PDA

View Full Version : what would you do.

gamehunter
09-14-2011, 04:59 PM
So I went out to my mothers little fame yesterday to see two big 2 points and 3 does in her barn yard she tells me thay have bin there for like 3 months and live in her empty barn i was able to get about 10-15 feet from them so I was wondering what you would do? Any buck time comes would you take one or leave them be. Its bin about 5 years sence I started hunting and still haven't taged a deer. What would you do?

silvertipp
09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
id tag one if i needed the meet but id hardly call that hunting

DMA1983
09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Some times you just get lucky. All experience is good experience, I'd get that buck and then buy another tag.

Big Lew
09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
First thing I'd do was check the regs and/or bylaws (don't know where your Mom lives) and then I'd ask for her opinion on garnering some venison....would it be ok, and would she like some.

ramron
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
sounds like an easy way to pop your cherry.

shadow1982
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Check the regs and bylaws like previously stated

In my opinion if she does not mind let her enjoy the beauty, if she minds depending on the bylaws get rid of them... As per you killing a deer, dont worry you will find one eventually

Gateholio
09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
They aren't going to live forever, you may as well shoot one if it in a legal zone. You would gain valuable butchering experience as well as have some nice meat. Not hunting, but nothing wrong with it.

buckshot
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
I would close the barn doors and keep them well fed for a coupla more years. Lots of quality minerals is important in antler development.

Darksith
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
take some pictures and post them for us, what is a big 2 point? I have seen some 2 points that are 4" thick at the base and 24" tall, I would take a 2 point like that. I say wait until its close to the end of any buck, if they are still there and you want some meat and haven't got anything yet then by all means, take 1 of them.

kgs
09-14-2011, 06:38 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yea i would tag the buck not really hunting but its a deer and it is hunting season......

Bow Walker
09-14-2011, 07:12 PM
So I went out to my mothers little fame yesterday to see two big 2 points and 3 does in her barn yard she tells me thay have bin there for like 3 months and live in her empty barn i was able to get about 10-15 feet from them so I was wondering what you would do? Any buck time comes would you take one or leave them be. Its bin about 5 years sence I started hunting and still haven't taged a deer. What would you do?
How much do you like venison on the BBQ? If you're hunting you must want to bring something home to eat. Right? Why else stomp the bushes with the intent to kill?!?

What would I do? I'd poke a hole in in the bucks and debone them for my freezer. Then I'd start thinking of ways to prepare the various feasts!

urbanhermit
09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
i would take the high road on this one, plus take along some wood patch in case you put a hole in the barn..

Phreddy
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd probably let it walk. We get a lot of deer on our property and so long as they don't attack the dogs they're just find. That, to me, is the difference between "Meat deer" and "Looking deer".

The Dude
09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I would close the barn doors and keep them well fed for a coupla more years. Lots of quality minerals is important in antler development.

We have a winner!!!! :D

But seriously folks, shagging an ugly chick is no way to pop your cherry.
Neither is shooting a little buck in a barn.

Salty
09-14-2011, 08:02 PM
i'd tell a joke it is your first post after all

moose2
09-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I would take a picture of them, and then I would head out for a walk. I would probably shoot one the same size 20 km from the truck and have to pack it for 6 hours ( not smart but it would feel like hunting ) I don't think the barn thing would do it for me.
Mike

steel_ram
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Ride around the barn a couple of times on your quad, bail out, shoot it . . . . your hunting.

urbanhermit
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Ride around the barn a couple of times on your quad, bail out, shoot it . . . . your hunting.

bwahahahhahahahahahhahaha

M.Dean
09-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Well Tim, if you look real close at them there Deer, your going to see how the top of them Deers Noses are real Shiny!!! That's from your poor old Mum, and all the Kid's from miles around feeding and petting these Deer as they get on the School Bus! So, I guess if you could get a clean shot, like no School Kid's petting them, or feeding them the fruit from there Lunches it'd be just fine to blow there faces off!!!

greenhorn
09-14-2011, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't do it. Just my personal opinion, if you're going to cut a tag it should probably be a fair chase.

The Hermit
09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Wait till the last day of the season and if you haven't filled your tag(s) in the back country, and assuming it is legal to shoot in the area - remember to ensure your are the minimum distance from a dwelling house and then take one. It will taste just fine!

Gun Dog
09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
It's not really hunting but it is an excellent chance to watch deer and PRACTICE BEING STEALTHY. Watch the wind and learn to sneak up on them.

RoscoeP
09-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I'd just let them be. I live in Comox and see deer everyday in my yard. The golf course I play at has, seems like hundreds. They are all used to people and don't have fear of people. I would not feel good about killing one. I respect others views on this but that is just me. I would rather go to a wild setting and hunt for one.

lorneparker1
09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Shoot em in the face

The Dude
09-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Shoot em in the face

Fail. Big time.

BCGameHunter
09-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Shoot em in the face

Hahahahaha nice

IslandHunterBXL
09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
bangflop x2

IslandHunterBXL
09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
or line em up and try and get two with one bullet? i have heard of that happening by mistake before

Casagrande
09-14-2011, 09:53 PM
It would be like that scene in Pulp Fiction when they we're cleaning up brain matter!

CanuckShooter
09-15-2011, 04:46 AM
They are like park deer, I'd hunt wild deer and leave them on the farm for viewing pleasure, just like home for me.

J_T
09-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Being a new hunter it might be there are factors you aren't considering. First, agree with most, is it legal? Another couple of questions I might have are, what happens after I pull the trigger? Will the noise alert neighbours? Will they be attracted to the excitement? Will they want to watch? What if it doesn't go down right away? Where will you take care of the animal after it's dead? Where will you dispose of the waste?

There's no harm in pulling a trigger, but 3000 fps later, it's a very different feeling and scenario.

Gateholio
09-15-2011, 07:05 AM
I wonder what the response would be if this was a spike/fork moose in an open area?

Westslope
09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Haha, you should change your HBC name from Gamehunter to "Pethunter"

gamehunter
09-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I was thinking about using a bow cuz of the distance I can get to them and I have talked to most of the neighbours and thay are ok with it and for the disposeing of the waste take it out to the bush for the other animals? But I was mainly wondering if it would be worth taking as a first deer?

09-15-2011, 08:58 AM
First plan out the thread you are going to post after you shoot it, Take great care for the humor of it and check your spelling. Make it sound like a great adventure! You know all the planning and mapping that goes into a trip like yours.
Then be sure to take a step by step photo journal of the entire event. Start a photo bucket account right now and get some practice posting pictures of the "Stage" that this evet will take place on!

Id do it for sure as long as it is legal. You would be defending your moms garden. BUT you need to have some fun with it

Phreddy
09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I wonder what the response would be if this was a spike/fork moose in an open area?

Probably about the same.

Glenny
09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
My feeling is that if you have to ask us that you might not feel so good about yourself if you shoot one. Especially if you "Shottem in the face"

Mikey Rafiki
09-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Probably about the same.

Not sure about that. A spike fork has a lot more meat, and you know it's not gonna be a trophy anyways. Plus, they can be pretty dumb and tame at times regardless of where they are. In a place like the koots where I haven't drawn a moose tag in a decade I would have a damn itchy trigger finger.

09-15-2011, 09:07 AM
I was thinking about using a bow cuz of the distance I can get to them and I have talked to most of the neighbours and thay are ok with it and for the disposeing of the waste take it out to the bush for the other animals? But I was mainly wondering if it would be worth taking as a first deer?

"Worth" taking as a first deer? that is your decision. It wont stick out in your mind as good as something else. But if you have been hunting for 5 years without shooting a deer maybe you need the help! Just ribbin' ya

moose2
09-15-2011, 09:22 AM
I have probably shot close to 90 big game animals in my 27 years of hunting , and one of my favorite memories is my first animal. It was a blacktail spike on the Island , you couldn't wipe the smile off my face it was a proud moment for me that I will always remember. It was no trophy in anyones book except mine. Had I shot him in a barn I don't think it would have felt the same to me. This is just my opinion.
Mike

TommyGuitar
09-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I also haven't got my chance at a first deer yet. I'd save the deer for later.

markt308
09-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Don't do it! Trust me friend, your first deer is a very special experience. you have waited patiently, it will pay off. put your time in this year and if you aren't too picky on horn size you will get one and it will be way more satisfying than shooting the barn yard buck! good luck! ps take some pics of those barn deer and share them on HBC! i'd love to see them.

Darksith
09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
what is hunting? Its about getting out there, enjoying the wilderness, spending time with friends, and putting meat in your freezer for the long cold months ahead. So fill all of the criteria by getting out there, enjoying the wilderness, spend some time with friends and if on the last day or 2 you haven't satisfied the final reason for hunting and the deer are still hanging in the barn then by all means put some dang meat in your freezer. Don't listen to all these other guys, first deer is something special blah blah maybe for some people, but my first deer was a tiny spike whitey and in fact I have a necklace made from one of the spikes but its nothing special for me, was just meat in the freezer. Decide what you want to do, as long as its legal there is no right or wrong, just a personal choice and no one should judge anyone for taking a meat buck on opening day or the last day no matter where you find it.

moose2
09-15-2011, 12:37 PM
what is hunting? Its about getting out there, enjoying the wilderness, spending time with friends, and putting meat in your freezer for the long cold months ahead. So fill all of the criteria by getting out there, enjoying the wilderness, spend some time with friends and if on the last day or 2 you haven't satisfied the final reason for hunting and the deer are still hanging in the barn then by all means put some dang meat in your freezer. Don't listen to all these other guys, first deer is something special blah blah maybe for some people, but my first deer was a tiny spike whitey and in fact I have a necklace made from one of the spikes but its nothing special for me, was just meat in the freezer. Decide what you want to do, as long as its legal there is no right or wrong, just a personal choice and no one should judge anyone for taking a meat buck on opening day or the last day no matter where you find it.

Its a good thing your first animal was not a 55" bull moose. That would be one heavy necklace lol. The fact that your telling us that you made a necklace out of it tells me , you were somewhat proud of what you got. I bet you haven't made another one since that first buck.
Mike

Springer
09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Being a new hunter it might be there are factors you aren't considering. First, agree with most, is it legal? Another couple of questions I might have are, what happens after I pull the trigger? Will the noise alert neighbours? Will they be attracted to the excitement? Will they want to watch? What if it doesn't go down right away? Where will you take care of the animal after it's dead? Where will you dispose of the waste?

There's no harm in pulling a trigger, but 3000 fps later, it's a very different feeling and scenario.

Well spoken, i had the same thoughts. Once you pull the trigger or release an arrow how are you going to feel about it and deal with it. In life we learn by doing and mistakes. Sometimes the outcome is what you expected sometimes not. My last decision was on a Bull Elk calf. There was no antler and i cant remember the last time i shot an antlerless animal, but let me tell you it sure is more enjoyable eating than the last 6 point Bull i shot.
Good luck on your decision...

curt
09-15-2011, 02:15 PM
I'd leave them myself but thats just me thats like shooting a deer at the game farm no challenge and hardly hunting if you have starving kids to feed then its a different story!!

J_T
09-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I was thinking about using a bow cuz of the distance I can get to them and I have talked to most of the neighbours and thay are ok with it and for the disposeing of the waste take it out to the bush for the other animals? But I was mainly wondering if it would be worth taking as a first deer? If you do decide to take one, I wouldn't write about it on here or post a pic. Chalk it up to experience. I'm not saying it can't be a good memory, but there's a risk posting the aftermath on here.

urbanhermit
09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
well if it's really that tame and you think you can get away with it with no one seeing, go ahead and poke it, if it comes back the next day go ahead and shoot it or arrow it.
all kidding aside the choice is yours and the only person that can decide if its right or wrong for you, is you.

Singleshotneeded
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Take one and then concentrate your hunting time on the other sub-species...it sounds like it's a muley so that
frees you up to go after whitetails. Go where there's plenty of them and you will land one.

buckshot
09-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Don't do it! Trust me friend, your first deer is a very special experience. you have waited patiently, it will pay off. put your time in this year and if you aren't too picky on horn size you will get one and it will be way more satisfying than shooting the barn yard buck! good luck! ps take some pics of those barn deer and share them on HBC! i'd love to see them.
Yeah, it would like loosing your viginity with a hooker, fun at first but you quickly wish you did,nt.

gamehunter
09-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Ya the next time I go out there I will take some pics and post them up for you guys

Bruce
09-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Sounds like you have pets....lol
Perhaps put a leash on them?:-D

MB_Boy
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM

If I needed meat that badly.....I'd shoot the cow, pig or some lambs on Momma's farm before a deer I can walk right up to or in theory shoot "inside" if it IS living IN the barn. :wink:

As others have said; your first deer is something you'll remember. I recall mine although it was a spike I had been hunting for a few years before I even had a shot and I stalked this one all on my own. I'll never forget the look on my Dad's face when I met up with him later in the morning and tossed an empty shell at him.

If the "hunt" consists of standing there in your pajamas, gum boots and a parka with a hot coffee on the fence post beside you, the sweet smell of bounce sheets coming from the dryer vent teasing your nostrils as you are staring down a buck at 10 feet while he walks out of a barn for his morning crap, with your Momma on the back porch telling you which one to shoot; I don't know that it's gonna be that special to tell your kids as your "first". :wink::p

ELK Seeker
09-22-2011, 12:10 PM
To me it would all depend on:
- The regulations for that area
-How mature the deer are
-How bad I want deer meat

Grousedaddy
09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Haha, you should change your HBC name from Gamehunter to "Pethunter"

Hahahahahaa best comment in this thread hahahaha

new hunter
09-22-2011, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't want to tag out like that , and I still haven't got my first deer .

Wood butcher
09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Even up the deers odds, I say takem down with one of those big ass Rambo knives. Wait for him in the rafters and when he comes home it's death from above! Mano a Mano and may the best man win.
That would be a first buck story worth telling :-D

If you take one all it will be is a meat harvest, nothing more.

bad ducker
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM

shoot ............

steel_ram
09-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Shoot them. Load them up in the truck and take them to a "hunting" spot for a more realistic photo. Post photo's here, with some BS story, then enjoy three pages of atta' boys and "those deer looks tasty" right here on HBC.

sawmill
09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Shoot them. Load them up in the truck and take them to a "hunting" spot for a more realistic photo. Post photo's here, with some BS story, then enjoy three pages of atta' boys and "those deer looks tasty" right here on HBC.

Hee Hee Hee!Best answer yet.:mrgreen:

fowlweather
09-22-2011, 07:24 PM
what are you waiting for, jeez shoot it

Murder
09-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Holy jeezus. I just about pissed myself.......bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Murder
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Seriously though, if you need the meat and want some experience butchering/gutting/skinning etc. If it's all legal, why not? I don't believe there will be the satisfaction involved with working for, and outsmarting your quarry. I always have such a rush after a successful stalk and kill. I am soothankful for the animal. It is somewhat of a spiritual experience. To each their own. Cheers

Mike

Gateholio
09-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah, your first deer is "special"

So get it the way most hunters do. Drive down a road, spot a spiker beside the ditch, jump out and blast it with a 300 Magnum using 180grain bullets! Quality hunting experience! :mrgreen:

Look, it's up to you. If you want some MEAT, then go for it. I know of quite a few farmers that watch deer in their fields, eating their crops all summer, then when September comes, step onto the porch and BOOM! Heck, they fed it all summer, may as well get some meat out of the deal! :-D

The Dude
09-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Is this thread still going?
Seriously?
WTF?

Salty
09-22-2011, 07:55 PM
the true meaning is near my son

The Dude
09-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Haven't done much trolling lately, I guess I'm out of practice. :-(

Fishhound
09-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't think that you will get the sense of pride and accomplishment your really looking for in taking your first deer in a farmyard, IMO

huntwriter
09-22-2011, 11:58 PM

Shoot the buck.

MB_Boy
09-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah, your first deer is "special"

So get it the way most hunters do. Drive down a road, spot a spiker beside the ditch, jump out and blast it with a 300 Magnum using 180grain bullets! Quality hunting experience! :mrgreen:

Haha.......there ARE exceptions to the rule!

I remember everything about my first buck and it was far from any road; my second one 3 days later was a 5x5 which was pretty cool compared to the spike I got first but it is still a good memory for me. :wink:

game/Pethunter..........fawk it...........blast the crap out of it; just drag it away from the barn, tractor and riding lawnmower and make sure there aren't any chicken in your "field pics". Be sure to get camo'd up for the pics too. :-D :mrgreen:

JAFA
09-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Get yourself a7" fillet knife, hide up in the rafters... really quietly. When the deer come in soundlessly drop on him ... you know like a ninja and kill it with your knife. Don't care what anybody says, that would be hunting in my book.

Set up a camera if you take this route, I would love to see this.

LOL :mrgreen:

If you need the meat shoot it. Then go hunting later.

Jim.