PDA

View Full Version : Regional Bag limits - Deer

sapper
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Okay, I think I'm reading the Regs right but figured I'd better be sure. I have a friend who has just got into hunting and lives on the island (Lozzie). We are talking about going out together for a hunt on the Island and I'm pretty stoked as have never hunted on the Island and hear good things about the Island Bt's being quite tasty.
Here's my question: Let's say I harvest a BT buck on the Island that would mean that I can only harvest WT's back on the mainland as I would already have my BT (mule) buck and I don't have a LEH tag (despite my best attempts at procuring one) for an antlerless Muley?

The regs state, "aggregate bag limit for deer is 3. The bag limit for mule (BT) deer is 2, but only one may be a buck. Antlerless mule deer are under LEH only. The bag limit for WT deer is 2, only one of which may be a buck, and one of which may be antlerless."
Does that sound correct?

odie1830
09-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Im might be wrong but you have to look at each area's bag limit . I believe you can take 3 bucks if in different regions. Best to check with the CO's but it is my understanding if you get 3 bucks in different regions your ok.

fireguy
09-15-2011, 10:57 PM
No
If you take a buck in region 1 then you can take an antlerless mulie (blacktail) in region 1 in one of the open seasons or under LEH. The provincial bag limit for deer is 3, they can all be bucks, does or a combo of each as long as you don't exceed the regional bag limit in each region. You can take all mulies or all whitetails, or a combo, just no more than 3 total.
The QCI is a different subject all unto its own andhas its own deer tags that are different than the mainland ones.

shadow1982
09-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I currently have a LEH for a black tail doe in region 8, so i cant harvest anything other then a black tail doe.. since regional bag limit is 1, or can i take 1 blacktail or 1 mule deer?

russm86
09-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Correct me if I am wrong. But here is what I see. On page 16 the chart with provincial bag limits states 3 deer provincially but doesnt specify species and it notes to see "Deer Licenses Section". So go back to Page 8 and you find this:

DEER LICENCES

4A person must not possess more than
15 of any current year deer licences. The
combination of deer licences may include a
maximum of 3 mule deer and 3 white-tailed
deer licences.

To me with the key is AND, rather than or, between "3 mule deer AND 3 white-tailed deer" this means I can get a provincial bag limit of 3 mulies and 3 whities a total of 6 deer. These could be all bucks as long as only one buck of each species is taken from any one Region. ie: in region 3 I could take 1 mulie buck and 1 whitie buck. I could also get this same combination from say regions 5 and 8 assuming regional bag limits and open seasons allow it. FG is correct with the QCI deer being a whole different thing though. Also, as FG stated they could be a combination of bucks or does as long as you are compliant with the regional bag limits and general open seasons allow it or you have an LEH. Again this is how I interpret it and I'd like to think after my years dealing with legal jargon in different building and electrical codes as well as mastering the LEH that I might have somewhat of an idea ;) lol.

1/2 slam
09-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Correct me if I am wrong. But here is what I see. On page 16 the chart with provincial bag limits states 3 deer provincially but doesnt specify species and it notes to see "Deer Licenses Section". So go back to Page 8 and you find this:

DEER LICENCES

deer licences.

To me with the key is AND, rather than or, between "3 mule deer AND 3 white-tailed deer" this means I can get a provincial bag limit of 3 mulies and 3 whities a total of 6 deer. These could be all bucks as long as only one buck of each species is taken from any one Region. ie: in region 3 I could take 1 mulie buck and 1 whitie buck. I could also get this same combination from say regions 5 and 8 assuming regional bag limits and open seasons allow it. FG is correct with the QCI deer being a whole different thing though. Also, as FG stated they could be a combination of bucks or does as long as you are compliant with the regional bag limits and general open seasons allow it or you have an LEH. Again this is how I interpret it and I'd like to think after my years dealing with legal jargon in different building and electrical codes as well as mastering the LEH that I might have somewhat of an idea ;) lol.

Wrong

It's really simple. The provincial bag limit is 3 with the exception of the QCI. It can be a combination of WT and Mule deer. I could take a buck in 1 and 2 bucks in 2 and I'm done. I could take a buck in 1, a buck in 3 and a buck in 8 and I'm done. You cannot exceed the bag limit in a region.

fireguy
09-16-2011, 08:26 AM

DEER LICENCES

deer licences.

The provincial bag limit for deer is 3
you may posess up to 15 deer tags
the tags you posess can only be up to 3 mulies and 3 whitetails
Just because you now have 6 tags in your posetion doesn't mean you can shoot 6 deer in one season, the provincial bag limit for deer is 3, total

If you shoot 3 mulies and 3 whitetails, you would be exceeding your limit by 3 deer

fireguy
09-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I currently have a LEH for a black tail doe in region 8, so i cant harvest anything other then a black tail doe.. since regional bag limit is 1, or can i take 1 blacktail or 1 mule deer?

mule deer doe in region 8
the regional bag limit for mule deer is 1 as you have a LEH you may take 1 doe or 1 buck, once you have taken your mule deer, you are done for region 8

russm86
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
I see, so that's just licenses not actual deer... Luckily for me this has never been an issue then hey? lol. Usually only get one maybe 2 deer. So why would anyone buy 6 tags if you can only have 3 deer... unless your going on a really really long trip maybe and dont know what you will run into. But even then you'd think you could find somewhere to buy tags along the way. I would just have one available tag of each species at any given time, buy a new one for which ever species you tag out on, then the max you could possibly end up with that way is 4 tags and only one, maybe 2, would end up being unfilled possibly... not 3 or more unused ones...

BearStump
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM

DEER LICENCES

deer licences.

And this guy hunts in our province...................(head shake!) Just cuz you buy a tag doesnt mean you can kill the animal legally. I could have 10 B Bear tags but I'm only allowed 2 in the freezer. I could have 6 moose tags but I'm only allowed 1 dead moose.

This is the kind of misguidence about hunting that leads me to think that a hunting licence should be harder to get with much more indepth training about hunting laws and regulations, and wildlife education. I spoke with a guy from work the other day that has recently gotten his licence and is scheduled to go on his firs moose hunt next month who had no Idea that ungulates loose their antlers every year, and he could'nt tell the diffrence between a mulie buck or a whitetail. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

russm86
09-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Well the confusion for me was they just said deer 3, so was that 3 of each or just three, they could definitely word it better, never really spelled it out anywhere. hence why when it said see note in deer licenses section that made sense to me cause they are completely different species as far as im concerned so why group them together at only 3. To me that's like putting moose and elk together and saying provincial bag limit of 1. Definitely could be worded better. I know lawyers that have troubles interpretting different building and electrical codes as well as the regs so how does the average citizen stand a chance half the time. I have heard many people complain that they word it to try and trick them into breaking the law, I'm not so sure about that, I don't find it that bad over all, but I can see where they are coming from. Especially when they are trying to increase the number of white tail taken one would think they would separate them and reduce the mulie provincial bag limit so everyone doesnt get 3 mulies and no whities. I don't know... I think they could definitely update things and make things a little easier for the average person. Also, to Bearstump, there is no need for bashing me like that, i have never broken the law, it has always been a non-issue for me as i said. I take 1 deer and maybe 1 bear a year and as a single i can't eat any more than that so it's basically all i ever take. I'm not a poacher or a waster. As for the other guy bearstump was talking about, no comment.

finngun
09-16-2011, 09:09 AM
russm---they could definitely word it better///......................yes.so many confusion makers in regs....why ? simplify it...

KodiakHntr
09-16-2011, 10:27 AM

What?

No.

A)There are no blacktails in Region 8, they are mule deer. "Blacktails" are a subspecies of mule deer, coastal dwelling.
B)You can shoot a general season mule deer buck in Region 8, regardless of the fact that you have an leh.
C)Since the Regional bag limit for mule deer in 8 is one (1) mule deer, you may shoot a mule deer buck, OR a mule deer doe under your leh authorization. Thats it for Region 8.

sapper
09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Fireguy and 1/2 Slam. I believe my reading (according to your responses) is partially correct. I could still though, get a Muley buck back in region 3 or 8 even if I get one in region 1. Of course, no more than 3 deer total for the province.