PDA

View Full Version : Dead trees under powerlines

Gateholio
09-16-2011, 10:21 PM
PG 66 and I were down in Squamish today, doing a bit of blacktail scouting. One thing we noticed was that under a certain powerline, ALL the trees were dead or dying.(all reddish)

Now, we were lookign at it via binoculars, we didnt' actually treck on it, but it didnt' seem as if they were all cut or that they were all deciduous trees losing their leaves. No trees beside the powerline seemed the same color.

I suppose a hydro crew might have done some tree slaying and we couldn't tell from a distance, but it didnt' appear that way. Pretty weird? Anybody else seen big die off of vegetation under powerlines or maybe it was indeed cut?

Casagrande
09-16-2011, 10:24 PM
PG 66 and I were down in Squamish today, doing a bit of blacktail scouting. One thing we noticed was that under a certain powerline, ALL the trees were dead or dying.(all reddish)

Now, we were lookign at it via binoculars, we didnt' actually treck on it, but it didnt' seem as if they were all cut or that they were all deciduous trees losing their leaves. No trees beside the powerline seemed the same color.

I suppose a hydro crew might have done some tree slaying and we couldn't tell from a distance, but it didnt' appear that way. Pretty weird? Anybody else seen big die off of vegetation under powerlines or maybe it was indeed cut?
Must be great binos to see that from the Ocean Port Hotel!

Gateholio
09-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Saw your wife in Whistler the other day, BTW. What a babe...Can't think of why you would let her travel alone. ;)

Casagrande
09-16-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm still figuring out why she said "I do." Didn't think she was THAT drunk!

09-16-2011, 10:53 PM

Hydro power line right of ways are de-vegetated quite often, either by hack and squirt, slashing or tree girdling.

Gateholio
09-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Hydro power line right of ways are de-vegetated quite often, either by hack and squirt, slashing or tree girdling.

Yeah, for sure, but these trees didn't' look knocked down, the way they usually do it around here. Still, we didnt' walk up to it, we were scouting near but not on the lines...

lip_ripper00
09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girdling

Whonnock Boy
09-16-2011, 11:21 PM
My guess would be that they sprayed it with the same stuff that they use on the railways to kill the vegetation.

Gateholio
09-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Agent Orange !! :)

Gateholio
09-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Too bad, as those powerlines looked to be primo deer feeding spots. We were a bit further away, but we were in some of our good deer areas anyway. :)

proguide66
09-17-2011, 04:53 AM
it is kinda alarming.EVERYTHING is dead uder that strip , always wondered why?creepy......hopefully whatever it is has a reaction on deer antler and makes them very large and scary! We shoulda brought our rods after crossing that river , damned fish eevrywhere right now.

ibehuntin
09-17-2011, 05:06 AM
My guess would be that they sprayed it with the same stuff that they use on the railways to kill the vegetation.

Railways use steam these days to kill off the vegitation on the the tracks.

Crazy_Farmer
09-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Corona!!!!

Just kidding.

ruger#1
09-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Agent Orange !! :) Sure it wasnt Phoscheck that they use to fight fires. They use iron oxide in it for a marker. It might of gotten washed of the powerlines and stayed on the leaves.

Legi0n
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Agent Orange !! :)

you might be onto something here (or there) :mrgreen:

Salty
09-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Dollars to donuts the area was girdled. (Crew of guys walk through the area and cut a strip of bark all the way around the base of alders and other week trees with a girdling tool. Cuts through cambian layer so no food gets from roots to tree, tree slowly dies).

smoothbor
09-18-2011, 02:07 PM
bc hydro and fortis bc all have a vegetation management programs that includes everything from brushing to girdling to herbicide use to stop the growth of non desireable species from growing back under the power lines they use this so they don't have to brush the lines every 3-4 years the idea is to kill certain species of trees and allow more desireable slow growing trees and shrubs to grow on the r.o.w thus decreasing the chance of brush growing into the lines and starting forest fires or electricution hazards, they have been doing this for many years in the province of BC and we will definitly be seeing more of it in the utility industries.

moosinaround
09-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Glyphosate, or some other commercial product. Applied manually and quite possibly aerielly. Vegetation management. Effective and relatively cheap to apply, OH and Effective!!

TheProvider
09-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Few weeks ago there were crews out slashing under the powerlines in Squampton.... possibly spraying too