PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna fire aftermath

ratherbefishin
09-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Has anyone observed the effect of the Kelowna Fire in terms of new growth,grass, browse all of which should have a positive effect on creating abundant food source for deer,elk,sheep,moose, etc.Has anyone observed any increase in the populations in those areas?

GoatGuy
09-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Has anyone observed the effect of the Kelowna Fire in terms of new growth,grass, browse all of which should have a positive effect on creating abundant food source for deer,elk,sheep,moose, etc.Has anyone observed any increase in the populations in those areas?

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

There was fresh veg coming up as early as december the year of the fire. Makes great veg and some great winter range - has also opened up some fine sheep habitat. Now all we need is a couple more sheep. Easy winters are also helping.

300H&H
09-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Yup !!!
On monday I saw my biggest black bear ever while out on the quad with my oldest daughter. She spotted it first. My neighbour shot his biggest mule deer last year . This year is looking even better. All of this within 10 mins. of my house. Very near the fire ( the fire fighters stopped the fire 75 yards from my home). The fire fighters did a awsome job. So Ive heard of lots of bigger deer / elk / moose so lets hope for some meat for the winter. Good luck everyone !!

marcus44
09-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah I agree the areas affected by the fires are turning into some beautiful hunting areas, abundant with wildlife.

Walksalot
09-11-2006, 06:08 PM
The PH of the soil in the Okanagan doesn't bode well for wildlife. The place to go is Merritt where the PH of the soil produces some increadible trophy animals. The same can be said about anything north of Kamloops.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Hit the burn on the weekend looking for the "elusive" 6 pt bull elk:roll: . Pretty toasted up there. I'm sure the burn is very important earlier in the season when it's still lush but during dry summers, like the one that just passed, there is not much cover to escape the heat. Yes, there are pockets of unburnt timber but they're not that big. A person might have more success hunting the perimeter of the burn where the animals can find refuge from the hot, dry conditions. The animals are still there, but not in great numbers. If we had a summer more like last year's, there may be more animals hanging out and getting fat........

Just my opinion.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
09-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Hit the burn on the weekend looking for the "elusive" 6 pt bull elk:roll: . Pretty toasted up there. I'm sure the burn is very important earlier in the season when it's still lush but during dry summers, like the one that just passed, there is not much cover to escape the heat. Yes, there are pockets of unburnt timber but they're not that big. A person might have more success hunting the perimeter of the burn where the animals can find refuge from the hot, dry conditions. The animals are still there, but not in great numbers. If we had a summer more like last year's, there may be more animals hanging out and getting fat........

Just my opinion.

SSS

Did ya get yer butt off the Enduro? :smile:

SSS is right, the burn is really dry this year. I went for an afternoon drive on Sunday up Myra and it's like driving through talcum powder in some spots. The grass is all dead and the leaves are shrivelled on the willows. We need a week or two of rain. Even then, the soils in the burn don't hydrate very well, and the water tends to run off quickly. A REAL winter this year, and a soggy spring/summer would help out a lot.

GoatGuy
09-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Did ya get yer butt off the Enduro? :smile:

SSS is right, the burn is really dry this year. I went for an afternoon drive on Sunday up Myra and it's like driving through talcum powder in some spots. The grass is all dead and the leaves are shrivelled on the willows. We need a week or two of rain. Even then, the soils in the burn don't hydrate very well, and the water tends to run off quickly. A REAL winter this year, and a soggy spring/summer would help out a lot.

He sure did get off the enduro - it was so hot my heels felt like they caught fire. Hoping for rain.........................................

Fisher-Dude
09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
He sure did get off the enduro - it was so hot my heels felt like they caught fire. Hoping for rain.........................................

And I imagine you were wearing the standard cowboy boots? :biggrin:

GoatGuy
09-12-2006, 09:11 PM
And I imagine you were wearing the standard cowboy boots? :biggrin:

I wish - they probably would have been quieter. They're killers!!!!!!8-) Think I'll wear them for the moose hunt though.

I wore new boots-definitely not a good idea.