PDA

View Full Version : indian arm

jeff
09-16-2011, 11:28 PM
any body been in there this year . ive heard theres access now . 4x4 only

bearhunter338-06
09-17-2011, 02:51 AM
there has been access to the end of Indian Arm for years by logging roads from Squamish

odie1830
09-17-2011, 03:22 AM
Roads were washed out last year

burger
09-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Road from squamish has been totally deactivated.

Steeleco
09-17-2011, 08:54 AM
That road has been washed out in one spot or another for near 10 years. You used to be able to drive all the way to the Indian arm but not any more, at least not in a normal truck. The only way anyone would pay to open the road is for the extraction of resources, and if that's the case, I wouldn't want to be getting in their way!

bc mike
09-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I saw pictures from the 4x4 club. Looks like they made it. Quite a trip tho.

hpd
09-17-2011, 10:01 AM
I was in there about a month ago , bridge is washed out at 10 km. Quads and dirt bikes were getting through washout though.

mnholt
09-17-2011, 10:27 AM
I recall a massive baracade just past the height of land heading south from squamish, which at the time seemed like too much work to get my quad over, any one know if that still exists..

x-hare
09-17-2011, 10:30 AM
My Kid made it in last weekend apparently preety sketchy in a couple of spots he had to pull out a landcruiser that got a little over EXUBERANT.

Legi0n
09-17-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm looking at google satellite images and there are power lines along the eastern shore.
Now, following the power lines, shouldn't there be a maintenance road?

recoil
09-17-2011, 10:52 AM
No hydro flies their crews in by helo, my tenant is a lineman and has been flown into all kinds of cool spots in indian arm and howe sound to work on the lines.

lip_ripper00
09-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I was up last fall went in by boat and motorcycle, roads are in great shape, if you can get past the slide area. Did'nt look like their where many vehicles tracks back in their

burger
09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I recall a massive baracade just past the height of land heading south from squamish, which at the time seemed like too much work to get my quad over, any one know if that still exists..

Thats what I remember as well. Concrete block wall on one side of a huge deactivation.

bc mike
09-17-2011, 05:58 PM
4 x 4 guys broke thru that concrete wall and up the other side. They even made it back out!

pierogi
09-21-2011, 11:16 PM
You can make it in a 4x4 truck up to concrete barricade just past the mountain pass. As of last fall barricade could be crossed on a dirt bike may be atv this year. 4x4 car size vehicle could not go pass wash out bridge for years it is located 1km past barricade

budismyhorse
09-22-2011, 08:19 AM
used to hammer that spot every other year when I was in school there late 90's......road wasn't that bad.........too bad the access isn't easier now. This concrete baracade was put in by who?

bc mike
09-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Is this the concrete baracade you refer to? Quite a trip these guys had! http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?142537-Stawamus-to-Indian-Arm-road/page5

Steeleco
09-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Crap, I'll not be taking the truck in there anymore. Go by boat and bike the roads??

MB_Boy
09-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Not to completely sidetrack this thread but what are people's thoughts about 4X4'ers ripping down deactivation "barricades", running through rivers (salmon spawning rivers) to get in to a place that they obviously don't want people in there?

I am assuming this deactivation was for a few reasons as the they didn't want to maintain the road every year; (I had been in there MANY times over the years and saw what happened each spring) but also likely want to ensure the protection (poaching) of the introduced elk herd?

As mentioned I have been in there TONS of times until it was finally deactivated and recognize where those pics are taken.

It's one thing when deactivating a road they take out all the culverts but the road is still there.....but downright barricading it and gating it seems a bit different to me. (it's not gated due to logging in the area either)

new hunter
09-22-2011, 10:23 AM
when I took my core I was told that the road had been deactivated because people kept getting trapped back there and s&r didn't want to deal with it .

pierogi
09-22-2011, 10:09 PM
The barricade was put up just before the Olympics, few soldiers were guarding there for 3 weeks during Olympics. It was not taken down for few reasons one of them is the Elks that were introduced there other reasons who knows but this barricade is irritating. As to the Elk I already saw Elk tracks at far end of Mamquam Road just in the place where it is only 800m from Indian Arm road system

MB_Boy
09-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Interesting to know pierogi about the Olympics and the barricade. They had "lock down" all over the place; I was working on the hill up at the ski races for 3 weeks but a week or 2 prior to the Olympics some buddies skied out and down the backside of Whistler. You end up in the "back country" and have to hike your way out to near Function Junction; well my buddies were hiking out when all of a sudden a bunch of guys in camo appeared magically out of the bush with machine guns and asking plenty of questions.

It's too bad about Indian River Road as we used to camp back in there a lot down in the valley at the other end and also up at Norton.

09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Not to completely sidetrack this thread but what are people's thoughts about 4X4'ers ripping down deactivation "barricades", running through rivers (salmon spawning rivers) to get in to a place that they obviously don't want people in there?

I am assuming this deactivation was for a few reasons as the they didn't want to maintain the road every year; (I had been in there MANY times over the years and saw what happened each spring) but also likely want to ensure the protection (poaching) of the introduced elk herd?

As mentioned I have been in there TONS of times until it was finally deactivated and recognize where those pics are taken.

It's one thing when deactivating a road they take out all the culverts but the road is still there.....but downright barricading it and gating it seems a bit different to me. (it's not gated due to logging in the area either)

Not to start an arguement with you BC Boy, But to awnser your question I am totally ok with it. We need people in the forrest fighting for access. These 4x4ers are just out having a good day. We all need to play nice and pay attention to what we are doing.

Disclaimer: There are obvious lines here that need to not be crossed. Habitat destruction is bad.

MB_Boy
09-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Not to start an arguement with you BC Boy, But to awnser your question I am totally ok with it. We need people in the forrest fighting for access. These 4x4ers are just out having a good day. We all need to play nice and pay attention to what we are doing.

Disclaimer: There are obvious lines here that need to not be crossed. Habitat destruction is bad.

835.....no offense taken at all; was just looking for some opinions. I agree we need to ensure we are fighting for access but in a case such as this, is it truly "access" if a logging company deactivates the road and obviously someone other than the company goes in and puts up barricades to try and keep trucks out?

Having gates put up by logging companies is one thing but with a barricade such as this put up (bridges removed etc) as most people tend to think....likely to also protect the elk in there. Is it fine to just turn your nose up and say "fawk it, I am going"? Trucks going in there now in the state it's in have to drive through salmon spawning rivers and get into an area where they are trying to build up an elk herd. I am not saying 4x4'ers are in there to poach elk but the intention as many have said through various threads in the past couple of years of shutting down the road was likely to protect them. (it also was a pain in the arse to maintain as the spring run off killed the road every year in there)

There are ATV bans in many areas to protect the area such as high alpine etc....is it okay to see pics of ATV'ers in those areas because they are "fighting for our access"? Are they fine to go around gates and barriers in the name of "access" and our "rights"?

Running a truck through a salmon river is frowned in many areas of the province and I read about guys complaining about people doing it on the Fraser and those systems out in the Valley all the time.

For me....I get the "access" issue; I just think if they don't want you in there and obviously don't want motorized vehicles/trucks is it all good to tear down barriers because they want to have "fun"?