PDA

View Full Version : WT in Region 8 (Help)

Sellis75
09-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Hey Im thinking of heading to Region 8 for WT and want opinions on what area would suffice for someone that has never been to Region 8 - almost needle in haystack so any opinions and assistance would help.

Steeleco
09-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Reb 8 is a big area. They exist all the way from Merritt east to Osoyoos and further. There are far more in the east of the region than the west. But that's true of white tail hunters too.

matt420
09-17-2011, 08:43 PM
that all depends on where your goin in reg. 8 as Steeleco said its a big region, but they do range all over reg. 8

odie1830
09-17-2011, 11:13 PM
I hate to sy it but, you probably might have to get out and do some hiking around. I have only hunted princeton, and Christian Valley. Got a couple of whitetails in christian valley years ago but now things are much more busy up there, pick an area and give it a try. good luck

sarg
09-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Osoyoos to grand forks is a good start. go in with a elk tag to, seen elk in rock creek last year but no shooters.

.300WSMImpact!
09-18-2011, 10:15 AM
none here better off hunting chipmunks, tasty too a bit of a nut flavor,

but seriously, get out and drive, stop and walk you will find them basically anywhere

limit time
09-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I would go up behind Naramata.

Sellis75
09-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Well was going to go Keremeos area - but just wanted advise if should go out further Osoyoos ways - not a region 8 guy so any guidance appreciated.

BigfishCanada
09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
If your going that far, head to the creek named after a rock

cumminsforever
09-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't try around osoyoos-rock creek or up the christian valler I live in osoyoos and I'm not giving you a BS story over the years there has been more activity from everywhere especially the lower mainland and the hunting has gotten tougher n tougher every year to find a buck in general no matter rack or body size.

ruger#1
09-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Whitetails from the anacrists mountain and further east. Look for the bull moose statue on the anacrist mountain. Go in until the pavement turns to dirt. Then go in two kms. There is an old homestead in there with a big Field. I used to hunt in this area. Elk whitetails mulies and bear. Last year in there I seen a lot of turkey crap. It is also a nice place to camp.

johnrousseau
09-18-2011, 08:33 PM
just what we need... someone else wanting to hunt wt's in 8. If you what one of those go to alberta the herds are bigger.

lovemywinchester
09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
just what we need... someone else wanting to hunt wt's in 8. If you what one of those go to alberta the herds are bigger.

You know, I am tagged out for WT buck in reg.3, maybe I will take a drive over to region 8 and bag one there. All this talk about reg. 8 Whities is getting me interested. I hear there are some big bucks out Mable Lake way.

Gunner
09-18-2011, 09:01 PM
You know, I am tagged out for WT buck in reg.3, maybe I will take a drive over to region 8 and bag one there. All this talk about reg. 8 Whities is getting me interested. I hear there are some big bucks out Mable Lake way.

There's the odd one,but be prepared to spend more than a weekend figuring them out:mrgreen: Gunner

cumminsforever
09-19-2011, 02:00 PM
You know kinda temped to start spiking roads to my favorite hunting spots.

Joking although it would keep people out :D. Why don't you guys just hunt your own region instead of making it harder for us local boys to get anything.

LYKTOHUNT
09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
just what we need... someone else wanting to hunt wt's in 8. If you what one of those go to alberta the herds are bigger. Look out a whole wack of us region 5 guys are coming to your neighbor hood soon

d6dan
09-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Joking although it would keep people out :D. Why don't you guys just hunt your own region instead of making it harder for us local boys to get anything.

Who died and made you God?? I hope you never get a Rosie draw on the Island. I'll run you off!:-?. Attitudes like yours won't get you any favors on here.

Now back to the original OP. Look around 8-14-15. Lots of whiteys and a very big area.Pm me and I'll give you some areas.

sarg
09-19-2011, 02:57 PM

i think i'm going to start hunting rock creek area again next year or maybe i'll try and hit it late oct this year, i really like the area, seen some nice animals in there.
sarg:)

Wild one
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Why not try talking to these out of towners that have been hunting YOUR region longer than you have been alive to learn something and maybe it won't be so hard for you.

Iron Glove
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
10 years ago we rarely, if ever saw a whitetail around Tulameen, now they are just up in the woods above the gun club. Rumour has it that there'll be a couple of 50 + year old crippled guys truck hunting there in about 3 weeks. ;)

ruger#1
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Joking although it would keep people out :D. Why don't you guys just hunt your own region instead of making it harder for us local boys to get anything. If you cannot get a deer in your region. Then maybe you should just keep playing deer hunter on your [ Xbox 360 ] and leave the hunting to the men. I have been hunting there since the mid 70s I also do alot of hunting in 8-01. Maybe you should be more worried about the national park. Then us guys that come up for a couple of weeks. You keep on road hunting.

Sellis75
09-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Didnt mean to sour the mood - was only asking for some help and advise for an area not familiar with - and as for hunting in my region, I do hunt region 5 - but looking to branch out and a WT would be perfect. So Region 8 here I come. Thanks to those who have provided some assistance and areas to start out at. And to the haters, relax - lots of animals out there.

ruger#1
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Do not worry about him. There are lots of places to go for whitetails in 8-01 and across. Try the old Bridseville Rd. Lots in that area also. Have fun and be safe.

Wild one
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
8-01, 8-12, 8-14 all hold good WT.

doubled
09-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Lots of whiteys in region 8. I live there and can vouch. Don't listen to the guys that have sour grapes. Rock Creek, Hwy 33, Naramata, Postill Lake, Dee Lake, Aberdeen, Peachland, Summerland, Hwy 5A, etc.

ramron
09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Plenty of whitetail in 8-01 and 8-12 8-14. Maybe cummins should get out of his broken down old dog and do a little walking. No such thing as your own region, give your head a shake!!

tonoffun80
09-19-2011, 04:01 PM
last i checked it was a B.C. hunting license. nice to see most guys are helpful on this site

Sellis75
09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
last i checked it was a B.C. hunting license. nice to see most guys are helpful on this site

Exactly - my thoughts as well - dont see any personal regions in the regulations.

Ronforca
09-19-2011, 05:14 PM
We are not all like that up here.I live in Oliver and do not mind other hunters.Hunted area 8 since 1969 and everyone is welcome as long as they are safe and keep the bottles out of the woods.Find Whiteys East of Oliver and back in the bush Lots of Mulies near the hwy.

Phreddy
09-19-2011, 08:25 PM
As one old guy to another Iron Glove...............I hope you two leave one or two for me. Good luck out there buddy. Give me a call when you come up and we'll have a rot gut coffee. :-)

SimilkameenSlayer
09-19-2011, 08:38 PM
4 wt does in this area [camp b and c] , when i was up hunting there a few days ago ...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb69/Goldboy_bucket/whitetale.jpg

lovemywinchester
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I've been thinking about having a look around the north end of reg. 8. Closer to Kamloops. Was checking out Google earth and it looks pretty built up in all the valleys around Armstrong and below Sicamous. Lots of farm land which should be good for WT but maybe no access or crown land. Any thoughts from you local guys. Besides stay away I mean.

Salty
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't try around osoyoos-rock creek or up the christian valler I live in osoyoos and I'm not giving you a BS story over the years there has been more activity from everywhere especially the lower mainland and the hunting has gotten tougher n tougher every year to find a buck in general no matter rack or body size.

The nice thing about osoyoos is it has lots of hotels doing jack shit since the wake board party crowd have gone home so they beg hunters to come there and go wild! Woah. WT city. lol

Sellis75
09-19-2011, 09:31 PM
OK - let me elaborate a bit more - what about areas from Princeton to Keremeos - have quads, can walk, or even trucks from road. Any advise on these areas? Suggestions? And thanks for all the input and messages about Region 8 - may get further into next year, this year more than likely be closer to Keremeos and vicinity. Quads? Yay or Nay? PM if you wish - thanks again.

bosca
09-19-2011, 10:00 PM
I use to live in Kelowna and have had some success there. I found that the highest concentrations of WT were east of okanagan lake. Two of my favorite spots were up HWY 33 (road to Big White). One is Philpot Rd. And the other was Graystokes Rd....Not to sure about the spelling.

Hope that gives you something to work with.

bosca
09-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry I didn't see the post regarding Priceton/keremeos.

wiggy
09-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Cherryville; lots and i mean lots;

cameron0518
09-20-2011, 08:56 AM
If you get out of the truck a little, Rock Creek still has an over abundance of whities. The open does will make you want to hunt early or late depending on your schedule but it isn't hard to find a buck. Last year, i had mine in the first hour and the year before, it took just over 2, just have to get off the roads to have quicker success but my partners score well road hunting too.

pete_k
09-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Try highway 33 south of Kelowna. The lower end of the Christian Valley road runs parallel to Hwy 33.
Basically, any main logging road you explore on the East side of Highway 33 will eventually end up in the Christian Valley.
The logging in there is very limited and the roads are pretty good. Lot's of places to camp.
Griz bear reserve (wildlife reserve?) East of Christian Valley starting at 40k. CO's shot a sow and 2 cubs 2 years ago stealing
deer meat and otherwise terrorizing the FV nancyboys. (jk guys)
the Town of Beaverdell is a good jumping off point (hope you like Banjo music). Buy a Mulie tag as well. Either source a meat cutter
or bring a big cooler if you plan on hunting in Sept or early Oct.
Good hunting'..