PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Allocation Response

Fishhound
09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
After reading the BCWF September news letter I sent this letter to the Honourable Members of the federal governament.

Today, Randy Kamps office called my house and told me that my concerns were noted and that several meetings in the last couple of days did indeed have members of the BCWF present, and I was not alone in sending in letters of concern. The caller went on to say that meetings were ongoing including recent meetings in Alaska and Oregon.

I thanked the caller for the quick reponse to my letter although I can't remember his name. (my apolagies if you read this)

I was then asked what I thought was a possible solution, I told him that the idea that the DFO gives 88% of the halibut to the commercial fishermen and 12% to recreational fishermen, with the recreational fishermen being able to lease additional quota from the commercial allocation is all wrong and even the Supreme Court of Canada says so

I told him the split should be more even with the commercial fishermen leasing what is left of the recreational fishermens quota after the halibut season is closed, with the money going to some kind of fund to ensure halibut stocks.

Prime Minister and Honourable Members

After reading the British Columbia Wildlife Federation (BCWF) September newsletter, I find it very concerning that during the sping election the Prime Minister while appearing in the riding of North Vancouver Island stated that he was aware of and recognized the allocation problem.

The prime Minister even went as far as appointing Randy Kamp the Parlimentary Secratary for Fisheries to find a solution to this big issue. Since the election Mr. Kamp has only consulted the DFO and the commercial fiherman, completely ignoring members of the sports fishing community. Mr. Kamp has now announced small meetings with attendance by invitation only, While denying attendance to BCWF Region 1 President, Ted Brookman the opportunity to attend.

My questions to you are does this government not have any interest in following through with election promises, or does it not care what the citizens of British Columbia want?

Is it the intention of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and this goverment to continue to to give a few commercial fisherman 88% of all of the halibut, while the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that the DFO does not have the right to give the fish to anyone or anybody as they are the property of all Canadian citizens?

I lok forward to your response to this very important issue

Thank you,

Fishhound

Sitkaspruce
09-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Good on you for sending a letter in.

Here is some more info from those who atteneded a meeting with Mr Kemp.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?17068-Meeting-on-halibut-allocation-with-MP-Randy-Kamp-etc.

One thing to remember, we do not want the halbut closed until we either reach our (new) quota or Dec31, like it used to be. Giving the commercial guy any quota left over will eventually show that we would not use it and it might as well go back to the old ways.

Cheers

SS