PDA

View Full Version : looking for someone experienced to hunt with in kelowna or surrounding areas

604redneck
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
So another unsucessful day looking for a bear today.....5 mulie does and a coyote though. also heard a shot then about 2 minutes later a second shot about a half click away judging by how loud it was, not that my guess is that accurate since there are usually echoes in the mountains but as i was on a ridge just glassing the last sun covered slope i saw as the sun was going down i hear a truck driving down the road behind me then they stopped and bang another shot this time it was really close so im sure there are critters moving where i am so i will proly just keep pounding those roads and such....didnt ever have anyone to teach me anything about hunting(dad stopped hunting when i was born)everything i know i learnt on my own including how to gut and skin ive shot 4 deer a moose and a black bear(in region 2) along with a really large number of waterfowl and upland birds in my 8 year hunting career If anyone out there ever wants someone to tag along i would be extremely appreciative and would love to help u pack anything u get in exchange for your knowledge 26 years old now so id love to learn so i can one day pass it on!
cheers
pm me if you want more info

doubled
09-15-2011, 05:45 AM
It sounds like you already know what to do if you shot 4 deer, a moose, and a bear. You don't have much confidence right now from the sounds of it. This has been a tough start to the hutning year with this weather but the season has just started. Keep going out and you will get your bear.

604redneck
09-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Ya I know what I'm doing I'm just really fresh to the okanagan and am just trying to learn all the areas and how everything moves and where it moves too

diverob
09-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Hello
This being my first post on this forum, this advice may not hold a lot of credibility. But i can tell you i have been hunting for over thirty years and i was born and raised in Kelowna. This time of the year the best place to go for bear is up the small creeks in the Goudy rd area and the KVR area. The reason being is that this time of the year the bears are flocking to the orchards on the out skirts of the city for a easy meal, as well as they come down to Mission creek for the spawn. That being said i will share with you and i imagine all that are reading a little trick that works great for bear. But BE WARNED this trick can be risky so use at your own risk. It is against the LAW to bait bears in B.C however it is not illegal to where a cover scent while hunting. Go to Walmart,Canadian tire (free plug) and get a spray bottle do not use a old bottle that had something in it. Stop at the grocery store and buy about 4 cans of tuna in water and add to the spray bottle 1 cup of water and then drain the juice from the cans of tuna through a stainer into your spray bottle shake and spray on yourself to mask your scent. You will stink like heck of fish but you will smell oh so tasty to bears. Then walk the creekbeds until you see bear sign then hunker down and wait. Like i said before USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Good luck

Wrayzer
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
LMAO this gun be good....

Rev.
09-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey diverob, i think the issue with your little trick is that technically you have just become the bait. :lol:

diverob
09-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Hello Again
In regard to my last post as some may find it funny. It was not meant to be a joke.Thats why I said USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. it was meant to be a way to get a bear if you are really desperate and dont want to put in the time. Because this time of the year the smell of fish is a really strong attractant and it will cover your scent really well. If you dont want to smell like fish you can get some Anise oil, it works to but not quite as well. I also want to reiterate i dont condone covering yourself with any thing that attracts predators. So you can also try use a fox cover scent, Spray the fish mixture on a scent wick and hang it then use a predator call in the same areas, But i'm not sure on laws about hanging a scent wick when hunting bear thats why i suggested it as a cover scent. If anybody has better advice that would help bring better success in this area i'm all ears too and willing to learn as well. But using that trick i have never hunted a bear longer then 1 day. I guess i could give the same advice most people give Hang in there put in lots of leg work and be patient it will come.

.300WSMImpact!
09-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Hello
This being my first post on this forum, this advice may not hold a lot of credibility. But i can tell you i have been hunting for over thirty years and i was born and raised in Kelowna. This time of the year the best place to go for bear is up the small creeks in the Goudy rd area and the KVR area. The reason being is that this time of the year the bears are flocking to the orchards on the out skirts of the city for a easy meal, as well as they come down to Mission creek for the spawn. That being said i will share with you and i imagine all that are reading a little trick that works great for bear. But BE WARNED this trick can be risky so use at your own risk. It is against the LAW to bait bears in B.C however it is not illegal to where a cover scent while hunting. Go to Walmart,Canadian tire (free plug) and get a spray bottle do not use a old bottle that had something in it. Stop at the grocery store and buy about 4 cans of tuna in water and add to the spray bottle 1 cup of water and then drain the juice from the cans of tuna through a stainer into your spray bottle shake and spray on yourself to mask your scent. You will stink like heck of fish but you will smell oh so tasty to bears. Then walk the creekbeds until you see bear sign then hunker down and wait. Like i said before USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Good luck

and then bow hunt in griz area, I dont know if this would be legal, either way I wont try it. Pound the ground use your feet you will find bears any and everywhere this time of year, find the food sources

jonz
09-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Spraying yourself with tuna juice? Wow why didnt I think of that.

ruger#1
09-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Use those black jaw breakers to cover your breath scent. They have Anise in them. I used to make bear pellets for the Washinton state forestry. They would put bags of the pellets out so the bears would leave the seedlings alone. The pelets had anise powder in them. Also cane molassas.

frenchbar
09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
tuna fish!!!...bahahahaha. awesome :mrgreen:

ruger#1
09-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Just take Frenchbars old girlfreind with you Ha Ha.

frenchbar
09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
smelled more like crab ..hahahaha.... good one lol

s-dog
09-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Its getting better......food sources yes food..yum yums,apple pie smell.

finngun
09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
honey is really good to get bears attention remember winnie the pooh

open-sights
09-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Let me see if I get this right, first off you go buy a spray container, (giggle) then find a pile of cans of tuna in the cupboard,, right? so far am I on? (HAHA) Then spray the tuna oil all over yourself, (Holy shit is this for real? BAWHAHAHA) all to try to entice a black bear into shooting range? Man I could go on here but - that truley is the dumbest advice I have ever read on an internet forum, good on ya if it has worked for you, but man, I know you posted a warning with the advice but still, what happens when a Griz walks in? Why not save the stink of your cloths, skin and vehicle and just do what 95% of all bear hunters do, spot one from a road and shoot it? I am really not trying to fight about this cause I think there is fantastic comic value in your very first post! In fact i am pretty sure I have been in a bar in Old Crow that that very thing would prolly make you the most popular man in town.