PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Hunt

deer nut
09-17-2011, 06:50 PM
:icon_frow:icon_frow My quest to get fit for my northern elk hunt backfired! I crashed my bicycle riding to work earlier this week and broke my collarbone. I am so bummed out - I was supposed to fly north today!! I've been riding to get in shape for > 3 months!!

I am hopeful I can hunt whitetails in Nov., but it doesn't even come close to bugling elk in the aspens during rut! :icon_frow:icon_frow

Everett
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
That sucks I have broken my left collar bone twice in bike crashes once in halifax second time in Tel Aviv. Hurts like hell and not much you can do about it except wait for it to heal if its your non shooting side you should be able to handle a low recoiling rifle like a .243 in about 4 to 5 weeks. Got in a knife fight 5 weeks after I broke mine in tel Aviv and screwed it up even more.

deer nut
09-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Knife fight eh? I cannot come close to topping that story!! I have 9.5 weeks to be ready for DEWT. Luckily it's not my shooting shoulder!

Everett
09-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Avoid crazy Arab gypsies and there knives and you should be fine:lol:

Allen50
09-17-2011, 07:56 PM
well what a way to get out of hunting, just kidden,, sucks, and sounds like it hirts too, well get it fixed before tempting to hunt you may regret it for ever,, and i just took some extrea weels off my grandsons bike if you like to have them i can send them over,,lol lol well hope you heal ok before its all over,, good luck..:icon_frow

hillclimber
09-17-2011, 08:09 PM
As long as its not your shooting shoulder you will most likely be hunting full time by November. I broke my collarbone and 2 weeks after I went to a summer camp and was doing a ropes course and even went cliff jumping (a bit more than 6feet but still was a cliff :P ) It hurt like hell but I didn't let it slow me down. Just take it easy for a few weeks and it'll heal up good

35 Whelen
09-17-2011, 08:11 PM
I have never been to a knife fight. I always brought a gun.....one up them every time.....Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa

mcrae
09-17-2011, 08:24 PM
I have never been to a knife fight. I always brought a gun.....one up them every time.....Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc:-D

Sucks about your collar bone sit back and watch some Indiana Jones and heal up:mrgreen:

rcar
09-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Hey Deer Nut

That is so demoralizing news. All that planning and building excitement down the tubes. My heart goes out to you.

Which clavical did you break? Shooting side? I broke my non shooting side a few years ago and although it was over the Christmas holidays and hunting season wasn't in jeopardy I was still very worried about the upcoming ball season. I took it very easy and didn't push recovery and was playing ball in early April without any issues. I imagine if I was to hunt I would have been able to shoot a month earlier but definitely couldn't have pulled the deer out alone.

All the best on your recovery and hopefully by early November you'll get a chance at a great buck!

deer nut
09-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the kinds words (and for the offer of training wheels). I never realised how much I need my week in the aspens each year. The smells, the frost, the adventure, adrenaline, sleep-deprivation and camaraderie.... it's all part of the package.

I am not getting much sympathy at home - in fact, it may work to my advantage: my wife will probably beg me to go hunting next year because I am so miserable!! Trying not be be too grumpy but I made the mistake of opening the elk pictures 2011 thread and man, did that hurt! Brought it all back....

Good luck everyone!