PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Elk Season Off to a Great Start!

gbear
09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
So far this season, the elk gods have been good to our group. Not too often it happens, so a person has to take it when it comes. I’ll start off by saying that we enjoy elk meat so much, I don’t hold out when hunting elk, and typically take the first legal one that I can. My partners are the same. Especially this year, because I only had 7 packs of meat left after my parents left here after an unsuccessful early moose season. I sent them home with all the carryover meat, so the pressure was going to be on.

This year has been a busy summer, and we hadn't had time to scout around at all. Labour Day Monday the 5th came along. My partner and his wife were camping, so I figured I would go out for a short morning hunt. My plan was to walk down into the sweet spot we knew about and see what was moving and going on down there. It was good 2 years ago, but last year, there was a well site being drilled close by, so the area was almost void of elk. My thought was after a good morning hike, I would unload my rhino, and drive a bunch of roads and seismic lines to see where the elk were moving. I figured it would be more of a scouting mission, and use that knowledge in planning future mornings once my partner and his wife were back.

So, I woke up a few minutes late and high tailed it there. Got there a bit late, and started walking right away. As it got lighter in the forest, I started to bugle and cow call. As I am walking to my destination, I can see a number of well worn trails with lots of elk sign. It's looking good. I also notice that there is no drilling noise in the air. Another good sign. I keep walking slowly down this ridge, still calling. But, hear no response.

At about 6:30, I hit the flats, or at least more gentle slopes at the bottom and decide to stop for a bit. I like this spot because I am where I called in a nice bull before, and it's a nice open mature aspen stand. I decide to bugle again, and all of a sudden 3 bulls lite up. I'm thinking cool, each one is in a different direction, and it's difficult to decide which one is closer.

I wait a few minutes and bugle again. Again, all 3 bulls respond, and all of them are closer. I'm starting to get more excited, and think to myself, what should I do. I bugle again, and we go back and forth a few more times. They are getting closer.

Finally, I decide to take my pack off and put it by the tree, and mark a waypoint on my GPS and stick it in my jacket. I decide to myself that the bull directly below me is the closest. The wind direction is also the best for him. So, I decide to make a bit of a move heading towards him because he seems to have hung up a bit, plus I don’t have a good view or a good shooting lane looking in that direction.

I make about 40 yards towards him, and bugle. All 3 bulls lite up again, but now, the bull that was coming down from the top is definitely the closest. I turn around, and can’t see up there very clear anymore, so I make my way back to the tree where my pack is. From here, I have a great view up the hill. In fact, I can see about 150 yards through the open aspen. The only problem I have is the wind direction is in the elks favour. But he’s coming in quick. I bugle again, and he cuts me off half way through my bugle. The other 2 also answer, but this one guy is fired up. I wait a minute or so, and bugle again. He cuts me off again. I wait, and he bugles again, so this time I cut him off. As I am closing of my bugle, he bugles again right away cutting me off.

Now I can hear him breaking branches and stuff. I’m looking and looking, and I see him coming down the hill at an angle. The vegetation this year is very tall, and I can mostly just see the top bit of his body, and his neck and head. I look through the binos, and count 5 points on one side. He’s legal (only has to have 3 points in the Peace).

The bull stops at a small aspen and bugles and starts raking his antlers on it. I put the gun up and feel steady. The only problem was I don’t have a great shot. I put the gun down, and think about the situation. I am pretty sure I can get him to come closer, but the wind is wrong, and I become worried that once he hits the flats, the wind would be directly to him. Right now he is up a pretty steep hill from me, and doesn’t have my scent yet. Also, the vegetation is taller on the flats. So, I put the gun up again, resting against my tree, and it’s steady again. I have the cross hairs on his neck. I decide to take the safety off and I am still steady. He bugles again and when he holds still, I squeeze the trigger, and down he goes.

I can’t believe it, it’s just around 7:30am on my first morning out, and my elk is down! I guess you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. He’s not a big one, but he’ll be lots of good eats. He’s a 5x4. Because I was alone, not much good pictures. Lots of work by yourself I tell you. I had to pack him out a ways to where I knew I could get my rhino, so when I got to him, I gutted, skinned and quartered him and placed the meat on a bed sheet. As I was working on this elk, one of the other bulls was still bugling hard below me. I ignore him for the most part, but after several bugles, I decide to pick up my bugle and answer him a couple times. About 10 minutes later, I see him through the trees below me. If someone else was with me, we could have got him also. Then I hiked back to my truck, unloaded my rhino and grabbed my pack frame. Made my way down as close as I could and then started packing out the meat. Got it loaded on the rhino and up I go. I was surprised, I was back to the truck just after 11am. Then home, and he was in my cooler by 12:30.

What a morning!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0444_640x480_.JPG

gbear
09-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Part 2
So my partner and his wife were really surprised with the early elk. We all had to go back to work on the Tuesday, but Thursday seemed like a morning all of us could take off, so we decided to go back to the same spot.

Morning starts off the same. We start walking down to the sweet spot, calling as we go. They aren’t good at bugling, so I am doing all the calling, and I feel weird being out without a gun in my hand. But the idea is if we get some responses to set up my partner’s wife to try and get her first elk.

Just like a few days before, there are no responses. We hit the flats again. There are a bunch of crows on my gut pile still, so we move a few hundred meters down. I continue to bugle once in awhile, and then, off in the distance, we hear a faint bugle. Actually, I didn’t hear it but both partners did. I look at my watch, and it’s 6:30, just like a few days ago when I got mine. I wait a bit, and bugle again. This time when he responds, I can hear him. My partner’s wife turns to me and asks if I think he will come that far to us. I said I don’t know for sure, but let’s give him some time and see what he does. If he doesn’t come in, we’ll go after him.

The back and forth bugling continues for awhile, and he is definitely getting closer. I decide that he is coming in for sure. So, we set up my partners wife and he and I move back a bit. I continue to bugle back and forth with the bull, and my partner throws in the odd cow call. He’s getting close now, and I can tell he is on the other side of this big gully. The next time he calls, he sounds further away, and I whisper that he is now in the gully, and be ready. Things are now happening fast.

Unfortunately, the gully is pretty deep and steep, and that seemed to make the bull change his direction a bit, because when he crested our side of the gully, he was no below us a bit, and no longer headed in front of our shooter. Then I can see my partner’s wife frantically pointing, and raising her gun. I now realize that she sees the bull, but has a large bushy spruce tree between her and the bull. And, that is about all that is between them. The bull is probably only 25 yards from her, but she has no shot. And she doesn’t risk a bad shot (good on her). The bull doesn’t know she is there, and keeps coming towards me, and is now past her. I’m hoping he clears for her, but he doesn’t, and now he is below my partner and I in the open. The shooter still has no shot. I look quickly at the antlers and whisper that he is legal.

She points to her husband to take the shot before he busts us. So, he does. The bull doesn’t show any indication of being hit, and runs by us, while I am saying take another shot. Nobody does, and he tips over about 40 yards away. Wow, did that just happen? My partner’s wife is just vibrating as she has never had an elk come in like that before, and has actually never seen a bull before. It was so cool to see. Even though she didn’t get a shot in, she was so excited!

I look at my watch, and its 1 minute later then when I shot my elk a few days ago. I can’t believe our luck. My second morning out, and I’ve called another bull out that was harvested.

This elk was much easier to bring out. We gutted him, and then decided that my partner would go hike back to the truck, and get his ranger, while his wife and I skinned and quartered him. My partner had a few trees to cut out of the way, but was able to bring his ranger right to the elk. By the time he did that, the 2 of us had it all processed and ready to be loaded. We were back at the truck loaded to head for my cooler by 9:30, and I was back to work by 11. I tell you, it’s way easier to do the job with more people.

Now, we are on the hunt to put her in front of another bull. I sure hope I am able to bring one in front of her again. It would be great to see her harvest her first elk.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/CIMG0393_640x480_.JPG

Caveman
09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Awesome! Sound exciting! Can't wait until this weekend! Nice job gbear!

Call of the Wild
09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Wow amazing story!!! I wish you the best to get her an elk. That gets me pumped for elk season.

pappy
09-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Nice work, I can't wait for the upcoming weekend.

beni
09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the great story!

Getting pumped up for a chance to go chase some bulls around :D

slednecksbrown
09-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Great hunt! Great story!

springpin
09-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow! Nice work

pescado
09-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Good story. Nothing like hunting Elk when you get them talking. Well done.

The Dude
09-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Great story, well written, and you had punctuation and paragraph breaks! What a treat!
Congrats on a great hunt and a great family/friend experience. :-)

6 K
09-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Perfect!
Gotta love it when that happens.
I hope the lady gets her bull too.

Freshtracks
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Gbear ... another fantastic read ... man I'm exhausted reliving all these hunts. :D Congrats on 2 fine bulls. Living the dream. ;)

Bear Chaser
09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Geez if I didn't know better I'd say your hunting partner is a bit of a turkey for CAMPING during elk season.:mrgreen:
He probably skips hunting for karate too!!

BTW his wife is probably one of the nicest ladies I know. Hope you guys can pin one down for her.

Kalum
09-14-2011, 06:32 AM
awsome, great write up and congrats to you both. I'm totally pumped. Don't shoot them all though eh? We're headed for elk country this Saturday!

moose2
09-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Great stories and great animals
Mike

Mikey Rafiki
09-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Well Done! It's awesome when you are just looking for meat and you end up with a really nice animal.

4 point
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I have to get at the elk hunting at some point. Sounds very exciting when they come in like they do.

ydouask
09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Enjoyed your story and envy your meat supply. But, seems like you left out a bunch of stuff like, cliffs, swamps , acres of windfall, maurading varmints, horse rodeo, mechanical breakdowns, lost equipment, bug invasions, earthquakes.... way too easy when you're dialed in, eh?

gbear
09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Geez if I didn't know better I'd say your hunting partner is a bit of a turkey for CAMPING during elk season.:mrgreen:
He probably skips hunting for karate too!!

BTW his wife is probably one of the nicest ladies I know. Hope you guys can pin one down for her.

You know it, but, the Karate isn't as bad as the Nascar. Although good thing he had his testing before elk season.

The camping was his wife's idea, but you are right, she is one of the nicest ladies. I sure hope we can get her infront of one. I'll never forget how excited she was with that bull coming in like that. priceless