kamloops area not ..
Whitetail in Kelowna with the cows in a big cut block with sako, lol.
Jel .. Kamloops trumps Kelowna for mule deer hunting .................. imholol

sakofinnlight
09-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry for posting some of my some input Jelvis!
Next time I will ask your permission before I click the "post quick reply"
:P

LoonLake96
09-20-2011, 08:09 PM
I was out in Kamloops area for youth hunt and there were big deer everywhere i looked!

Looking_4_Jerky
09-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Deer are not bothered in the least by cattle. Be it whitetails or mule deer, Thompson region or Okanagan. If rangeland is being overgrazed and cattle begin over-eploiting various deer browse, deer often move to areas less utilized by cattle. So indirectly, deer do at times avoid areas of high cattle densities but not because they are afraid or are averse to the cattle themselves.

In the interior where cattle are common, it only takes a short while for deer to learn that cattle are not a threat. They are no more threatened by cows than by moose, elk, or even black bears, which I have commonly seen foraging very close to deer (if a deer has never had the run put on it by a bear - and not all bears bother trying to attack deer - they will be no more averse to them than other animals).

As for those damn cattle salt licks, I have been hearing for years that deer and moose do like the brown blocks (not the blue), but I think I may have seen a deer or two on licks in my whole hunting career. Certainly not enough to stake a damn block out. I presume it has to do with whether or not they are getting the salt they need from their environment, and in the drier area that Kamloops is, they probably do. I guess in areas where they have a hard time getting the salt they need they would be more inclined to supplement it with any artificial sources they can find.

Brian011
09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
the bucks will still be in areas that have cattle, yesterday evening my dad was out in some logging and saw a bunch of cows so he wasnt really paying attention until three bucks started jumping away, one a a big 4 point, so they were feeding amongst all the cows.

Jelvis
09-20-2011, 09:38 PM
It's all relative to each mountain, ridge, hill, field and water sources.
Cattle are round, fat and lazy. Mule deer are sleek, in shape and have energy galore.
Cattle don't use steep spots and narrow ridge tops to travel.
It all depends what is on each square kilometer in this diverse mule deer habitat.
Jelly Donut .. Mule deer bucks in September, October, November and December.
... Some bucks stay within the fences of the larger private ranches all season
... Some mule deer are around cattle under cleared power lines and fields
... If you hunt up by LacLajeune and behind Sussex and Surrey lakes you see 2getter
... Deer are native animals, cattle are domesticated animals from European ancestry
Mules don't like cattle around but there in their way most of the time.
... Birds of a feather flock 2getter and muleys are not from the cattle family.
... Dress up in a cow suit and infiltrate those four points then if you b leve likeusay

TIKA 300
09-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Little south east of the loops......
Saturday we drove from the Lower Rainland up to Vermon,via West side rd,seen not 1 deer,bear nothing...... Left Vermon sunday morning,took hwy to Westwold and cut off towards Salmon lake,in roughly a 3 km section,we seen 40-50 deer,including a 2 point in velvet crossing in front of us,from that point home to Daroach we seen 00000000000......

Jelvis
09-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Yah good spot to mention near here. On the border of Region 8 and 3.
By Westwold/Salmon/Monte hills with supreme deer hunting opportunities.
Mule deer mountains maintaining mega moments much more magnificent memories.