PDA

View Full Version : I can't find the deer.

iwing
09-15-2011, 09:16 PM
I am hunting an area and I have found 10 deer beds that look freshly used. There was alot of hair in about 6 of the beds. But all the scat that I find is really dried out, none looks dark and squishy. The majority of the beds have been on flat spots in the timber along deer paths, at the edge of cutblocks or on bluffy timbered rock outcrops. The area is windy all the time and I saw a cougar tonight in the headlights on my way down the mountain. Their eyes are eery. So far I have only hunted the evening and havent saw a single deer. I think I will start trying in the morning now but I cant get out there until 8am, due to work. I have stalked slowly through the timber a few times with no success. I have sat out and watch the block edges in the evening and I have tried using a kmeer deer call but no deer sightings. If anyone can shed some light on what hair in the beds means, and why i dont find fresher looking scat, it would help give me some confidence to stick it out on that hillside.

Thanks

jeff
09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
try the morning at daylight its much better . are u hunting mule or blacktail

blackwater moose
09-15-2011, 09:27 PM
in a word , patience

iwing
09-15-2011, 09:45 PM
I think im hunting both including hybreds. I saw a hybred near civilization.

theK.G.B
09-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Now call me crazy. But I had a oddly familiar situation last September. I found what I was looking for after glassing the blocks and taking to a few trails. A 12 pack of does and juveniles. But keep in mind. The rut is around the corner. So I kept the best tabs I could on the "herd" as best I could and as nature would have it. all those doe eventually became buck bate. Unfortunatly not everyone has as much free time as I do to do this. But patients and your on the right track. You'll get Em no doubt about that!!!!
Happy hunting.
KGB

proguide66
09-16-2011, 06:59 AM
The fur in the beds will be there for years. The lack of fresh crap is your #1 clue..sounds like a wintering spot to me. Keep lookin ..but not in the same spot un til maybe Nov ( if I'm correct).