PDA

View Full Version : My new 3D setup almost?

RoscoeP
09-15-2011, 06:03 PM
So my Martin bow is sold, my Hoyt Maxxis 31 will be my hunting bow and I will use it for 3D until the new bow a Maxxis 35 is setup. I ordered a lizard tongue style launcher rest for it today, heard good things about these some of it from you guys and gals. Also got a Fuse Carbon blade stablizer, just under a foot long.
I deceided I did not want or like the look of the full on long stablizers bow setup etc. After getting some info from BZ-Mikey I am thinking about bow hunter release class?(I don't know much about the classes)
I am probably going to order a Spott-Hogg sight tomorrow, more research tonight. More money etc. new bow dosnt fit in old bow case, more $$. Thinking about the Hogg-it 7pin wrapped. I guess the 1 pin movable sights would put me up a class?
One more question, what pin size .010, .019? Any other ideas please throw them at me soon because I am getting something soon. Thanks Cheers Roscoe

Bowzone_Mikey
09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
the .010 if you can see them will tighten your groups at further distances .... the larger the pin is .. the more it becomes an area weapon at distance ... for me a .019 pin in my HHA 5519 covers the whole 10 ring and some of the 8 ring on a goat at 42 yards (most clubs are triing for realism and set the goats between 40 and 50 yards in my expiriance) a .010 wil only cover the most of the 10 ring at that distance .... on my long extention sight the .019 will cover the X ring and about 1/2 of the 10 ring ... the .010 will only cover the X ring and a bit tiny bit of the 10
Make sense?

the reason I say ... "if you can see them" is that people eyes are different and see things in different light situations different ways ...

BTW: what rest did you end up going with ?

RoscoeP
09-15-2011, 09:28 PM
I got the Fuse brand "Acculaunch Blade" it has micro adjustments and comes with a .010 spring steel launcher. The Trophy Taker I was considering came with a .012, I hope I am happy with it and think it is a good starting point. I'll post up when I order my sight and I think I will go with the .010 pins. Cheers Roscoe

RoscoeP
09-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Hey Mikey, or anyone out there when you shot BHR what did you have your 7 pins set at? My bows are 60 lb. Also Should I choise my peep size so that it out lines the pin gaurd? Recommendations etc. Thanks Roscoe

Bow Walker
09-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Pins - you might want to consider going with the .010 for distances of 30 yards and beyond (5 or 6 of the 7 pins in your sight) but staying with .019 for distances that are closer (the first 1 or 2 pins in your sight).

Color - of the pins will be an important decision as well. Red? Green? Yellow? Blue? Orange? For my eyes, I see the Blue color best. Not the choice of a lot of guys, but for me it works. Since 3D isn't as hurried or as an abrupt type of shooting you have lots of time to decide which pin to use. So going with a sight that has all one color (or two alternating colors) for the pins isn't a problem - like it would be in a hunting situation.

Peep size - is important too. Choose a peep that lets you see the glo-ring of your sight housing. You don't necessarily need to see the entire sight housing, but seeing the glo-ring is very important - it's another aiming device as well as another anchoring point. If you have to tilt or lean your head into the sight just to see the glo-ring then your anchor point is off.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
What he said........

RoscoeP
09-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I got the Fuse brand "Acculaunch Blade" it has micro adjustments and comes with a .010 spring steel launcher. The Trophy Taker I was considering came with a .012, I hope I am happy with it and think it is a good starting point. I'll post up when I order my sight and I think I will go with the .010 pins. Cheers Roscoe
Well I had a chance to look a a sight with some .010 pins on it and I didn't really like it(my 63 year old eyes maybe) I kept trying to like it but no they just didn't seem clear or right for me. So for now I found a good price on a Spott-Hogg (Hogg-it) it is only a 5 pin with .019 pins and small gaurd. I think this will work great for me for the next year or so, maybe forever. Later I may change out 1 or 2 of the pins for .010's, we will see.
I just know I have been really enjoying myself wandering around our 3D range, very peacefull. I would give up golf before archery. Well thanks for all you help, I knew I could count on you guys. Cheers Roscoe

Bow Walker
09-16-2011, 08:22 PM
That's what it's all about. Buy the sight that you want/like and then modify it with the fiber size/color that works for you.

I find that the .010 fiber size is just a tad too small for my old eyes. The .019 works well, but it would be good if there was an option for a size that was in between. Those shots that are beyond 30 yards are just screaming for a fiber optic size somewhere in between the two present options.