PDA

View Full Version : DISGRACE in sheep country! part I

mark
09-15-2011, 06:01 PM
For those that dont know, ive been busy stons sheep hunting this past month....Ive actually done 2 different fly in trips, with different people to different places!
Its been some great times and I have many great pics and stories to come......
On my second trip we drove to the far north, flew in to a very far and away remote lake location....we hiked and hunted for 3 days to get to this very remote sweet spot, so far from any access point I can only assume that very few people have ever been here....(no horse trail)

Upon getting to the little valley of sheep heaven, we looked for a place to camp, and what we found was absolutely disgusting!
It was obvious that sheep hunters had used this camp for many years previous, but the garbage left behind by the last group was like nothing ive ever seen in my life!!!!!
Scattered all over the place we found the following crap!
-sheets of poly
-tarps
-pots & pans
-cup & bowls
-bottle of wet wipes
-toothe paste, brush, dental floss
-sun tan lotion
-plastic bottles
-over 30 mountain house packages
-propane canisters
-rolls of string
-string tied to over 30 trees hanging everywhere
-a bent trekking pole
-shirts, underwear, etc.
-hatchet
-jerky packages
-there was other misc garbage everywhere!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sheep_trip_II_013_Small_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sheep_trip_II_012_Small_.jpg

Heres a few items that may be somewhat unique, maybe someone will recognize these items, it would be nice to expose the F'ing loser who did this and publicly smear his name to mud!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sheep_trip_II_028_Small_.jpg

apparently this pig cant see to well, I cant imagine why someone would have to write the cooking instructions on a mountain house package, never seen this done before myself???

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sheep_trip_II_029_Small_.jpg

I can tell ya that these pics only cover a portion of the mess left behind.
We found another spot to camp nearbye, but this mess angered me for days to come.
I couldnt imagine how anyone with the desire to get to this remote, pristine, location could do this????
One day we were burried by fog and rain, couldnt hunt, so we headed back to the garbage dump site, it took 2 of us, 2 hours to gather and burn all the crap left behind by the "sorry ass loosers"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sheep_trip_II_030_Small_.jpg

If anyone recognises any of this crap left by these idiots, let others that know them about this disgrace to mother nature!

Black Bird
09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Wow. That looks like a crap bomb exploded!

RiverOtter
09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
That's even bad for a local party hang out spot, I can't imagine someone flying all that crap in to leave...

No doubt you left it better than you found it Mark and hopefully it stays that way.

Stillhunting
09-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Sorry to see that in such a remote place. Unfortunately these days you expect to see this sort of thing in more accessible places and are more surprised when a campsite is left clean than when there is garbage everywhere. I hope someone recognizes that stuff and the disrespectful d-bags get busted.

Slinky Pickle
09-15-2011, 06:17 PM
I hope it's just the garbage of some idiots and not the remnants of a hunting trip gone horribly wrong. It almost looks like someone never got the chance to clean up their own mess.

Maxx
09-15-2011, 06:21 PM
What the hell MArk, you burned my stuff!!!

mark
09-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I hope it's just the garbage of some idiots and not the remnants of a hunting trip gone horribly wrong. It almost looks like someone never got the chance to clean up their own mess.

Funny...no high end packs, tents, guns or optics to be found???
Nothing but crap left behind!!!! Nothing of value left at all!

heres the trekking pole found in the nearbye alpine!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sheep_trip_II_043_Small_.jpg

MattB
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for cleaning that mess up! I can't believe people leave their garbage behind.

BuckEye
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
The further out you find it, the more of a piss off it is. I've had the opportunity to deliver back logging road garbage to the original owner on two occasions. It felt really good to dispense it all over their yard after I banged on the door to ask how it got where I found it. One woman said that someone must have stole their garbage from the curb. They got an extra burn out on the front lawn:twisted: Too many idiots leave too much personal mail etc in their garbage. This is how the return deliveries were made possible. I'm also somewhat less surprised to see all the new and unique spots where I would never figure to find a beer can, but behold, there one is....

todbartell
09-15-2011, 06:36 PM
good on you for cleaning it up Mark

Ghillie
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Saying Part 1 in the title leads me to believe there's more ????????? :'(

Blainer
09-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Agreed! Absolutely Disgusting!
Good on ya for setting a better example for the majority of the outdoor community.
Now,more on those sheep hunts????

dukester
09-15-2011, 06:39 PM
its a mess , but i was thinkiing , did the dudes get hurt and had toleave in a hurry, maybe the dudes are MIA. ?? i find it wierd leaving so much behind . thats expensive stuff. good on ya for the clean up.

gbear
09-15-2011, 06:48 PM
I was kind of thinking the same thing as dukester. Never seen that type of mess left behind

Bighorn hunter
09-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Thank you Mark and your hunting party for taking the time to clean up some other ahole's mess.

BH

09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I too have found a number of these type of sites over the year back packing for Deer, sheep and goats, always leaving with more then I came .... sickening really, I find the same thing on the rivers I fish. What is sad is it's the users of the system or area's doing it. How hard is it to take back what you came with.

Flipping PIGS !

Good on ya for cleaning up.

CT

kyleklassen
09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
thats them mac and blo guys for you......i.d be choked if i packed dental floss all the way in there and found out i didn't need too.

bc mike
09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Good on you guys. I get pissy when I find a small bit of garbage. You say no horse trail but any plane or heli companies that fly guys in there? Could be an avenue for info on the pigs.

Downwind
09-15-2011, 07:02 PM
its a mess , but i was thinkiing , did the dudes get hurt and had toleave in a hurry, maybe the dudes are MIA. ?? i find it wierd leaving so much behind . thats expensive stuff. good on ya for the clean up.

What was expensive? The broken pole? Empty propane canisters? If there were packs, tents, rifles or any of that kind of stuff then I would agree with you. Unfortunately it was just a bunch of morons that deserve to get their a$$ chewed by a grizz. Good on you Mark for doing what those a$$ hats should have done!

ydouask
09-15-2011, 07:09 PM

You have a very benevolant and forgiving attitude dukester, unfortunately I think, naive. To quote Good Old Ogopogo, " We have met the enemy and he is US !" Thank you for cleaning up Mark. This is not a recent phenomenon. twenty or so years ago my partner and I were shocked and disgusted as well by the absolute mess left by Sheep, Caribou, and Moose hunters around fly- in only areas of our beautiful Province The more inaccessable the spot the worse it seems.
Initially I, like you , thought that there must be some good reason for abandoning all this stuff.... like, the plane can only carry so much weight so leave the harvested animal behind , or lots of camp supplies instead of an extra ferry flight, or something like that. After some touring I've concluded that there are just a bunch of ungrateful, irresponsible jerks out there with no respect for the environment or their impact on it, nor anyone else or thing in it.
There.... that rant has been brewing for several decades. Deep breath, another, relax. Those *******s !

Big Lew
09-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Need more people like you, Mark, setting an example to others, especially youngsters, on being responsible.....as is said, if you can pack it in, you can pack it out. I too, have found wilderness camping sites in such disgusting mess, and on more than one occasion, having to make 2 trips out in order to carry my stuff, as well as the other crap. (one of the reasons I always have extra heavy-duty trash bags with me.

moose2
09-15-2011, 07:16 PM
So you did your good deed now are you going to tell us that you were rewarded with a big stone ram the next day . I hope so. Looking forward to the the stories and pictures of your month. Hope to see some nicer pictures than the ones than you just posted. I would like to think everyone that works that hard to get into sheep would respect the country their in. I guess there are idiots everywhere. If you don't mind telling me where you were I could head in and clean up some more myself. lol can't blame a guy for trying.Thanks for spending the time to clean it up Mark.
Mike

curt
09-15-2011, 07:16 PM
its sad that people can be that disrespectful buts its the reality fortunately enough we have people Like Mark who take it upon themselves to clean up behind people that dont deserve the right to use our back coutry so thanks for taking care of someone else's sh*T!! and if you are out there and reconize your stuff you and your buddies are F***ing pigs!

Phreddy
09-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Good on you Mark for cleaning it up. We usually end up cleaning up messes left by others, and while it sucks to find it, we are all responsible to keep the bush cleaner than when we find it. Some folks are real pigs.

timberhunter
09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Well I can tell you 100% for sure that at least 1 person in that camp was from Nanaimo.
The coffee cup is from the Island Phoenix Division sawmill in Nanaimo. 1994 was 1 year before I started working there. They were given out to emplyees.

srupp
09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Hmmm first off ....well done Mark and partner..exemplary behavior by a passioned hunter..

I have flown in to many locations , and hiked in and have personally never seen such a pig pen and disgusting deplorable behavior...no... not once have I seen this...

Since the location is pretty far afield its "logical" that these pigs were hunting....hence "one of us" very loosly put...its this kind of shit that tarnishes this wonderful sport...

Thanks for doing the right thing and also for taking the time to post this.....

Looking forward to some true hunting exploits now....

cheers

Steven

huntwriter
09-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Unfortunatly, it seems that this is getting worse every year. After the firearm season opened a friend, the wife and I went for a short drive up Helmer Lake area. We came back with two pick-up truck loads of garbage, discharged tarps and bags full of beer and other beverage cans. Not to mention the many bullet riddled trees and signs we've seen along the way. It's a great way to help non-hunters to form an opinion of us. Sadly it is not the one we need or want.

yiorgo3
09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
The coffe mug. I think is from the old Island Phoenix Sawmill here in Nanaimo. Good for you to clean it up. That is one of the reasons that the forest Co. lock the gates.

Gateholio
09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Good on you for doing the clean up, Mark. You kinda expect that crap closer to population, but when in the middle of nowhere, you don't- although I have seen camps left by BC hunters and outfitters that were a complete disgrace.

Jagermeister
09-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I hope it's just the garbage of some idiots and not the remnants of a hunting trip gone horribly wrong. It almost looks like someone never got the chance to clean up their own mess.It does look kinda like that way doesn't it. But if you're not finding packs and other valuables, then it has to be assumed to be some neanderthals' garbage and not a destroyed camp. People like that have no care or concern for those that follow, they are only self-absorbed, egotistisitical dipshits that think that everything in only in their realm.
Good of you to clean it up as I am sure that the rest of us too would have done the same.

ThinAir
09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I hope you saw as many rams as you did garbage.

BCrams
09-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Good job picking up / burning all the garbage. Its pretty sad to see guys who won't pack out what they pack in.

09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Wow. Just wow. Thanks for cleaning it up.

I doubt there is more than one charter operator flying into that one area. Did you mention it to the pilot?

StoneChaser
09-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Good on ya for cleaning that up!

A few of my buddies flew in this year and observed a group heading out with a ram....they dumped their food and goods (removed wrappers).

However, these guys left tins from various snacks (sardines, oysters??) under every other rock.

Oddly enough, it turned out to be at least one member on this site (hard to forget a face through the spotter, especially when he posts up a pic of his ram).

Pack it in, pack it out!!!

Little Red Man
09-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Holy SHYTE!!....That is absolutely insane! Whenever I am in the bush with my 8 yo, and we see garbage of any kind, we pick it up, and I constantly tell him that it is the STUPID people with SHYTE for brains that litter......freekin' no minds......sigh

f350ps
09-15-2011, 08:42 PM
My guess is some big shit happened and they grabbed their expensive stuff and got the hell outta there, at least that's what I hoped happened. K

fowlweather
09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
almost looks like a bear came in and tore S$#t up, still an absolute mess

mrak
09-15-2011, 08:51 PM

maybe a bear ate them and was looking for desert,

mark
09-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I hope you saw as many rams as you did garbage.

Actually I did, as I took these very pics there was a group of 14 rams in plain view less than 1000 yards away, like I said, it was sheep heaven!

Wow. Just wow. Thanks for cleaning it up.

I doubt there is more than one charter operator flying into that one area. Did you mention it to the pilot?

Didnt bother, 2 or more possible pilots, as well a very long hike from any lake, I might also mention that this mess may be a year old already! Not necessarily recent??

My guess is some big shit happened and they grabbed their expensive stuff and got the hell outta there, at least that's what I hoped happened. K

What type of "big shit" could stop one from burning and burying their crap, I burn my wrappers and stuff daily! This mess looked like a dump site, I dont know how anyone could even camp in a mess like I found!

Absolutely no sign that a bear had anything to do with this mess, believe me I considered that, nothing chewed or clawed!
Really sad thing is that it wasnt just 1 person....over 30 mountain house wrappers tells me its probably 3 people???
This was by far the remotest piece of earth my feet have ever been to!

MattB
09-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Hmmm first off ....well done Mark and partner..exemplary behavior by a passioned hunter..

I have flown in to many locations , and hiked in and have personally never seen such a pig pen and disgusting deplorable behavior...no... not once have I seen this...

Since the location is pretty far afield its "logical" that these pigs were hunting....hence "one of us" very loosly put...its this kind of shit that tarnishes this wonderful sport...

cheers

Steven

I know of a couple people that have come across the charred remains of that tent you burned on your solo sheep hunt. Not trying to start something here but we gotta remember that burning garbage doesn't get rid of it ;).

todbartell
09-15-2011, 09:20 PM
popcorn????

Caveman
09-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Absolutely disgusting!! Good on you taking the time to do a good deed, but should not have to be. I hope part two has a better story line though buddy!

Mik
09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
I was kind of thinking the same thing as dukester. Never seen that type of mess left behind

agreed with dukester, but thanks for cleaning up.

budismyhorse
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Good on ya for cleaning that up!

A few of my buddies flew in this year and observed a group heading out with a ram....they dumped their food and goods (removed wrappers).

However, these guys left tins from various snacks (sardines, oysters??) under every other rock.

Oddly enough, it turned out to be at least one member on this site (hard to forget a face through the spotter, especially when he posts up a pic of his ram).

Pack it in, pack it out!!!

Ahhhh the classic smashed can hidden under the rock........the height of laziness and shamefull thinking "out of sight out of mind".

It is incredible what we continue to find out in the bush. Thanks for this thread Mark, you never know how many douchbags are reading this thinking "Whoops.....guess I should pack that out from now on. Pappy must have learned me wrong".

Downwind
09-15-2011, 09:58 PM
What ever happened to the belief of "leave only footprints"? or "come out with more than you came in with"?

Orangethunder
09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Wow man, what a complete sh!t show. I'd hardly accuse anyone who does that as being a hunter. Kudos for cleaning that up.

rudysteelhead
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Cudos for the cleanup. In such remote areas it truly is a huge let down. Now, if we as hunters can only get the idiots to clean up their 12g spent rounds we would be laughing.

theK.G.B
09-15-2011, 10:21 PM
What ever happened to the belief of "leave only footprints"? or "come out with more than you came in with"?

Agreed!!! Since I was a young tot. I can always Remeber those basic rules of outdoors!!!!
And good on you sir for cleaning the mess of dense headed dill holes.

09-15-2011, 10:24 PM
You know, I've been thinking about this a bit more. I can imagine some a-holes leaving garbage, but pots/pans, spoon, fork, shirt, underwear - that just seems odd.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm guessing those pigs connected with a ram or two...or three. Completely undeserving "hunters"(and I use that term loosely) if that's the case.

Good work on the cleanup Mark!

SSS

rollingrock
09-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Maybe it's part of weight reduction for some successful sheep 'hunters'. ;)

BromBones
09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Maybe it's part of weight reduction for some successful sheep 'hunters'. ;)

What I thought as well. You'd think if there were two or three guys, splitting up a couple lbs of garbage between them for the hike out would have been easy enough to do. Only one word to describe that = LAZY.

pg83
09-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks for posting this and doing the clean up Mark. I hope you connected on a ram and look forward to the story and pictures!

KodiakHntr
09-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Good on you Mark for doing the clean up.

Ruger4
09-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Hoping it was bears and other critters that did the damage and not hunters / hikers , however the goods left behind should have been packed out if not to be used again , good job on the cleanup Mark..............we've all cleaned up after someone or something at some point and time , its in us as outdoor enthusiasts !!

Fisher-Dude
09-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the clean up Mark. What a frikken mess.

I once gathered $48 in bottles and cans left behind by a grad camp out. Another frikken mess, but not 100 miles from nowhere!

Fisher-Dude
09-16-2011, 06:47 AM
popcorn????

Don't eat too much or you'll get a ride in the waaaaaambulance!

SHAKER
09-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Really sad sight but it happens everywhere...... I think everyone has encountered something like this out in the jungle but you might have a record for farthest from the road! Good job on the clean up, a little fire takes care of just about anything.

09-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm wondering if it could have been an outfitters cache that had been ransacked by a grizzly?? He should still have returned and cleaned-up his crap, but who knows the exact details of what happened.

Rackmastr
09-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Thats one hell of an ugly campsite!!!

Good on ya for cleaning it up.....

Islandeer
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Loserville, they should be forced to eat their garbage.

markt308
09-16-2011, 09:13 AM
drives me bonkers when anyone litters ANYWHERE. but it makes me especially mad when peple who are using the outdoors ( hikers, hunters, fisherman etc) and appreciating it's pristine and untainted beauty, just feel like they can litter like that. like what do they think the place would look like if everyone was that stupid? definintly makes me wanna wopp some a$$

huntcoop
09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
popcorn????

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059/2849691528_d3b46fd933.jpg?v=0

Glenny
09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Ya its quite a shame. I don't know how people can do something like that, but there's a lot of them around for sure. These aholes should have their noses rubbed in it like a dog that peed on the carpet.

greenhorn
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Until we see a can of Bud or Lucky - we can't be sure they were hunting :)

Actually, some of the worst polluters I've seen camping weren't hunters at all, but self proclaimed environmentalists on here on the island.

Gateholio
09-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Like the tarp city left behind by the Clayquot logging protesters. Eventually cleaned up by thr local r&g club iirc

greenhorn
09-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Like the tarp city left behind by the Clayquot logging protesters. Eventually cleaned up by thr local r&g club iirc

Actually that was exactly what I was thinking - we toured that area once and the camps were disgusting - they even left used TP laying about!!

LYKTOHUNT
09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Until we see a can of Bud or Lucky - we can't be sure they were hunting :)

Actually, some of the worst polluters I've seen camping weren't hunters at all, but self proclaimed environmentalists on here on the island.
At least if you found Lucky cans around you would know to look for guys from the Island

Rubberfist
09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Regardless of whether that was an a) blatant mess left by some slobs, b) a hunter-cache ransacked by some critters or c) a weight-reduction program founded upon necessity, it was very nice of you to clean it up.

Thank you.

Jelvis
09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
I didn't know sheep hunters were like this, I guess sheep hunting has some bad habits like the rest of the world eh?
Jelvis. Man what a mess left behind by sheep hunters I still can't believe those photos

houndogger
09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Should have seen the mess left behind from the protesters of the new parking lot in cathedral grove.

Iron Sighted
09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Regardless of whether that was an a) blatant mess left by some slobs, b) a hunter-cache ransacked by some critters or c) a weight-reduction program founded upon necessity, it was very nice of you to clean it up.

Thank you.

I'd be curious to know what kind of weight reduction necessity would cause someone to leave a mess like that, I have a hard time believing it was truly a "necessity", more likely inherent laziness and just plain slob like behaviour. I'm not saying that there may not be a plausible explanation, but I seriously doubt it myself.

blackbart
09-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Good work on cleaning up the mess.

Any chance that the debris field was not left by hunters? Your comments about the propane canisters and rolls of string make me wonder if it was a fly camp for mineral exploration activities??? Rolls of string are used in hip chains for measuring distance when staking claims etc. Sure sounds to me like a heli drop off for workers rather than hike for three days.

Might not be a bad idea to report the debris to the local Ministry of Enviroment (Environmental Protection Division) and Ministry of Energy and Mines. If the mess was left by an exploration company (or contractors working for them) it should be relatively easy to track down who has tenure in the area.

Send me the Lats and Longs and I can cross reference mineral titles online for you:)

BillBraskii
09-16-2011, 02:13 PM

cheers

Steven

I know of a couple people that have come across the charred remains of that tent you burned on your solo sheep hunt. Not trying to start something here but we gotta remember that burning garbage doesn't get rid of it ;).

Im glad somebody called him out on this.
Always tries to paint himself as the super hunter that does no wrong.
Just because a guy tells everybody good areas to hunt in(much to the dismay of some of the the people who showed him the spots in the first place only to have them blabbed all over the internet:twisted:)
doesnt mean he is a standup guy.

pg83
09-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Im glad somebody called him out on this.
Always tries to paint himself as the super hunter that does no wrong.
Just because a guy tells everybody good areas to hunt in(much to the dismay of some of the the people who showed him the spots in the first place only to have them blabbed all over the internet:twisted:)
doesnt mean he is a standup guy.

If you are pissed off at someone because they gave up "your" honey-hole you can send them a "private message" on here, no need to re-word the same post in two threads for us all. The forums are much more pleasant without having to read through the mud-slinging.

09-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Any chance that the debris field was not left by hunters? Your comments about the propane canisters and rolls of string make me wonder if it was a fly camp for mineral exploration activities??? Rolls of string are used in hip chains for measuring distance when staking claims etc. Sure sounds to me like a heli drop off for workers rather than hike for three days.

That would make way more sense to me that hunters leaving such crap
Might not be a bad idea to report the debris to the local Ministry of Enviroment (Environmental Protection Division) and Ministry of Energy and Mines. If the mess was left by an exploration company (or contractors working for them) it should be relatively easy to track down who has tenure in the area.

Send me the Lats and Longs and I can cross reference mineral titles online for you:)

I bet that's it

frenchbar
09-16-2011, 04:20 PM
fly in camps usualy dont eat mountain house crap ..they eat steaks lol ..its slob sheep hunters!!!!!

BillBraskii
09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
fly in camps usualy dont eat mountain house crap ..they eat steaks lol ..its slob sheep hunters!!!!!

bingo:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

srupp
09-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Bill I do not paint myself anything I try just like every other hunter, I have had success and failures ..like any other hunter..and like any other hunter I at times do burn garbage when its required and allowed. 3 days of howling winds and rain..I did burn all my trash on my solo sheep hunt..yes Matt even my tent that was nfg..thought it was a pretty good job..other obviously disagree,,,in numerous CO checks my/our camps are allows being pointed out as exemplarary.

Im not here for fisher Dudes comendations nor Bills...I come I learn,,I share..most of the Craiboo help ie grizzlies was from working hunting and help from Folks like Clayton, Betty, etc..but living here for over 3 decades has helped also..

Yes I am blessed to get help from others...where Scott and I got my ram I have told no other person..

Dont remember pissing in your panacakes but thats pretty obvious you are upset..I have a PM ..if you feel wronged..send me a pm..I never said I was perfect far from it..let me know what you seem so upset about??

cheers

Steven

nature girl
09-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Mark that is just great that you and your buddy cleaned up the mess from them slobs. How could someone do that. Its really a shame when you go and fly in and then walk to a spot that you think is going to be so beautiful and you see that crap and then it makes you mad and all pissed off.
Some people are just losers in life. But I shouldnt really judge there could really be a good reason why he or she left that. Had a big ass grizzly chasing them or had a family emergency. Who knows. You and your friend did a good dead in my books.

RJ
09-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Good on ya for cleaning it up! Does part 2 include some sheep?

mark
09-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Bartman, I can assure you there was no mineral exploration nearby, all the stuff was characteristic of sheep hunters, and thats the only reason anyone would ever be camped in this place, the string was used for tying tarps up etc. (not hip chain)

Mark that is just great that you and your buddy cleaned up the mess from them slobs. How could someone do that. Its really a shame when you go and fly in and then walk to a spot that you think is going to be so beautiful and you see that crap and then it makes you mad and all pissed off.
Some people are just losers in life. But I shouldnt really judge there could really be a good reason why he or she left that. Had a big ass grizzly chasing them or had a family emergency. Who knows. You and your friend did a good dead in my books.

Grizz or family emergency, if they had time to pack the valuables, they could of had a fire and burned all this crap. It took us 5 days of traveling to get to this place from my house, and 4 days to get home, so theres no excuse at all for leaving this mess!!!!!
Like I said people, there was no sign of a bear at all!

Actually it does :(

358mag
09-17-2011, 07:34 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by RJhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=979269#post979269)
Actually it does :sad:

Fire up the popcorn machine

silvicon
09-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Kudos for cleaning up other 'hunter's" mess!
I always pick up garbage left by 'resident hunters' and FN's, either working or just out-and-about.

The Hermit
09-17-2011, 08:32 AM
I've been in people's homes that look like that multiples... some people "live" in total squalor. Just goes to prove that hunters come from all walks of life. Thanks for cleaning it up Mark!

Allen50
09-17-2011, 03:28 PM
well its good you cleaned up soneones mess, but not what you should be doing in the mountians, should be hunting,, good for you to clean, keeps the wildlife from eating it, etc. but i dont think its hunters that left the mess, would be something pochers would do, poch game and leave with out cleaning up, if you had to fly in then someone who flew these guys in might know them, it takes al kinds,,good luck on your hunting,,,,

Jelvis
09-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Maybe the people were coming back in a few days to live there and a big grizz tore it up like a chainsaw.

frenchbar
09-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Maybe the people were coming back in a few days to live there and a big grizz tore it up like a chainsaw.

ya maybe they were going to build a condo.....who nose,,,,,

deer nut
09-17-2011, 07:17 PM
What happened to outdoor ethics? I thought sheep hunters were supposed to be the cream of the crop. Obviously these guys are not true-blue!

Jelvis
09-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I have a hard time believing this was done by sheep hunters honestly, I've never ever heard of sheep hunters doing this in wild back country ever before and have a difficult time accepting this was one. benefit of doubt??????
Jelvis .. cuz we don't know 100 percent

frenchbar
09-17-2011, 07:39 PM
100%%% sheephunters jelldoubter.

huntcoop
09-17-2011, 07:43 PM
100%%% sheephunters...

Perhaps it was the Sheep Sheriff, maybe the "creme of the crop" has curdled.

frenchbar
09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Perhaps it was the Sheep Sheriff, maybe the "creme of the crop" has curdled.

could be ...there was no kraft dinner boxes scattered about ...

IslandHunterBXL
09-18-2011, 01:39 AM
dont be so fast to sh*t on someone. I have a secret beach close to where i live that i frequent often. I left a big tupperware tote with almost that exact list if gear and came back 2 weeks later to find a bear had scattered the shit everywhere. nobody that would go to the effort that you have to get to a prime location would do that. shame the mess you found but i think you are pointing fingers prematurely

09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
dont be so fast to sh*t on someone. I have a secret beach close to where i live that i frequent often. I left a big tupperware tote with almost that exact list if gear and came back 2 weeks later to find a bear had scattered the shit everywhere. nobody that would go to the effort that you have to get to a prime location would do that. shame the mess you found but i think you are pointing fingers prematurely

I agree with this. I just cant see sheep hunters being so sloppy. Moose, elk and grizzly hunters? Yes. Sheep hunters, no.

Bighorn hunter
09-18-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree with this. I just cant see sheep hunters being so sloppy. Moose, elk and grizzly hunters? Yes. Sheep hunters, no.

Could be, but,,, most bears don't do such a neat job of opening the mountain house's?

just a though
BH

Rattler
09-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Without a doubt one of my biggest pet peeves. Good on you for cleaning up this mess. I found many campsites this summer where garbage was left strewn all over the place and in one case the fire left burning?. I can't understand some people??

mark
09-18-2011, 10:25 AM

Could be, but,,, most bears don't do such a neat job of opening the mountain house's?

just a though
BH

Islandhunter, did the bear eat the entire rubbermaid tub and leave all other stuff unchewed???
Do you save weeks worth of food wrappers in your stash????

As Ive mentioned several times in this thread, I did my own investigation, examined all the crap for tooth and claw marks and found none, no sign of any bear action whatsoever!!!!

Most of this crap was just that "crap", not the stuff I would have stashed for future use, no sign of any storage container, nor any effort to have a neatly contained little stash of gear!
The 30 empty mountain house wrappers were scattered within a 20' radius of a fire pit.
As I mentioned before, this camp is used by nothing else but sheep hunters, just have to trust me on this one!
Ive received a few PM's......
Seems the yellow cup as well a couple other items have jogged some ideas as to who the culprit might be, no names have been mentioned but I sense the pig may feel some heat for this in one way or another! :twisted:

huntcoop
09-18-2011, 10:31 AM
......I sense the pig may feel some heat for this in one way or another! :twisted:

Nice, now let's put this to bed and hear part 2 about the sheep.

rocksteady
09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Mark....Please do not take offence to the following comment, it is not intended as offensive......Just my opinion ....

Good on you for cleaning up the site......

However, was burning the debris the only option available for disposal? How much did all of the debris weigh? Would you have been able to pack it out with you (although it is not your responsibility)?

I am of the opinion that burning plastics , rubber, etc is old school and is no longer tolerated in our society. Burning dirty diapers in the back yard burn barrel is frowned upon, open pit garbage dumps that were set on fire periodically are no longer allowed (metal transfer station bins)......

I know that there are a lot of pigs out in the bush, I have seen it, as well as the pictures posted on this site by members is proof enough......I am leery that they way to deal with this issue is to burn it....Say for example, that a member finds a pile of similar debris at the end of a logging road where they are going to set up their hunt camp. They pile up all of the crap and burn it, what happens if a CO comes around the corner and then fines the member for burning prohibited material?

Once again Mark, no offence intended....I am just against burning crap like that...I do realize that a fly in/backpack hunt is a different scenario...just wondering...

TRIPALM
09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
that coffee cup is island phoneix division ,nanaimo harmac sawmill

Jelvis
09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't recommend burning it tho. Burning can destroy grass and scorch the earth.
Plants also, I would have packed the plastic out, maybe bury the rest under and cover leaving top soil back in place.
jel .. burning isn't recommended in the back country on the grasses and plants ..

mark
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Mark....Please do not take offence to the following comment, it is not intended as offensive......Just my opinion ....

However, was burning the debris the only option available for disposal? How much did all of the debris weigh? Would you have been able to pack it out with you (although it is not your responsibility)?

I am of the opinion that burning plastics , rubber, etc is old school and is no longer tolerated in our society. Burning dirty diapers in the back yard burn barrel is frowned upon, open pit garbage dumps that were set on fire periodically are no longer allowed (metal transfer station bins)......

I know that there are a lot of pigs out in the bush, I have seen it, as well as the pictures posted on this site by members is proof enough......I am leery that they way to deal with this issue is to burn it....Say for example, that a member finds a pile of similar debris at the end of a logging road where they are going to set up their hunt camp. They pile up all of the crap and burn it, what happens if a CO comes around the corner and then fines the member for burning prohibited material?

Once again Mark, no offence intended....I am just against burning crap like that...I do realize that a fly in/backpack hunt is a different scenario...just wondering...

Rocky, re-read the list of crap we found, take into consideration it took us 18 hours of solid hiking to reach this place, we had a massive hill, with no trail to climb back out to get back to our drop point.......burn or bury was the only option!
As you very well know, nature burns everything on this earth at some point in time, I dont feel that burning stuff is a crime????
We made the disgusting mess disapear!

I wouldn't recommend burning it tho. Burning can destroy grass and scorch the earth.
Plants also, I would have packed the plastic out, maybe bury the rest under and cover leaving top soil back in place.
jel .. burning isn't recommended in the back country on the grasses and plants ..

Hey jel, take a breather, we burned it in an existing firepit area, maybe 2 square feet???? there was about 80 zillion acres of plants and grasslands out there....the sheep wont starve! :)

killer_shot
09-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Good on you for cleaning that crap up and burning it was the best thing to do as the grass will grow back way faster than the plastic will compost. I feel your anger, i couldent give a crap if you guys throw your garbage on the side of the city street but when i go to the bush i want to see bush. Some rednecks including a few of my friends think its cool to just toss all their sh*t out the window as they drive farther and farther into the wilderness, really pisses me off.

cheers !

jackychiles
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I am blown away by this. Why someone would do something that disrespectful is beyond me. Your a good man for cleaning it up

rocksteady
09-19-2011, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=mark;981074]As you very well know, nature burns everything on this earth at some point in time, I dont feel that burning stuff is a crime????

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/34_145_93#section3.1 Read Section
Prohibited material

3.1 A person must not burn, with debris that is open burned, the prohibited material set out in Schedule A.
and

Schedule A
[am. B.C. Reg. 321/2004, s. 18 (i).]
(Section 2 (b))
Prohibited material

1 The following material must not be included with debris that is open burned:
tires, treated lumber, plastics, railway ties, drywall, manure, demolition waste, rubber, domestic waste, asphalt paint, asphalt products, hazardous waste, fuel and lubricant containers, tar paper, and or biomedical waste

So, just to play devils advocate here you say that burning stuff is not a crime, however under the above quoted regulation it is an OFFENCE, therefore is it not a cime???:confused::confused:

mark
09-19-2011, 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=mark;981074]As you very well know, nature burns everything on this earth at some point in time, I dont feel that burning stuff is a crime????

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/34_145_93#section3.1 Read Section
Prohibited material

3.1 A person must not burn, with debris that is open burned, the prohibited material set out in Schedule A.
and

Schedule A
[am. B.C. Reg. 321/2004, s. 18 (i).]
(Section 2 (b))
Prohibited material

1 The following material must not be included with debris that is open burned:
tires, treated lumber, plastics, railway ties, drywall, manure, demolition waste, rubber, domestic waste, asphalt paint, asphalt products, hazardous waste, fuel and lubricant containers, tar paper, and or biomedical waste

So, just to play devils advocate here you say that burning stuff is not a crime, however under the above quoted regulation it is an OFFENCE, therefore is it not a cime???:confused::confused:

Ya know Rocky, I obey most laws that make good sense to me, like dont rape kids or mug old ladies etc....... but.... I have rode a bicycle without a helmut, I have jaywalked, even drove my truck without a seatbelt, and yes burned a pile of crap that some losers left in the bush.....guess Im a bad-ass????

Your a better man than me if you would, or could, of packed out all that sh!t!

Rackmastr
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm with Mark on this one.....I would have burnt it as well to clean it up. Only makes sense!

Good on ya yet again....you did what almost anyone would do.

SimilkameenSlayer
09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
good on you mark ! for doing the right thing.

thank you ...

BernDawg
09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
For what it's worth my vote is - good on you for cleaning it up! I would've burnt it off too as I feel it's the least of all evils in this situation.

rocksteady
09-20-2011, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=rocksteady;981100]

Ya know Rocky, I obey most laws that make good sense to me, like dont rape kids or mug old ladies etc....... but.... I have rode a bicycle without a helmut, I have jaywalked, even drove my truck without a seatbelt, and yes burned a pile of crap that some losers left in the bush.....guess Im a bad-ass????

Your a better man than me if you would, or could, of packed out all that sh!t!

LIke I said when I started the reply, NO OFFENCE INTENDED, looks like it did not work :)