PDA

View Full Version : Trophy blacktail hunting 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3

proguide66
09-16-2011, 07:54 PM
OK..here we go again! Weather's changed , have a few potential 'victims' on the 'hitlist' and cant help myself and am going to hit it in the am.
As posted earlier I hope many btail enthusiasts purchased a video cam this year and are going to submit some cool shit on this thread as it goes along.
EVERYONE is encouraged to submit tips ect as these deer are obviously the toughest to hunt and knowledge is deffinitely appreciated!!:razz:
The cam is on charge and the gear is ready for the am ! Going to be some sweatin tomarrow as the climb is a little 'steep'.
It would be real cool to come home and follow numerous hunts on here for the next couple months!

This is my earliest start ever and I'm kinda terrified of using a tag before 'Golden November'....heeeere weeee gooooo! ( hopefully some cool footage tomarrow!)

Bisonfirst
09-16-2011, 08:12 PM
So do you feel that this amount of weather change is enough to get them changing what they are doing?

ruger#1
09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Two deer shot the other day here in the valley. One in velvet the other totaly clean. Good luck PG. I'am heading out tomorrow afternoon. Three points and greater.

proguide66
09-16-2011, 08:18 PM
No , but its enough to soften the ground and enable getting closer.As well , shitty weather at night means deer stay out longer in the am.
I made a monster mineral lick a month and half ago and left a cam on it.It felt like christmas going to check it last weekend for the first time. The place was chewed up but unfortunately I had it on daytime only..aaarrrgghh.Kind of upsetting as there's a MONSTER there and I had ZERO daylight pics. This weather should make em stay a bit longer into daylight now.

CooperSscat
09-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Subscribed!

If I get out here in Region 2 I'll shoot some short clips and contribute.

Jeremy

Shooter
09-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I got a video cam for christmas last year :biggrin: Was out for the morning today and used the cam for the first time, unfortunately it wasn't on a BT just a silly 'ol Bull elk. Not worthy video for this soon to be sweet thread :)

I keep forgetting that I have the cam tho. I am hoping to be a cameraman on a deer that either Jr, or the wife may line up on. It will be hard to man a camera and not a scope/binos

TyTy
09-16-2011, 08:41 PM
I've been waiting for the rain too quiet that ground down too. Saw a doe and two fawns for and 2 spike bucks @ 1000m+ today.
went from t-shirt weather to long john weather in the alpine this week.

I'm going out in the early am too, got a good ridge to hike. i'll post my hunt via pics.

quadrakid
09-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I,ve been seeing some nice bucks in my area,bought a trailcam last week. I,ve been hunting blacktails for about 25 years and i,m pumped about this season. I had the two point rule in effect last season but i may break that rule this year, i saw a two point a few nights ago that was huge. Hope to arrow a nice buck this year,good luck to all you blacktail chasers.

takla1
09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
its early but what the hey,we;ve been out scouting last couple weekends and we are seeing good size buck tracks,probable just active in the cuts at night still,as low as 600 to 800 ft elevation.my favorite time of the yr is getting closer!

SHACK
09-16-2011, 10:12 PM
16 does/fawns and one
spike and a two point seen on monday and tuesday for me. To dry, hot and noisey...not to mention the full moon!

Casagrande
09-16-2011, 10:19 PM
OK..here we go again! Weather's changed , have a few potential 'victims' on the 'hitlist' and cant help myself and am going to hit it in the am.
As posted earlier I hope many btail enthusiasts purchased a video cam this year and are going to submit some cool shit on this thread as it goes along.
EVERYONE is encouraged to submit tips ect as these deer are obviously the toughest to hunt and knowledge is deffinitely appreciated!!:razz:
The cam is on charge and the gear is ready for the am ! Going to be some sweatin tomarrow as the climb is a little 'steep'.
It would be real cool to come home and follow numerous hunts on here for the next couple months!

This is my earliest start ever and I'm kinda terrified of using a tag before 'Golden November'....heeeere weeee gooooo! ( hopefully some cool footage tomarrow!)
"Terrified?!" Jesus Christ boy, the good Lord hates a coward!

Shooter
09-16-2011, 11:05 PM
I was out both days last weekend and also 3 evenings this past week and saw this guy every time I have been out so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6oi6bJ2Rq8

proguide66
09-17-2011, 04:49 AM
ahh...430 am awakening , rain hitting roof....should be good!

proguide66
09-17-2011, 05:51 AM
(clip from an article.).have hunted Columbia blacktail hard since I was a kid. No deer I have hunted do a better imitation of Count Dracula than these guys. Their preference for nighttime movement was underscored by an Oregon Department of Fish and Game research project that used cameras keyed by an electronic beam/receiver set-up that took pictures of the deer as they moved through their natural habitat. The cameras were set up on several well-known trails. According to this study, only 17% of all bucks moved during legal shooting hours - meaning that 83% of all the bucks in the study area did not move when it was legal to shoot. In fact, prime buck movements occurred between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., with more than 40% of the bucks photographed during the after-dark period being mature 4-point-or-better bucks. Interestingly, during this survey the does and fawns displayed a more balanced travel tendency, with 44% of them being photographed during daylight hours.

Wood butcher
09-17-2011, 07:49 AM
I already thought they were tough to hunt..... then you post that!

proguide66
09-17-2011, 11:46 AM
16 does/fawns and one
spike and a two point seen on monday and tuesday for me. To dry, hot and noisey...not to mention the full moon! Uh oh , The Shack is BACK ! Look out B Tails! Did you get one of those 'kid sling things' in camo for the fall?? Hope you get a big one to make up for last season!

proguide66
09-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Holy sweatfest. Straight up in the drk and rain to find piles and piles of droppings ect...ZERO fresh.Looks like 'that' spot is going to have to load up in a month and bit for a re-visit!
Was on one of those trails that make you say " damn , what a place for a trail cam"...then the light goes on , " oh I have 3 in my pack". Cant wait for that SD card to load up as its good for a few months!
I also climbed a tree and aimed it down on the trail right out of sight of anything or anyone.Wedged a rock between the trunk and top half of cam and choked it with some wolf snare wire.
Off to my mineral lick tomarrow , maybe have some pics.

lovemywinchester
09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
(clip from an article.).have hunted Columbia blacktail hard since I was a kid. No deer I have hunted do a better imitation of Count Dracula than these guys. Their preference for nighttime movement was underscored by an Oregon Department of Fish and Game research project that used cameras keyed by an electronic beam/receiver set-up that took pictures of the deer as they moved through their natural habitat. The cameras were set up on several well-known trails. According to this study, only 17% of all bucks moved during legal shooting hours - meaning that 83% of all the bucks in the study area did not move when it was legal to shoot. In fact, prime buck movements occurred between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., with more than 40% of the bucks photographed during the after-dark period being mature 4-point-or-better bucks. Interestingly, during this survey the does and fawns displayed a more balanced travel tendency, with 44% of them being photographed during daylight hours.

Hey PG, looking very forward to this thread this year. Love the vids you get. That article is very interesting and very discouraging at the same time. The study from Oregon does not really seem to be accurate as far as the vids you have taken over the years. You seem to have lots of daytime footage of BT running all over the place in your library. Could those BT down south see so much hunting pressure that they go nocturnal like WT in heavy pressure areas? The areas you get into may only see a few people a year in the fall and early winter. People hiking all over the place in the summer but not during deer season I wouldn't think. Taking that study into consideration do you think it would a good idea to move fairly quickly through the bush where you know the deer are? Try to jump them from their beds or just to get them moving. The slow stalk seems to work pretty good for you.

bushpig slayer
09-21-2011, 08:26 AM
sweet this is my favorite thread ever,good luck to everyone!

warnniklz
09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Going out next weekend (sept. 29th-oct. 2nd) To see if I can't drop my first BT. I'll be packing my camera... don't worry

proguide66
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey PG, looking very forward to this thread this year. Love the vids you get. That article is very interesting and very discouraging at the same time. The study from Oregon does not really seem to be accurate as far as the vids you have taken over the years. You seem to have lots of daytime footage of BT running all over the place in your library. Could those BT down south see so much hunting pressure that they go nocturnal like WT in heavy pressure areas? The areas you get into may only see a few people a year in the fall and early winter. People hiking all over the place in the summer but not during deer season I wouldn't think. Taking that study into consideration do you think it would a good idea to move fairly quickly through the bush where you know the deer are? Try to jump them from their beds or just to get them moving. The slow stalk seems to work pretty good for you.

I'd say the Oregon study is bang on. Anyone following last falls thread will read the literally hundreds of walking hrs I did..now put those hrs against the footage I pulled. The bucks I eventually get lucky and shoot are rarely seen twice let alone once.
I as well rarely jump large bucks in their beds. My largest to date was 'possibly' laying down when he heard me rattling and calling and stood there waitting to see what I was..bang flop at 30 yrds but I never saw him laying down although I knew the timbered hill I was on was a bedding knob.
One largy I nailed a few yrs ago I could see his bed with a few doe beds.Could even see his hair pattern in the snow , but never saw him laying down and he was in there all the time.
I have also been after a BIG buck for 4 yrs now and he made it past his prime.The hrs against that deer are embarassingly high.I never and still have never seen him with my naked eye. Never seen his bed but have seen his tracks in the SAME places each fall.I am so familiar with his habits I know where to jump ahead of him and pick up his track...never been soo frustrated. Last fall after tagging out he finally showed. I told Gate I would have a clear pic of him by morning...bingo...baseball bat bases 4X4 going backwards and HUGE...still , he wont let me near him and I'll bet he has never seen a human hunter but me...aaarrrgghhh....
My #1 word of advice to all curious : DONT STOP GOING....its simple math in the end , you WILL eventually have a run in with a monster....as long as you dont shoot a dink or even a large one...might take a year or 5..( lol) but it WILL happen.
I have put in sooo many damned hrs in my spots now it has resulted in a 'run in' occuring more often than 5 yrs earlier....cant wait to see what happens this fall!!

warnniklz
09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
My plan is to get into my spot the afternoon before to see what has been moving around. From there I'll pick a spot to get into well before daylight and sit until an hour or after then I'll put some clicks on my feet.

greenhorn
09-21-2011, 02:38 PM

I swear the deer around Sooke/Renfrew are like this. So many times I've cut huge tracks in snow that weren't there the day before, even when I've waited to come out until past shooting light!! Seems the huge bucks I see are always in the off season when I'm hiking, I bust them in their beds and they bounce off into the wilderness. Then when the season comes, they're gone!!

proguide66
09-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Damned blacktails!!

If you know where a BIG one is, try to find the girls. They usually have their own little haunts and if you dont scare the crap out of them they are fairly easy to find again.
Once I am familiar with a few doe's and their hangouts , I start dong 'subtle' check ups when the rut is close to perculating and pic up speed once the rut is really goin.
Those big *******s already know all those girls by name and do the same...usually at night but once he finds a 'hitty' he sticks to her. But if you blow it , he'll dump her like a bad habit and hit the road in a heartbeat! Sure makes you shake lots when you FINALLY get one of em!

I was also thinking , wonder how many 'genetically superior' doe's have the same habits of a true superior buck? Guess we will never know. I'll bet theres some does out there carrying
the supreme genes needed to build a monster buck and they as well live quite secretly!

greenhorn
09-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I was able to call in a young buck today and get my meat buck for the year, leaving one tag to hold out for a biggun.

Basically, got into a new area and parked the quad to do some investigation on foot. I walked for about an hour and found some nice spots. The last spot I detected some thrashing noises. Didn't sound like a bear (to me anyway) so I sat down in a concealed location to see what would unfold. After about 5 mins, I figured it couldn't hurt to try and get the attention of whatever it was.

I don't own a call, so I did my best imitation of a doe call to see if I could get what might be a buck to show himself. I left about a minute between calls and varied the volume of my voice. After the 10th attempt he crept out of the thick stuff and sure enough, he was a young spike-by-two.

This probably wouldn't have worked on an old smart buck - but meat in the freezer was the intended use of the first tag.

Dutch Ppoacher
09-25-2011, 11:45 AM
lots of does and young bucks so far this yr, but we are coming in to october, which tipically is the dry month for sightings. will be interesting to see how this weird weather/seasons are going to affect this season.

averaging 15 - 20 animals every outing this yr so far. good numbers

no real big boys seen yet by my group, sooon it will happen

updates guys how are things for you in yur Bt area?

DP

proguide66
09-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Soaked to the nuts....'tried' to get to a new zone I have been curious about for a while..NOPE.Not without a tent anyway. Found some new trails , only have 2 cams out right now...this weather keeps up some shits gonna happen soon.
I made this video out of boredom last night...should help generate enthusiasm...works for me!http://youtu.be/S2Z8clpbpuo

Dutch Ppoacher
09-25-2011, 11:59 AM
beauty!!! !

CoqTrophys
09-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I know this has been covered a few times but lets do it again. What slopes will they likely be on at what time of year. South in the winter? north in the summer? Are the steep slopes gunna be more productive then flats above them?

Shooter
09-25-2011, 08:40 PM
I hiked into an area today to set up a trail cam. Its down in a steeeeep valley with a couple HUGE trails running through. I set up the cam where 2 trails join into one. We will see what comes of it. Here is some footage of our way in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AfCoI8sjo

TheProvider
09-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Gorgeous BT weather today, soaked to the arse, about 5hrs of hiking, one spike buck at 30yrds let him go. Went and checked a trail cam, had this pic. Cam is on the same hill as this set of sheds i found earlier in the summer(yes I know I posted the shed pics b4), distance from sheds to cam is prolly a mile as the crow flies. Can't wait to get out hunting tomo morning to an area where i saw a grampa buck in the summer.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/297805_10150833301100313_794810312_20518651_157950 1904_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/267781_10150682100085313_794810312_18920870_195543 5_n.jpg

proguide66
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
I know this has been covered a few times but lets do it again. What slopes will they likely be on at what time of year. South in the winter? north in the summer? Are the steep slopes gunna be more productive then flats above them?
Wish they were 'that' predictable.We'r finding them on all of the above.You have to pick your spot and hit it...the deer in your area will let you know!

Wood butcher
09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Here's a good one, While watching and videoing a small buck on Sat we cost ourselves a good one. He was standing 40yds to the left watching us talk and laugh about shooting his buddy. First words out of my mouth on the clip were "he might not be alone" should have paid closer attention!!
The buddies kid now wants us to "shoot first and pictures later" :)

proguide66
09-27-2011, 05:53 AM
That sucks ass Butcher! how big was he?

Hey Provider , do the bushes between your cam and the buck set off your cam in the wind? I had one of my cams set for 'high sensitivity' and rocked out on 738 pics of nothing and one wabbit a bit ago.
Hope our deer havent all drowned up here yet!

Wood butcher
09-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Never got a point count. He was just high and wide and should have been hanging in the cooler right now.

lapadat
09-27-2011, 09:45 AM
CoqTrophy's
Blacktail Winter Range can be the scene for some amazing late season BT hunting. By definition, WR is typically steep, south-facing slopes, below 1000m. If you find an area matching these qualifications with heavy timber you will find lots of BT sign. However, as Proguide has shown, you can find BT's pretty much anywhere....if I was looking for a good piece of real estate for late season BT hunting I would be on or close to some quality winter range. Below are some examples of Chwk and Harrison WR and some of the sign you can find up in the hills. The deer is a buck after dropping head gear.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hunting_092.jpg (javascript:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Puppies_003.JPG (javascript:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hunting_098.jpg (javascript:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hunting_077.jpg (javascript:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_874.jpg (javascript:;)

lap

greenhorn
09-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Your dog is the spitting image of mine!

SHACK
09-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Uh oh , The Shack is BACK ! Look out B Tails! Did you get one of those 'kid sling things' in camo for the fall?? Hope you get a big one to make up for last season!

Hell, I will be pounding the bush this year during the rut! and before as well!!!

new hunter
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I'll be going out tomorrow as well P.G. , good luck , but don't shoot my deer .
I was thinking this shit weather might be agood thing , I'm thinking of trying some of the areas closer to whistler as theyre abit higher up . Saw a doe next to the highway by shadow lake .
Well good luck everyone .

mikey
09-27-2011, 05:06 PM
hey lapadat,

do you have anymore pics of that bt kill.? looks like a dandy buck

lapadat
09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Mikey
He was a very nice Chwk BT.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/349.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/347.jpg (javascript:;)

rides bike to work
09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Has any one else caught a black tail on a trail cam ,Ive caught two rear legs so far after 8 months of set ups.Im going hard for bt this year seen nothin but does so far though saw one ass end bouncing away at a distance might have been a buck.Nothing like treking through the jungle looking for that bt standin right beside you.Ive seen the most black tail were there is sollel on the ground

Shooter
09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Try setting the cam up looking up or down the trail instead of across it.

proguide66
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
I'll be going out tomorrow as well P.G. , good luck , but don't shoot my deer .
I was thinking this shit weather might be agood thing , I'm thinking of trying some of the areas closer to whistler as theyre abit higher up . Saw a doe next to the highway by shadow lake .
Well good luck everyone .
Better give us a 'detailed' description of 'your deer' so 'we' dont kill it!!

Hey 'Lap' , that sure is a cool little treasure ! Ive never found something like that.At least by the age of that buck he was sure to pass on genes through lots of does over the years!

proguide66
09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Has any one else caught a black tail on a trail cam ,Ive caught two rear legs so far after 8 months of set ups.Im going hard for bt this year seen nothin but does so far though saw one ass end bouncing away at a distance might have been a buck.Nothing like treking through the jungle looking for that bt standin right beside you.Ive seen the most black tail were there is sollel on the ground
This is what you get with 'head on' angles on the trail...http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/trailcam2010mrB140.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/trailcam2010mrB140-1.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/trailcam2010mrB098.jpg

both the buggers are still alive to..

heres another head on cam view
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/166.jpg

new hunter
09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Description of my deer , he's brown , fury and big , lives between whistler and pemby and looks delicious . You'll be sure to recognise him .
Have any luck out there today ? I saw some promising looking tracks and thats about all myself . Still a beautiful day to get out , I have no regrets .
Weird question , but has anyone ever caught a wiff of deer piss on the trail ? I bought some doe estrus last year , and I swear to god I think I caught a wiff of it twice today while I was following some nice , fresh looking tracks {21/2 inch aprox , about a 2 foot distance between or gait }.
I know the obvious answer is that I got the stuff on my gear , but my gears all new and I haven't had it since last year .
So is it likely a doe , or just my youthfull exuberance ?

SHACK
09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Well today was a tough one, 15 kms yielded 3 does & 4 fawns! No bone worth thinking about yet this year, but at least I found the four legged buck lures!LOL

proguide66
09-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Well , I'm getting better at my video making skills. Here's another one to get the encouragement goin !

http://youtu.be/bWb0i7p7MXc

greenhorn
09-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Try to put the cam on a trail that naturally funnels the deer past the sensor of your camera. Also, make sure that the cam isn't too high or low. Like others have said, point the camera along the trail, not across it. Also, make sure you remove leaves or branches from around the sensor, otherwise you could end up with hundreds of picks of the same leaf/twig because the wind swept leaf set the sensor off.

Bighorn hunter
09-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Great vid, thanks pg66

BH

BUCKJR
09-29-2011, 09:09 AM
wow LAPADAT, nice looking areas with some great dear in them. You must have quite the collection of beauty sheds im assuming!

bcmulie
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Well , I'm getting better at my video making skills. Here's another one to get the encouragement goin !

http://youtu.be/bWb0i7p7MXc

Great video.

Please take me blacktail hunting...

bcmulie

new hunter
09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Nice video , great looking deer . I don't know how you managed to follow that blood trail . As someone who hasn't shot a deer yet , holy crap ! I hope tracking usually looks that easy .
No sarcasm intended , I really was quite impressed with that bullets performance .

lapadat
09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Buck
BT sheds are damn tough to find in my opinion....I've pounded some serious ground in Chwk and have only found a handful....luckily the best antlers were still attached to the deer
Get out and hike some WR - you'll be amazed at what you see.
Lap

rides bike to work
09-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey lapadat you seem to have lots of experience in the chilliwack area, have you ever had any luck in the the alpine around here for bt Ive been sticking to low elevation old growth but have wondered if they hang around high up.any tips are appreciated.

TheProvider
09-30-2011, 07:14 PM
That sucks ass Butcher! how big was he?

Hey Provider , do the bushes between your cam and the buck set off your cam in the wind? I had one of my cams set for 'high sensitivity' and rocked out on 738 pics of nothing and one wabbit a bit ago.
Hope our deer havent all drowned up here yet!

Yes the bushes tend to set off the cam. I'd normally trim them but I try to leave the area as untouched as possible. This setup is a perfect funnel about 300yrds below an old growth ridge. All pics I get of the deer are about an hour after dark or middle of the night coming lower down the ridge to feed. Prolly gonna place another camera right on the edge of the old growth. Normally find most of the mature tracks in the old growth or very edge of it, not too often in the second growth. This is the first time I've seen this guy, have pics of does andyoung bucks in the area and have spotted a couple 3 year old bucks. Can't wait till tomo morning to be creeping through the old growth. Gonna be a beautiful day tomo, well beautiful blacktail day,... RAIN!! :D

TheProvider
10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Well a good saurday, 7.5hrs of hiking, had to wait a lil longer than normal at a vantage point for the thermals to change and for the wind to get a little less squirrely(it stayed squirrely the whole day) 2 mins into the hike came across a ton of fresh tracks including one large set. An encouraging sign. About 30mins in the creep came across a well used trail running right up the middle of the ridge with a few rubs along it. Up goes trail cam. Creeping hundred yards more I decided to tip the can a couple times. Waited a few minutes then continued creeping, not more than a hundred yards since tipping the can..... about 8yrds away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOR6fd6RZ9I

Sorry for the short video the batteries crapped out and I rummaged through my pack for more as they peered at me. Yes, "they", didn't you notice the second doe standing underneath the trees to the right? Hard to see her my lens were dirty. Replaced the batteries and shot a little more footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrE9IbjSII

Once again kinda hard to see but for those of you wondering what they eat in the old growth. That's lichen that their eating. Can see a good view when she lifts her head.

Well the creep was back on. A few hundred yards more glassed a little bluff with my binos and spotted two more does bedded. A few minutes later heavey fogged rolled in making it hard to see 30yrds. With the fog and squirrelly winds I didn't see anything else. All in all a good day.

And yes now that proguide has demanded video footage I carry my cam on a tripod. Even with carrying it right attached to the tripod it takes time to set it up and film. If those does had been a mature buck the cam probably wouldve been laying on the ground as the muzzleloader was barking. You just get so close to them before you see them and they normally see you first. Bring on tomorrow

proguide66
10-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Pretty cool ! I just came in with some grouse boobs and checked an SDcard...just lovely looking at 750 photos of a bear eating apples..then stomped my cam and there was hammer foot prints at the salt while my cam lay face up trying to get a pic of birds in the sky.

TheProvider
10-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Oh thats too bad, i've only had a bear give my cam a shake and leave it at an odd angle. Plans got cancelled today but heading up the mountain tomo, hunt, set up another cam and check another. way too nice of a morning to hunt today looks like a wet one for tomo.

RayHill
10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
I hunted all weekend started at 3800 feet saw some old BT crap, heard some rustling in the ivy in some real thick shit hiked down wind but what ever it was it alluded me. Was in on some real steep mountain side when it started to pour rain, I lost my footing on some wet rocks and went for a good 25 foot slide. I kept the gun up so i didn't smash it. It was a fun ride but not something I would want to do again. Was grabbing at anything to slow me down ripped out plants right down to the roots lol.

The only deer I saw was a big doe that came out the last 5 mins of light on Sunday. I was still hunting off the trail my cam is set up on. Sat there about 6 hrs till last light when I heard her coming in. One very quiet snap got me looking in her direction. I was only able to see her good in my binos. I was about 15 yards away and then the wind changed and she freeked out. Stoped and sniffed the air real good then looked right at me. BUSTED It would have made a real good video she gave me lots of attitude. I think if she didn't bust me she might have had a boyfriend in tow because I heard some movement in the backing bushes heading down the thick tree line. I know this spot is always a good one come November so I'll see what happens. Got some nice small bucks and a good size bear on the trail cam this time too.

proguide66
10-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I decided to concentrate on firewood last weekend. I as well went for a check on all my 'hot action' areas to check known routes for sign. The does are starting to move a little more than a week er two ago but no buck sign.This month is normally a toughy to conect on large bone. I'm going to concentrate on getting my WAY TOO MUCH work done so Nov is free'd up for mega fun!

TheProvider
10-12-2011, 06:18 PM
snow was pretty low this morning in the sea to sky area... only a few more weeks of work then off for the winter = serious bt hunting time

BBD
10-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Well me and my old man have been hitting the hills pretty hard last few weeks here on the north island and not seeing to much, putting on some serious miles. Today we woke up to snow in the hills, unfortunately i had to go to work but the old man couldn't resist going for a hunt, he ended up having a pretty decent day, put some footage up on youtube, hopefully lots more to come in the next few months,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDyJrGCNdg

kennyj
10-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Thats a beauty BBD. Nice dark antlers on that guy.
kenny

Shooter
10-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Great Buck for your dad BBD. You guys definitely have it figured out. To consistently drop big Island BT bucks is quite a chore, Congratulations

BUCKJR
10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh man that gets the blood going! Nice work!

MB_Boy
10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for posting that up BBD!!

proguide66
10-14-2011, 06:28 PM
SWEET !!! Bring on the vids , love it! Georgeous cape on that chunky bugger to!!

Trapper D
10-14-2011, 06:36 PM
wow , thats a beauty. is that an island buck?

MEATEATER
10-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Its tough some years to find a buck never mind the trophies you guys seem to find good job tyler and if we only had the freedom when it comes to work as your old man we wouldnt be stuck at that dam mill on days like that lol congrats

avadad
10-14-2011, 07:45 PM
What a sweet buck!!! Thanks for posting BBD. You and your Dad really have it figured out...What a great legacy you are creating with your Dad. You two are setting a high standard for sure!

TheProvider
10-14-2011, 08:39 PM
nice buck, love the antler color

Gilmore
10-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Beauty buck BBD! Congrats to your old man. Love the coloring on that guy, dark horns, snow white throat patch, they don't come much prettier than that.

greenhorn
10-14-2011, 09:59 PM
That thing is a hawg!! Nice coat and a thick neck!! Nice job!

sniper ren
10-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice buck BBD! Always like seeing your guys deer!

Spy
10-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice Island B/T!:mrgreen:Good video! Snow on the ground maybe a sign of things to come for the South Island.:-D

rudysteelhead
10-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Thats a fabulous buck. I just love the you tube video as well. As you showed on film, the deer sure are big bodied with lots of fat on them for this time of year. Rut should be happening darn soon. Congrats

BBD
10-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys been pretty tuff so far this year lots of small bucks but nothing serious until that guy. We have are own little big buck contest here in Port Hardy so the old man has set the bar pretty high but we have lots of time left and i already told him i'll give him a run for his money, haha. Anyways thanks again hopefully some more will start dropping soon, i'll keep the footage coming.

Johnnybear
10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Congrats to your old man BBD. Fantastic buck. Your vid's make any Island deer hunter drool. Great footage. Keep up the good work man!!!! Please keep the footage coming.

lovemywinchester
10-21-2011, 06:57 PM
The world record Blacktail. That is all.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/WR_Blacktail_Deer1.jpg

BCHunterTV
10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
thats a buck fever buck!!!

Sitkaspruce
10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Here is a big one from down south in Oregon or wash

Scroll down to #17 post and there is more picts after that.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=380381

Cheers

SS

Tikka270wsm
10-21-2011, 08:39 PM
^^^ That is UNREAL!!! Wow!

Gilmore
10-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Cheers

SS

Holy crap!!

lovemywinchester
10-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Holy crap!!
Hey Gilmore. PG hasn't updated this in a while. Is he lost on Mt. Currie looking for big blackies?

Gilmore
10-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Hey Gilmore. PG hasn't updated this in a while. Is he lost on Mt. Currie looking for big blackies?

Not "on"...."in".

lilhoss
10-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Here is a big one from down south in Oregon or wash

Cheers

SS

geez,now I'm depressed.I was looking for just a freezer buck...unbelievable...

lovemywinchester
10-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Not "on"...."in".
Ha ha! Shacked up with a local gal. Looking to get a card so he can hunt all year long.

proguide66
10-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Ha ha! Shacked up with a local gal. Looking to get a card so he can hunt all year long.

pfffft , I rented a place in Squam for the month of Nov to save fuel! , limited internet over here..haha...

Gilmore
10-22-2011, 05:00 PM
pfffft , I rented a place in Squam for the month of Nov to save fuel! , limited internet over here..haha...

You told me the reason you chose the Chieftain was because they had wireless?!? Must be some other reason...

proguide66
10-22-2011, 05:25 PM
I recently dumped over $300 on a 'GOPRO' camera to try on my weapons of mass destruction.Not soo sure its going to be worth the hassle...

http://youtu.be/PR16jqKaffQ

:-?:evil:

The target is only 22 yards...looks 100 on the vid!

BlacktailStalker
10-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I thought of buying one of those too but dont like the 'no zoom' feature... might be cool to put on a hound though :)

proguide66
10-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Holy shit would that ever be cool on a hound!

Here's what it looks like on the gun......I think I can do better with a camcorder in hand...going to do both,what the hell.

http://youtu.be/VoaJZK4PV9A

would be quite the ride to put one on a wolf to! but how to get it back?!

3kills
10-22-2011, 06:10 PM
I thought of buying one of those too but dont like the 'no zoom' feature... might be cool to put on a hound though :)

thats it some one has to put it on a hound LOL

lovemywinchester
10-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Lab cam duck hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUzNq3srJYE

Gilmore
10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
That was dog cam is awesome!!

lorneparker1
10-23-2011, 08:56 PM
heres a few vids from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2omPYcRBrpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpktjrZOeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1oZ93VSNA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I dont hunt the mountains like some of you guys but there are some BRUISERS around here, just havent seen them in day light yet. i hunt in the bow/shotgun area with a crossbow. I shot this solid 2 point out of here a week or so a go now holding out for a biggy

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/LorneP/P1010529.jpg

Sonof000Buck
10-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Black-tails are easy shmeazy to hunt.
Go out in the rain it's filthy with them..
There's my tips & tricks.
Bagged out 5 years in a row...
Go get it done.

Shooter
10-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Black-tails are easy shmeazy to hunt.
Go out in the rain it's filthy with them..
There's my tips & tricks.
Bagged out 5 years in a row...
Go get it done.

Ahhhhh young feller.. ;) this is the trophy blacktail thread. Much harder to consistently bag "trophy" BT's than it is to simply fill the freezer with them.

proguide66
10-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Holy shit , field full of deer!! lol...Deffinitely different than the mountain timber and cliff hunting we'r stuck with here. Must drive a guy nuts to see a hammer out there and no way to get near it!
I repo'd some salt from 'some' does Ive been feeding for a few months to move to another location yesterday.Was hoping a BIG bugger I have ben after 'might' be growing horns there..but...NOT!
Found some new major trails to confirm some deer movements I was speculating and dumped some cams on.
Hike a damned mountain and found ZERO rubs or rut sign....its comin though! now back to work..aarrgh..

walks with deer
10-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Lots of deer moving this weekend 3 point is the biggest I saw running through takla1 back yard.

BCHunterTV
10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Lots of deer moving this weekend 3 point is the biggest I saw running through takla1 back yard.

i saw not a thing on Sunday

killer
10-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Hunted hard saturday saw only ten deer only one spike then at four oclock i spot a deer heading for the timber my partner and i both jump out i tell him where and hes on it as soon as i put up scope i can see there is something not right all i can see is a huge two or three up top on the right side,on the left side all i see is a horn that is bent down with what looked like a bunch of junk on it . Right then my partner lets one fly nothing then i shoot nothing one more from my buddy and the deer is gone.This buck is going to get more of my attention now very unique set of horns, he was also as yellow as a elk telling me that he stays out in those slashes alot.Hopefully i can get him,there was another smaller buck with this guy but old bent horn was the one we wanted this all happened in about twenty seconds.I know where he lives now though and im going to get him.

walks with deer
10-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Lots on keystone road in mission saw some more on the way home from work there tonight.

BCHunterTV
10-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Lots on keystone road in mission saw some more on the way home from work there tonight.

no hunting there im guessing

gameslayer
10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Awsome Dog Cam !!! Lay one down Proguide66 love your stuff :)

proguide66
10-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Its deffinitely 'on' ! Using antlers and calls are going to work right now! If it werent for work ,I'd be pounding it today.I checked a spot last evening and deer have filled it.There was 5 rubs wich look to be started few days ago with the freshest being hrs old.He's fiesty and didnt leave any bark on the poor trees at all..he must be stopped!!!! I should have a pic of him soon..I think I know who it is but you just never know!
Anyway , time to start pounding now!

Wood butcher
11-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Any updates?
I pounded the timber looking for the target on the weekend. He and his girlfriends are there but we just didn't cross paths.
If you had to choose between the very top of the mountain which is not very wide but still timbered or sidehill timber which is steeeeep but filled with beds how would you approach it.
Is there a point were you just say " I'm hiking in and then hunting or do you try to hunt the whole way in" Knowing that you could run into the target anywhere in the area.

takla1
11-03-2011, 07:35 PM
right now your likely to run into the younger bucks down lower,the bigger bucks will follow the snow line down,there well into creating scrape lines now so get out there and start looking;set up try rattling.doe bleeting ect they will be getting stupider soon!funny what the little ladies do to us males!I will have a report after the weekend...

proguide66
11-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Any updates?
I pounded the timber looking for the target on the weekend. He and his girlfriends are there but we just didn't cross paths.
If you had to choose between the very top of the mountain which is not very wide but still timbered or sidehill timber which is steeeeep but filled with beds how would you approach it.
Is there a point were you just say " I'm hiking in and then hunting or do you try to hunt the whole way in" Knowing that you could run into the target anywhere in the area.

In a 'perfect world' I wish I could be on top of those hills undetected in the dark then slip deadlly slow down hill in loong zig zags tipping the call every now and then , until I spotted girls..then just hang with them for as long as possible.

The trail cams have proven solid that all day is game day. Last year some cam pics showed HAMMER bucks cruising around mid day with nice weather...
My only update is deer are filling my spots , the trail cam I set in the middle of 7 fresh rubs had dead batteries right after I set it up...fresh ones in now and should have a pic of the culprit soon !

ps , I find that I am always using a headlamp to get up and into it each time. 5 out of my last 6 big bucks were shot or seen in the first 5 to 15 minutes of shooting light back in the timber.

proguide66
11-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Anyone on a big one yet? I'm on one who is making some real nasty destruction on trees...went to check my cam and tried to go off the trail and found his REAL trail 15 yrds to the side of the cam trail..holy rubs! moved cam , 'should' have a pic of him shortly!

~T-BONE~
11-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Finally got into my spot this yr today found some wicked sign and tonnes of activity in the proven spots and even right on top of my tracks on the way out too.. the snow was the shits soo frickin crunchy i ended up bumping a couple of singles and a group of three and seen four others but no head gear.. Took the cams in too set them up on on two distinct trails that the big boy tracks were on in two totally different spots on this mtn.. i got three days to pound that hill this weekend.. anybody use crampons?? these steep sidehills r killin me.. I bent my pack frame and ripped a few fingers open up there.. Neednig more tracktion and caulk boots r no good

Shooter
11-06-2011, 09:40 PM
ps , I find that I am always using a headlamp to get up and into it each time. 5 out of my last 6 big bucks were shot or seen in the first 5 to 15 minutes of shooting light back in the timber.

So do you get up there early and sit and wait in ambush while the bush calms down for a bit or do you try to time it just right so that you get where you wanna be as its cracking light? I typically try to time it so its cracking light when I get where I wanna be. Seems like everytime I hike in too early and try to wait for light I end up jumping deer and get busted with them running off snorting for miles away and then I don't seem to see nearly as many deer.

killer
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
five more sleeps then four straight days of chasing mr .big was there today the rubs are all over next weekend should be sweet.

Jim Prawn
11-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Nov 10-20, my first booker in 21 years coming up??? I sure hope so, feeling like I've got some good options. Hoping to post something BIG soon.....
JP

5 spike
11-07-2011, 04:47 AM
I hiked into an area today to set up a trail cam. Its down in a steeeeep valley with a couple HUGE trails running through. I set up the cam where 2 trails join into one. We will see what comes of it. Here is some footage of our way in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AfCoI8sjo

thats too much video of one of our areas. the camcorder will be taken care of when i find it lol.

proguide66
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I found a few new blowdowns on a rock face back in the deep timber . oes are hitting it and a hammer is rubbing like crazy maybe 400 away..'m sure he knows the girls are hanging there. 6 cams out now , 'should' have a pic of him soon...good thing about those cams is letting you know if your wasting your time or not..its ticking away!!!!...I'm saving my 'REAL' good holes for around the 15th...usually a guarrantee if I leave em alone there WILL be a hammer in em...hopefully the 'right one' ! have a 'gopro cam' on the bow , 6 cams out and a small HD cam corder in my pocket at all imes!!!..if I dont shoot one I should at least have some kick ass footage! hope you guys are all packing cams!!!

tackdriver
11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Anyone on a big one yet? I'm on one who is making some real nasty destruction on trees...went to check my cam and tried to go off the trail and found his REAL trail 15 yrds to the side of the cam trail..holy rubs! moved cam , 'should' have a pic of him shortly!

Not real big but nice and heavy3742

Gilmore
11-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Nice heavy buck, a beauty!!

takla1
11-07-2011, 06:00 PM
we will be putting a cam out this weekend comeing up.The bucks in our area are beating the trees up real good right now so we have a few good locations to set up.we put in 20 hrs of hunting this past weekend and just seen one spike.but there must be 50 decent rubs from the previous week just in the small area we hunt{about 25 acres of mountain-side}.this comeing week -end should be good!

proguide66
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
That sure is a chunky buck !! cant wait to see more pics and video!
Was thinking , has a thread ever had an official drink? Was recently reunited with 'LUCKY' while fishing out of Port Alb...I'm thinking LUCKY could be a great official drink of the blacktail thread?..any objections?:mrgreen: I know the 'Porch Gang' didnt object to stealing and drinking my lucky last Thurs !:-?

todbartell
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317676_10150374705840516_526315515_10380217_182989 0879_n.jpg

Wood butcher
11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I drink it all the time. Hunting camp, fishing,
Below is a picture of five killed one live release. Just a little conservation is ok.https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3lzB-hA-KoY/TrlB-ZRy47I/AAAAAAAAAB8/XAdfJCsBMHM/s912/IMG_0080.JPG?gl=CA

greenhorn
11-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Ahhhh lucky - the official energy drink of Sooke!

Looks like the rut is getting going in the Sooke to Renfrew areas finally. Been really slow down here when I've been out. Haven't noticed any rut like behaviour until I was out driving early this weekend and the bucks are finally starting to act stupid. Saw a nice heavy 3x3 that had a tall rack.....

proguide66
11-08-2011, 10:13 PM
I checked cam #4 of 6 , cyotes ate all 40lbs of apples I packed in there making sure the deer would stay away from my salt block/cam//damnit...BUT , theres a CRANKER of a footprint that showed through there VERY shortly before me....going to drop alfalfa/molassus to keep the girls near by and hopefully get him back. I video taped his tracks , rounded off like a damn rams foot print.

RayHill
11-08-2011, 10:30 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317676_10150374705840516_526315515_10380217_182989 0879_n.jpg

Is that Brock Lesnar? If it is that would be a Coors Light in his hand, because Lucky dosn't pay him SH!T!!!

proguide66
11-09-2011, 07:19 AM
haha.its me and Gatehouse practicing taking different pics of your trophy for a new thread,lol...we called it the 'Vanderhoof pose'..:-P weapon in antlers,smoke in mouth , no smile/scowl,hands all over rack!

greenhorn
11-09-2011, 08:27 AM
haha.its me and Gatehouse practicing taking different pics of your trophy for a new thread,lol...we called it the 'Vanderhoof pose'..:-P weapon in antlers,smoke in mouth , no smile/scowl,hands all over rack!

I like it... makes you look bad ass!

Gilmore
11-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Here's a tip for you guys...don't let the battery's in your t-cam die.:icon_frow

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSCF3123.jpg

RayHill
11-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Got the truck all packed up so all good for a early start. I'm hitting it hard starting tomorrow, gone till the 20th. Do you think I will getter done in ten days?? I sure hope so! Haha

spear
11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
This is THE go to thread for motivation. Keep it up guys

BBD
11-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Been hitting the hills pretty hard this year not seeing to much, got some footage of a couple today not the greatest but it's better than nothing, the one that passes through is also a buck, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7O4EBJfdTI

Shooter
11-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Been hitting the hills pretty hard this year not seeing to much, got some footage of a couple today not the greatest but it's better than nothing, the one that passes through is also a buck, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7O4EBJfdTI

Wow.. I woulda filmed that one after the shot. thanks for sharing.

shaydog65
11-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Man this is the most exciting thread on the whole site. Makes me want to join in the fun. This is my island BT from this past October. I posted the story already, but labeled him as a Mulie. Oops. Anyways, I guess you'd call him a 4x2.
And I'm told a pretty good North Island Buck.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Shaydog65/IMG_1123.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Shaydog65/2011-10-153x2Buck-NVanIsl.jpg

I'll be up In Pemberton tomorrow morning. First time in that area, as are most areas since I just started hunting last fall.

Good luck out there guys.

Wood butcher
11-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Wow.. I woulda filmed that one after the shot. thanks for sharing.

I still have two tags :-D

proguide66
11-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Holy shit is it nasty out! Out the door to my first 'real' day of hunting for me. Ive had a cam wayy up a mountain for over a month where there 'should be' a 150 ish inch buck....heeere we gooo.....
keep the vids comin !

proguide66
11-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Here's a quick vid of my nov 11.......have to go to wprk today but F-IT.......goin hunting instead....more footage to see shortly.

http://youtu.be/ICIy2wxyBf4

Gilmore
11-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Wet, windy, foggy...perfect.

Casagrande
11-12-2011, 09:06 AM
When did you start taking bites out of bananas?

proguide66
11-12-2011, 12:16 PM
haha...well...2 days in a row , f-ed up on 2 hammers....what do you do when you have a solid B&C blacktail 20 yrds in front of you?...looking at you??...umm , fumble with a cam corder in your pocket , tape him...dig your binos out to look at him through sticks to realise the branches above his 'nice rack' are actually PART OF HIS RACK....fumble to hold camcorder along side stock...safety off...slip and do faceplant on steep rocks...then buck runs past trail cam 5 minutes later to show me his clear rack and nuts.......lips on barrel , toe on trigger.........pics soon , video later.:oops:....what a ffrikkin riot though !!:mrgreen:

d6dan
11-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Sounds to me like your having a good day?..most guys would give there left nut to be in that position Steve.:wink:. Enjoying your thread here, keep up the good stuff and I always follow your videos.:-D

proguide66
11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
ok..here he is...theres a few pics of bucks to let you know WHAT exactly he is...note the time stamp on the last 2 bucks and the last pic of me checking the cam. Funny thing , I 'thought' he left to my right and was going to pursue that way..until I checked my cam and saw he went right up ahead of me...with a nice 4 point just ahead of him and me...ohh gawd...haha...video should be cool...

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0064.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0161.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0166.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0169.jpg

proguide66
11-12-2011, 12:46 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0170.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0171.jpg

me checking cam...

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0172.jpg

check out his left brow tine..betting 6 "...I think I have his sheds from 3 years ago...http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/102-2.jpg

two on the right of photo possibly?? found within 500 yrds of this spot

Bighorn hunter
11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
absolutly awsome! Can't wait to see the vid

Cheers
BH

Gateholio
11-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I would have just pulled the trigger on my rifle, and then do a face plant if I still felt like it. ;)

huntcoop
11-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I would have just pulled the trigger on my rifle, and then do a face plant if I still felt like it. ;)

I'm with you, assess facial damage after the fall. Would make for a great video if the shot counted.

Gilmore
11-12-2011, 01:39 PM
....fumble to hold camcorder along side stock...

What happened to the GoPro??

proguide66
11-12-2011, 02:36 PM
changed guns....nopro on the 243...I'm going to switch to the bow for this guy...
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/BOOKBUCK2011.jpg

guess's on the brow tine length?

his buddy , ( the three of us were within 50 yrds of each other this am...

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT01662.jpg

wait till you see the video..have the fall on there to.......

IronNoggin
11-12-2011, 03:34 PM
wait till you see the video..

How do you keep a housebound hunter in suspense?? You've GOT IT! :evil:

Looking Forward...

Cheers,
Nog

11-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Hurry up Steve .............

had to cut my Mulie Buck hunt short and need a good fix ......

looking forward to it !

CT

proguide66
11-12-2011, 05:20 PM
ok..here's the 'cringing' moment.........going to leave it alone for a few days and hit another spot.Those bucks are damned sensitive to pressure and I want him to hang around!

http://youtu.be/_PXL9Jvn6V8

11-12-2011, 05:40 PM
That poor bugger doesn't know the trouble he's in for .......

good thing he'll add to the gene pool for a while longer.

Good luck with him PG, I'm sure we'll be seeing a close up soon.

CT

Salty
11-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Awesome! Its like Blacktail hunting meets the Blair Witch Project :mrgreen: Did you see the goule that tripped you bud? LOL

That is a dandy buck PG. Me thinks you'll find him again. :cool:

IronNoggin
11-12-2011, 07:08 PM
ok..here's the 'cringing' moment.........

"Shit this is FUN Shit!"

aYup! :twisted:

Thanks again for sharing! Felt like I was right there alongside both of you!
Very much looking forward to the Final Outcome!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

west250
11-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Mr. Big! You just made a bunch of new hunting partners on here that'll back you up if you like =]

west250
11-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Here's his cousin that I crossed paths with last weekend:

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc423/photocontest2010/

greenhorn
11-12-2011, 08:34 PM
That's wicked... looks like he carries his mass all the way through his beams...

sniper ren
11-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Awsome vid Proguide! Good luck in getting that guy! Looks like a great buck!

BBD
11-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Awesome buck, he sure has a lot of character, i want to see some more footage of him on the ground, good luck on getting that guy

cainer
11-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Less falling, more shooting next time please

Gilmore
11-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Less falling, more shooting next time please

Buck fever...:oops:

cainer
11-12-2011, 10:00 PM
More like buck pneumonia :)

proguide66
11-12-2011, 10:44 PM
haha...musta bin a sight. Can call tipping in right..gun in left , see deer , gun/call in left , pulling out video cam , video cam , gun , call in left , pulling out binos to 'make sure'....go time , tip call again , jugle shit , fall.....right out of a frikkin comedy. He'll be comin home if I see him but still hoping to hammer THE Mr. B !! I probably will see him again as he probably knows I'm quite harmless now.
Need more and new vids from everyone else!:mrgreen:

Prowler
11-12-2011, 11:09 PM
.......lips on barrel , toe on trigger.........

I just spit my coffee alover the keyboard!!! Now THAT is some funny shit!

proguide66
11-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I just spit my coffee alover the keyboard!!! Now THAT is some funny shit!
Coffee at 10 !!???...bro , you gotta get up early tomarrow and hit it! Your kids probably going to drop a big one due to it being her first!

bushpig slayer
11-13-2011, 10:43 AM
you have the best threads,so fun to watch what other hunters see in the bush,good luck pg it will come.that buck is a hawg can't wait to see it on the ground!

proguide66
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Found some rubs over a week ago and suspicions were correct. Its the same buck I got photos of last year..I think he's as good as he's going to get for headgear.

Here he is last year,

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/blacktailcam041.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/blacktailcam035.jpg

and here he is one day ago...being real mean to defensless baby trees!

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0099.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0100.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0101.jpg

I 'repo'd' the cam........off to another buck!

270WIN
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
was out this week end all i found was this. my question is do you think this may be a wide racked deer judging buy thw space of the trees. Also are blacktails like whittails will they refresh scrapeds and rubs.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316159_10150923673825268_782120267_21241248_762311 934_n.jpg

proguide66
11-14-2011, 07:08 PM
who knows!....pair of bases of any size can scuff the shit outta a tree! The tree the buck is rubbing was rubbed a week ago and as well the willow to the left was rubbed.
I deffinitely found the rubs from the big buck in the video.There isnt too much bark missing off some 6" alders but there's some deep assed long gouges from a single tine...fer sure his left brow tine.
I rarely see the same tree rubbed year by year , but usually the same 'area'.

Gilmore
11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Though I agree most Blackies don't re-rub trees this is the tree in front of one of my trail cams. Its on a good trail and was rubbed last year (that's why I put the cam there) it was obviously rubbed again this year and I have a picture of a little spiker rubbing on it after it was already rubbed this year. So it does happen though I would agree with Steve not often.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSCF3122.jpg

Dutch Ppoacher
11-14-2011, 10:24 PM
was out this week end all i found was this. my question is do you think this may be a wide racked deer judging buy thw space of the trees. Also are blacktails like whittails will they refresh scrapeds and rubs.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316159_10150923673825268_782120267_21241248_762311 934_n.jpg

these rubs are from two different times! look at the colours! 2- lime green and white, 2- tan turning brown (outside rubs) i would guess individually rubbed as well

Prowler
11-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Coffee at 10 !!???...bro , you gotta get up early tomarrow and hit it! Your kids probably going to drop a big one due to it being her first!

OK, BUSTED! It was actualy Decaff Tea, I just didnt want to get kicked out of the Man Club!!
She did have a chance at a nice 2 pt, the only decent buck Ive seen this season, but it was a fleating glimps. Got her pretty stoked though.. The next day, I was on my way up to my spot, and a little spike stands in front of me, and WOULDNT MOVE!! "Where the hell were you yesterday?" Haha...

TheProvider
11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
comp crashed a few weeks ago, havent been on here, great vids pg... work is done for the year now so time to start hitting it hard, finally getting cold again... bring on tomo

TheProvider
11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
well a good morning, unfortunately had to come home early for a few errands, absolutely puking out now so it'd be great to be still out. Finding the deer in my spots have moved down just a lil. Found fresh tracks hiking up before day break but kept going to see what was higher up, dumb move :S but wanted to pick up one of my cams to move anyways. After finding no fresh tracks went back to the first ones, set up the cam as I see tracks here regularily. After setting up the cam started still hunting down the mountain. Within 200yrds from where i'd placed the cam saw two fresh rubs and 3 fresh beds. Might have jumped them out of there beds as I had went past just at day break.

Did bump into a deers tracks that I hadn't seen since early summer. Man his tracks are huge, tips are rounded off. A little trail cam frustration. I'd setup a cam in the early summer near where i'd seen his tracks, after having the cam up for a few weeks with no pics I took it down. Now this guy has been walking right by where I had the cam before. I've seen deer tracks on the trail lately but they've always been filled with snow, this was the first time I was able to see them clearly and man monster tracks!! Looks like he uses the trail every cple days. Time to set the cam up there again. I always try not to give up on a spot where I setup a cam but I also try to move them around as the seasons change. This time I'm kicking my butt for moving it. Hope to get a look at this guy on cam. Be even better to see him standing in his tracks.

Pumped for tomo

d6dan
11-16-2011, 02:03 PM
I have to disagree about BT's not rubbing the same tree every year. Here's a pic of one thats been hit for years by the same big bugger..

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/HPIM0415-1.jpg

and here's another one on his route.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/HPIM0413-1.jpg

proguide66
11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Thats a crazy rub tree D6! Ive seen the same tree rubbed as well...but not very often where I hunt anyway. The tree the buck is rubbing in my pics was rubbed before as well.
What I have found though is when a BIG buck 'sets up shop' in a spot , theres new BIG rubs clustered at good trail intersections.....then its only a matter of time .Hitting it again , feeling good about dropping that 3 up top....er maybe another biggy!

d6dan
11-17-2011, 02:12 PM
PG66, these are just a few of the trees he rubs on his little voyages. He's an older buck and damn smart ta boot!. I would think he's rubbing after dark,not sure but hopefully he makes a grave mistake one day.

bushpig slayer
11-17-2011, 03:02 PM
what's up pg your killn me to see a hawg on the ground it's nov 17 nothing yet,ah that's ok i'm drawing a blank so far too,let see who can get one first.it's on this weekend snow up in the hills should be moving good now.goodluck!

proguide66
11-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Well , 3 imes out , 3 bucks in front of me..
Gilmore and I pounded the shit out of our spots today.I had a fork in front of me then came across a MONSTER footprint with a fist sized blood spot in a print and two yotes in hot persuit.I took up the trail and the relentless yote persuit was unreal.That buck took em up high , down a cliff(where I almost died following) down a rock slide , face off in the botom then a mad dash straight downhill again. I was kinda expecting to see them standing in the lake at the bottom but nothig.
Then here this damned same bloody footprint right on my tracks wich I was taking out..damnit...if I hadnt taken up persuit they woulda ran me over.Wonder wich buck he was. Here's the latest pic,

'shooter' ?? no shortage of old aged buck in my spots still...but their getting wise.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0032.jpg

have two cams at key trails and rubs , ZERO sign of that big one since I video'd him.....damn smart bucks , they piss me off!!!...(not as much as those yote's as there was yote track on every deer track today)

TheProvider
11-17-2011, 07:20 PM
frig pg thats a hard angle to judge them at. Looks failry high and isnt narrow, I would say not a monster but a tempting shooter buck. Might fool you though from a head on view could be wider than expected.3.5" brow tines? Top half of his left G2 looks bladed. 4.5+ yrs making him "mature" . I'm thinking he's reached his max for head gear growth. Just my opinion though.

He'd be a good one for the bow. Better shoot him for a management buck so he doesn't keep breeding his lil rack genetics in your area ;) haha

Gilmore
11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
'shooter' ??

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/PICT0032.jpg

Absolutely....if your lost and starving.:)

ElectricDyck
11-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Hard to tell from that angle, is that double brow tines? You have 2 tags, drop him as a warm up for the the old gnarly based senoir citizen that won't make the winter.

Same alders get beaten up every year.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_1274.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_1270.jpg

bushpig slayer
11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
it seems the bucks in that area have big crab claws and week rears is that because they are old and going backwards or just genetics?

Gilmore
11-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Is he gonna be a nice buck one day or is he a career 2 pointer??

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/MDGC0004.jpg

proguide66
11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
it seems the bucks in that area have big crab claws and week rears is that because they are old and going backwards or just genetics?
Theres deffnitely a few different blood strains gong on. I'm real close to where Ive shot 14o's to 150's bucks with 5X genes..but also have shot some that want to go 3X.
The weak back forks seems ( to me) to be a typical blacktail trait. It seems rare to get BIG back breaks on a blacktail...but there out there.

proguide66
11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Thats deffinitely a 2 point from birth to death. Ive seen many small/young 5X's wich tends to make me think that IF a buck is going to be a great 5X , he starts out a small 5 and matures. That bugger looks to have a fat ass on him!

Side note , I'm about %95 sure I'm going to stick an arrow in a buck Ive been after for 4 years in the next couple days. I FINALLY put the last mystery piece of a puzzle together on him and he's patiently waitting for me with maybe 6 does.....cant wait.

Gilmore
11-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Is he gonna be a nice buck one day or is he a career 2 pointer??

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/MDGC0004.jpg

Same buck?? Its the exact same spot but 1 year later. And he does have a big ass, big feet as well which pisses me off as I'm tired of running up and down the frickin hill chasing a 2 point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3lpVf6_-Y

ElectricDyck
11-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Wow! Porky! Nice large bodied deer!

proguide66
11-18-2011, 07:42 PM
stick an arrow in him !

Gateholio
11-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Break in your new .260......

SHACK
11-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Awe crap Gilmore, quit pissin about and put him in your freezer. Not like ya dont have 2 tags you can fill in your region! ;)

Hell I put down a fork on Sunday after blowing 2 chances at a couple realy nice bucks, both chased does out of my sight window before I could get a suitable rest, one was a 120-130 4x, the othe was about a 110 3x, and I came home with a 50 inch 2x for some bloody meat.........and so the wife doesnt think I spend all day in the bar! LOL

Prowler
11-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Gilmore, that is an awesome video!! I love watching these ghosts.. Seems like youtube is the only spot I get to see them though...

Shooter
11-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't think those two are the same deer Gilmore. The still photo looks to me like he has deeper forks.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I think the vid is from the previouse year? Could be wrong, Ive been wrong B4...

Gilmore
11-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Yep, the video is from last year and the trail cam photo is this year.

huntcoop
11-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Gilmore and PG66, you guys have a few HONEY HOLES, please knock one down!

Sleep Robber
11-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Gilmore and PG66, you guys have a few HONEY HOLES, please knock one down!

I'd say add "Mr Gatehouse" and make it a trio, pretty sure he knows a few good spots too. Then hopefully we'll see a few cranker's by the end of the season on video.:)

I'm sure I speak for a few around here by saying this is one of the most liked threads of all time.:-D

BTW, PG66 and Gilmore, your vids rock man, I can hardly wait to get home from work to see if you've posted any more BT vids, something about BT's that put them over the top compared to everything else.

Now cut the BS and hurry the F--K UP, I'm going through withdrawls :cry:

Cheers Men !!

Downwind
11-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Well I had a great morning mixed with a little disappointment. We had a nice bit of fresh snow last night so I was excited see what was walking around. I found a bunch of fresh tracks so started following. They took me through some patches of timber and then through a cut block, through another patch of timber and back into another cut block. There was knoll along a tree line so I decided to get up high to see if I could have a better look and to my surprise there was a tan body! Not what I was looking for but still cool to see.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Hunting_Nov_19-_2011_005_640x480_.jpg

I thought I had seen movement in the trees and sure enough he was this guy playing shy.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Hunting_Nov_19-_2011_008_640x480_.jpg

I watched them and called them a bit so that was a lot of fun. After that headed down the road and saw a lot of track heading up in another area. Hiked up there, went into the trees, spooked a few grouse and then saw this guy trying to run away from me.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Hunting_Nov_19-_2011_030_640x480_.jpg

I saw tons of tracks in the trees but nothing in them. Came down and found where a calf elk had been bedded and there were a bunch more elk tracks. I decided to follow those, since when I followed the deer tracks I found the elk so thought maybe the reverse would happen. After an hour or so, and getting a little lazy I did see two deer. I had spooked them unfortunately and they were hopping away. I couldn't tell if either was a buck but had a feeling. The one stops just over a little ridge, scope up and sure enough he is a decent buck. Before I could get my safety off he disappears. I follow them, as it was easy with the new snow, and I bumped them out of a little patch of timber then descend into a little valley. I follow them down and there is a landing where I see one of the deer had fallen. I gathered myself a bit and creep up to the edge to look down and I don't see anything at first. Then I look to my left and there they are! Rifle up and safety off. I'm lining him up and have him nice broad side but there are a bunch of willow branches in front of me. Worried that I might hit one and deflect my shot I take a step to the right to clear. Mistake,just as I do that they walk off into another patch of timber and, although I searched for another half hour I never found them again. Pretty disappointing as I know he was at least a good three, if not bigger (outside the ears too) but mostly because I haven't had much time to get out and this was the first buck I've seen this year! Oh, well. Them's the breaks It was definitely a fun morning though and definitely fun chasing him around. He wins this round. Next round is MINE though lol

proguide66
11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
:mrgreen:I was on the ass of godzilla for a few hrs.......wind followed me all day.....found a shed so fresh looking its like it dropped off 10 minutes ago.
Put a tape on it and it has 68" on the damned thing! give it a conservative inside of 17 and double it...5" base , 8" around the gnurl...:shock:...I found him with a few does , they are on their wintering bench already and rutting it up.The wind kept at my back ALL DAY and kept him and his chicks 'just' ahead of me.I'll leave him alone for a few days...he 'should be' dead by Wed.:mrgreen:

Great pics Downwind!! keep em coming!
I'll post up pics and vid of the shed later!

Downwind
11-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Well hopefully tomorrow I'll have a couple of a downed gray ghost but only time will tell! Hope you bag that cranker PG!

proguide66
11-20-2011, 06:41 AM
HHere's his horn. I'll put the vid on later,might be better.
For the curious , this buck is well within the 'B&C boundery' ( wich doesnt mean much to us up here as we feel they screwed up with it) , this buck has lazy days watching the ocean believe it or not! I try and leave spots alone for a few days at a time before re entering and stirring it up. The bugger was 'just' ahead of me and the gang was slowly climbing up and up so I left....damned wind...

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC00960.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC00961.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC00962.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC00963.jpg

proguide66
11-20-2011, 06:47 AM
This is who I was originally looking for in this spot.......

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/trailcam2010mrB140-1.jpg might be his dad

I dont think this is the same buck as the shed..but might be his younger bro maybe? quite a bit narrow and no weight compared to the shed...cool to see 3 stages of buck in the spot , senior , teenager and prime.
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/trailcam2010mrB098.jpg

kennyj
11-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Thats a whopper shed Steve. Hope you get that guy.
kenny

proguide66
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I hit it again this am. -15 was a bit chilly! Work has been killing my Nov and isnt letting up.I was on the track of a large footed buck with a doe and it was the same cliffs as the big buck I accidentaly passed on a week ago.
Lots of sign but no sightings as they are wising up to me lurking around there. I tried a new angle approach wich I never used before and filmed a buck. Hr later I decided to go back after the track and followed.They must have winded me earlier cause they kept heading straight up into those damned cliffs.
All the sudden a deer jumped once a mere 10 yrds above my head on the next rock shelf up. I could only see his rack and let a call go to hold him.
I decided I was going to drop him and get one in the freezer anyway. I inched myself bckwards with gun up till I could see his face , waitted for him to turn and drilled him at the base of the skull...then one NASTY climb down was next...hopefully next time I get out I will get my BIG guy!
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/bookblacktail2011023.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC00977.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/bookblacktail2011029.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/bookblacktail2011021.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/bookblacktail2011043.jpg

proguide66
11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Here's a funky foot!http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/bookblacktail2011039.jpg

d6dan
11-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Right on PG66!.. 1 down and a bigger one to follow...

s-dog
11-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Sweet blacktail pg66!

~T-BONE~
11-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Right on steve! i let one go similar to that guy last saturday and am kinda kickin myself now! lol.. Zero action this weekend... Thats not your first buck with a funky foot.. No?? Nice to work with no meat damage eh?

proguide66
11-20-2011, 07:02 PM
hehe..no shit. Funny ,seen a few bucks from this hole with goofy dew claws. The puss footed buck was young Matts buck from Squamish last year. I'm soo limited on hunting days I'm getting REAL bitter! Going to make a BIG play on the buck who owns the shed in a couple days,fingers crossed!

kennyj
11-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Nice buck Steve.
kenny

huntcoop
11-20-2011, 07:18 PM
FINALLY, worth the wait, nice job. Looking forward to round 2. Gilmore and Gate it's your turn...........................

Camp Cook
11-20-2011, 07:26 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/02181.JPG

west250
11-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Nice looking bucks fellas - I just love hunting in the snow!

cainer
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Atta boy Steve

MattB
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Awesome thread and great pictures guys! Keep up the hard work, let's see what else you guys can knock down!

sniper ren
11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Real nice buck PG! Good luck on that old guy your after!

Tikka270wsm
11-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Great Buck ProGuide! Looking forward to seeing pics of his dead grandaddy!

rudysteelhead
11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Good one ProGuide. Go get that big bugger. I think we are all routing for you!

Spy
11-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Nice Buck Proguide, Nothing wrong with him!

bushpig slayer
11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
aaahhh finally the present was open,way to go pg you sure know your stuff about these elusive bucks,that one you got in the pics is a freakn hawg go get him!good luck.

11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Good on ya PG the tradition continues ........

looking forward to footage and the Bigger one DOWN

No chance for me getting back after the one I'm chasin yet.

CT
CT

proguide66
11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Good on ya PG the tradition continues ........

looking forward to footage and the Bigger one DOWN

No chance for me getting back after the one I'm chain yet.

CT
CT
You gotta get that bugger! Wish I had time , I'd come down for a peak with ya!

killer
11-21-2011, 08:25 PM
thats a great mat buck steve

RayHill
11-21-2011, 09:05 PM
My ten day trip ended last Saturday. Saw a few smaller bucks and lots of does, but passed on them hoping for the cranker! My Dad came out with me on this trip also. He hasn't been hunting for over 15 years and hasn't shot his gun in over that time also. He shot a small two point on the second to last day of our trip off the road at a little over 120 yards standing shot. Hit him right between the ribs on both sides not even chiping the bone and knocked the bottom of the heart off. Not bad for the old man! So he will not be having tag soup this year.

PG.... I hear you work is a real pain in my ass too, I have to go up north for a possible two weeks and that is going to put a real cramp in my BT hunting style this year. I'm thinking I should have shot one of those forkers i saw this trip for some roasts and steaks

proguide66
11-22-2011, 06:30 PM
There's obviously a shitload of people watching this as opposed to contributing.The amount of guys up here alone that are having shitty luck getting a buck is a high count.As well the amount of people who ask me " where's a good place to go for a good one" is quite high. Its SOO common to hear guys sayin " theres shitloads of tracks but I never see anything" and I'm getting asked non stop.
Here's a few solid tips for those not having success and I'll guarrantee these couple points are the #1 cause for zero success :

Number one reason....your going too fast..period. If you are seeing shitloads of sign and zero sightings , your going too fast.

Number two reason ... you let the wind go ahead of you at some point of the am. If the wind has been at your back for even a few minutes and your facing the spot with lots of sign..its DONE--OVER---AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Number 3 reason for zero success... You have been pounding the same spot lots...everytime you go you learn more about your spot.everytime you go the deer in the spot learn more about you.
I have 'go to' spot I leave alone for almost a year. I'll go through for a quick look or look for better trails during the summer or spring then leave it. 3 times in , 2 book bucks and accidentally passed on a book buck the 3rd time. I have now hit that spot 3 times in 2 weeks and the deer have gone nocturnal in there. Pics and past experience have proven they bounced around like bunnies in there all day......not anymore!

Anyway , the above is why most guys have shitty luck with blacktails.....asking me where to go wont change a thing for you.( the guys up here that is)..slow it down and watch the wind......if you still have bad luck , go slower...
EVERY mountain from the ocean to Meager mountain has deer on it...EVERY one. You want a good buck , pick one with steep assed rocky bluffs and BIG timber,get out of your truck and climb!. EVERY hill from here to there has a good one on it as well and every hill from here to Harrison and I'm sure up the coast.

Anyway , thats all I got.
oh ya and buy a video cam and a trail cam.;)

Any other b tail veterens that have some solid tips , let er rip!

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-22-2011, 06:51 PM
If it is pouring,pouring rain in November call in sick and go hunting.

Wood butcher
11-22-2011, 06:52 PM
There's obviously a shitload of people watching this as opposed to contributing.The amount of guys up here alone that are having shitty luck getting a buck is a high count.As well the amount of people who ask me " where's a good place to go for a good one" is quite high. Its SOO common to hear guys sayin " theres shitloads of tracks but I never see anything" and I'm getting asked non stop.
Here's a few solid tips for those not having success and I'll guarrantee these couple points are the #1 cause for zero success :

Number one reason....your going too fast..period. If you are seeing shitloads of sign and zero sightings , your going too fast.

Number two reason ... you let the wind go ahead of you at some point of the am. If the wind has been at your back for even a few minutes and your facing the spot with lots of sign..its DONE--OVER---AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Number 3 reason for zero success... You have been pounding the same spot lots...everytime you go you learn more about your spot.everytime you go the deer in the spot learn more about you.
I have 'go to' spot I leave alone for almost a year. I'll go through for a quick look or look for better trails during the summer or spring then leave it. 3 times in , 2 book bucks and accidentally passed on a book buck the 3rd time. I have now hit that spot 3 times in 2 weeks and the deer have gone nocturnal in there. Pics and past experience have proven they bounced around like bunnies in there all day......not anymore!

Anyway , the above is why most guys have shitty luck with blacktails.....asking me where to go wont change a thing for you.( the guys up here that is)..slow it down and watch the wind......if you still have bad luck , go slower...
EVERY mountain from the ocean to Meager mountain has deer on it...EVERY one. You want a good buck , pick one with steep assed rocky bluffs and BIG timber,get out of your truck and climb!. EVERY hill from here to there has a good one on it as well and every hill from here to Harrison and I'm sure up the coast.

Anyway , thats all I got.
oh ya and buy a video cam and a trail cam.;)

Any other b tail veterens that have some solid tips , let er rip!

Pretty important info there for sure.

I find bino's pretty key in finding these masters of hide and seek.

I'll contribute for the next up and coming killer of blacktails.
Here's a picture of his first buck shot this weekend. I'll get him and his dad (pictured) to post a story in the island section.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-latukdfKgeA/TsxPsNkWcqI/AAAAAAAAACQ/Bt-4xhRPiHM/s912/PB190003.JPG

killer
11-22-2011, 06:53 PM
taotally agree with pro guide slower and then slower when in my spots on the island i try to take a slightly different route each time . You will get to know your spot better i also go tree to tree lean against one then look everything over pick my next tree before i move all of a sudden usually when i let my guard down they just appear. good luck

Kitimat Killer
11-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Well said pg 66 I have been following this thred from the start and taking lots of notes
Love chacing bt's never get the chance to go much
Next year I'm going to make a try at it I've got a good spot
Just need to learn it and of course bring a cam haha
Just want to say thanks for all the tips and knowledge

KK

Shooter
11-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I messed up last week on a buck that would have likely been in around the 100" mark. I haven't slept right since :(

A quick question for you PG. When you go and hunt an area for a day. What is the general size of the area you focus on? 1km square? 5 km hill side? Just curious?

proguide66
11-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I have a handfull of spots and a 'hit list' of potential victims. Each spot has its plus and minus's in good. One spot of mine is a BIG assed 'hill' or 'small mountain' and only becomes populated during Nov and the winter. Its real high and most of the deer migrate out of there.BUT , there is a small pop of unreal genetically gifted deer that stay up there all winter and survive. I only hunt it once or 3 times a year as it damned near kills me. Its maybe a square mile of terrain I hunt on it.
Another 'go to' has pressure from 3 sides so I leave it alone and let it fill up. Its maybe 3 miles long and a couple wide. The area I hunt is maybe 600 yrds up , 200 wide.The area I hunt is physically a pain in the ass to hunt. I shake my head at how many people actually drive by and havent a clue whats in those spots under their noses but year after year NO ONE hunts there but me.
I have another spot where I killed the 151" buck. Its a long rige with nasty shit eatin clifs and boulder shelves with big timber. I can hunt it 'properly' in about 5 hrs. If it doesnt happen I'm outta there for at least a week unless I KNOW 'he's' in there with a hot doe...then its a cake walk.
If you can find a hot doe and theres a large breeder buck in there its all over! Ive been out 4 times this year seen 4 bucks and zero does....but have hundreds of pics and dozens of sets of tracks from the buggers!
Theres well known migration routes to hunt here and its common for guys to see a dozen or more deer in a day. I choose the tougher spots so I can hunt it on my terms and have no one screw it up for me as I like to single out 'a buck' and stay on him.
I have also found that the fewer deer in an area usually means the bigger and better quality..dont know why but it seems true so far!
The spot where I found the monster shed I have hunted for 4 or 5 years now and have never killed a deer there!!!...drivin me nuts..but you guys have seen the pics of the bucks there..crazy. Sure makes it a damned cool experience to finally pull it off with a mondo buck though! Maybe THIS is the year for that spot!

Shooter
11-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I shake my head at how many people actually drive by and havent a clue whats in those spots under their noses

I love this sentence. I don't have any "secret" spots. I just like to learn whats in a spot and figure out how to hunt them. One of my favorite spots is about 1km square.

5 spike
11-23-2011, 06:14 AM
I have a handfull of spots and a 'hit list' of potential victims. Each spot has its plus and minus's in good. One spot of mine is a BIG assed 'hill' or 'small mountain' and only becomes populated during Nov and the winter. Its real high and most of the deer migrate out of there.BUT , there is a small pop of unreal genetically gifted deer that stay up there all winter and survive. I only hunt it once or 3 times a year as it damned near kills me. Its maybe a square mile of terrain I hunt on it.
Another 'go to' has pressure from 3 sides so I leave it alone and let it fill up. Its maybe 3 miles long and a couple wide. The area I hunt is maybe 600 yrds up , 200 wide.The area I hunt is physically a pain in the ass to hunt. I shake my head at how many people actually drive by and havent a clue whats in those spots under their noses but year after year NO ONE hunts there but me.
I have another spot where I killed the 151" buck. Its a long rige with nasty shit eatin clifs and boulder shelves with big timber. I can hunt it 'properly' in about 5 hrs. If it doesnt happen I'm outta there for at least a week unless I KNOW 'he's' in there with a hot doe...then its a cake walk.
If you can find a hot doe and theres a large breeder buck in there its all over! Ive been out 4 times this year seen 4 bucks and zero does....but have hundreds of pics and dozens of sets of tracks from the buggers!
Theres well known migration routes to hunt here and its common for guys to see a dozen or more deer in a day. I choose the tougher spots so I can hunt it on my terms and have no one screw it up for me as I like to single out 'a buck' and stay on him.
I have also found that the fewer deer in an area usually means the bigger and better quality..dont know why but it seems true so far!
The spot where I found the monster shed I have hunted for 4 or 5 years now and have never killed a deer there!!!...drivin me nuts..but you guys have seen the pics of the bucks there..crazy. Sure makes it a damned cool experience to finally pull it off with a mondo buck though! Maybe THIS is the year for that spot!

i agree the fewer the deer in an area means bigger and better.

proguide66
11-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Here's a vid , not overly exciting but it shows the big guys horn when I found it! http://youtu.be/YxwC3GmqLHQ

cruiser
11-23-2011, 05:02 PM
There's obviously a shitload of people watching this as opposed to contributing.The amount of guys up here alone that are having shitty luck getting a buck is a high count....

I'd be another of the guys that looks forward to your BT threads every fall. Been quietly reading your reports for a few years now. Inspiring stuff, exceptional deer and great vids/info you're sharing. I've been learning my area for a few seasons now. Wish I had success worth posting on a trophy thread, but season isn't over yet :twisted:.

Seeing the success others have with still hunting I'm trying to give a shot. I was almost exculsively just stand hunting before. I know I am sometimes going too fast and spooking deer on my way in to a 'better' spot, force of habit from feeling I have to get to a destination (my stand). How much distance per hour do you guys cover typically: 100m? 200m? 500m? more? Trying to gauge how slow is proper slow. I guess that would depend a lot on cover and ground conditions (walking on wet moss or fresh snow versus a salal patch or crusty snow).

I agree with what was said earlier about the rubs. Most of the ones in my area are not targeting the same trees. The Exception seems to be one large alder cluster growing out of the bank in a rutting hole that has a many years worth of scars. The buck(s) keeps going back and raking up the +8" main trunk year after year.

Anyways, congrats PG66 on the first buck of the year, and good luck getting the big guy you're after.

rocksteady
11-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Here's a vid , not overly exciting but it shows the big guys horn when I found it! http://youtu.be/YxwC3GmqLHQ

Nice vid....You are the epitomy of a BT addict...

Keep it up and go shoot a cranker for us to look at.....(You can take 2 can't you?)

kennyj
11-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Nice video Steve. That sure is an AWESOME shed. Knowing there is a buck like that in the area is about as exciting as it gets.
kenny

west250
11-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Fun video, thanks for sharing once again...

proguide66
11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Nice video Steve. That sure is an AWESOME shed. Knowing there is a buck like that in the area is about as exciting as it gets.
kenny
No kiddin Kenny! I know you know what your lookin at with this shed! I'm going to put in a major try for this bugger with an arrow....damn tough decision but its impossible to see a deer past 50 yrds in there. Its a hell of a hike up to him..I mean REAL pain in the ass but by now the deer should have troughs made for traveling from shelf to shelf in this deep snow up here. I'm confident I'll at least have him live on video if not dead in the next few days , fingers crossed! We have had fresh snow today and supposed to tonight , will make it easy to cut his fresh track...

MattB
11-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Good luck tomorrow! That shed is huge for a blacktail! Looking forward to seeing what the buck looks like dead!

BlacktailStalker
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Good buck for a tag for sure, now go get grandpa :cool:

hunter1947
11-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Fantastic buck as always you know your stuff when it comes to hunting ,I really liked your you tube video clip that you posted up on this forum ,congrats to you on achieving another big BTD http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png I wish you luck on getting his grandpa looking forward to see the end results.

proguide66
11-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks Wayne! I'm eatin my 'good luck bacon and eggs' right now...hopefully Gilmore pulls a cranker this am as well...:-D

harbinger
11-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Gett'er done bonecollectors!

frenchbar
11-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks Wayne! I'm eatin my 'good luck bacon and eggs' right now...hopefully Gilmore pulls a cranker this am as well...:-D

isnt gilmore always pullin his cranker in the am ...lol good luck !

greenhorn
11-24-2011, 08:39 AM
That shed is wicked.... man you find some nice deer!!

bcmulie
11-24-2011, 10:57 AM
This thread is awesome - makes me want to do a lot more blacktail hunting! I hadn't hunted blacktails for a few years until this year. I shot my first blacktail since 2006 last week - also my first animal with a bow ever. Just a 2 point, but still pretty fun. I'm heading out again this weekend.

Proguide, I'm curious as to what you use for a call? Are they still responding to it, or are they past the rut now? Thanks.

bcmulie

bushpig slayer
11-24-2011, 11:31 AM
great job again and nice vid,hopefully i can pull it off this weekend.i see you beat me in the race of course but i guess that's why your a pro guide and i'm not.video to come i hope!nice shed too all i can see with that is major buck fever.lol

proguide66
11-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I hate deer hunting! Its impossible to stay dry...absolutely im possible. 1/4 way up a mountain and sweated up to the max.3 hrs into it (STRAIGHT UP) and knee deep snow , rock pile crossings , big cedar crossings-all straight uphill..ect ect...ignored all the tracks en route...concentrating on that bench....got there..NOT A TRACK.. started to side hill the mountain and drop in elevation,found em. He was literally doing circles around me AND rubbing the shit outta stuff , could smell him , see his fresh tracks , see his tracks in mine wich were laid 10 minutes earlier..found 1 bed...stopped to eat/drink and wait for him , fingers and toes froze solid , gloves soaked , exhausted...scraping ice off my arrow every 15 seconds...
Anyway..I'm on the mat , licked,KO'd...beat...uuugh....damned deer anyway!

The buggers are on fire though , rutting up a shitstorm for all curious. Shitty thing for me is this one spot has maybe 5 to 8 deer 'maybe'? Ive found two beds in 9 hrs hunting there total. I know of 4 different bucks and maybe 3 or 4 does there....now take a look at a frikkin mountain side covered in thick shit and try to find the damned things..aaarrrgghhh...
Might have to go do my 2nd tag in with a bullet.......er maybe fondle the shed for enthusiasm to try one more time....not easy packin a bow around in that crap,ice on sights,on arrows,filling peep sight.. freezing up , hands wet and freezing off...ect ect...elastic bands falling off the broadheads.(mechanical)..range finder getting clogged with snow every 5 yrds...buggers!...there's something to be said about gunpowder sometimes,lol

11-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Stupid black tails