PDA

View Full Version : Very new to deer hunting

Grousedaddy
09-13-2011, 05:31 PM
As the title states im very new to deer hunting, i have no friends or family that hunts deer so i have to learn myself (not that i mind) so with that being said i would love any and all information you guys are willing to share. Im in kamloops region 3 have hunted lots of grouse but it time i get myself a deer. I do not bow hunt btw i use my .270 lol as im very new to this thanks guys hope to get lots of info on this great site

Mr. Dean
09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Where you find grouse, you'll usually find deer. :wink:

BlackwaterMerc
09-13-2011, 06:04 PM
East Shuswap rd head east out of town just a bit, north of the river, I have seen a little of everything up there, you got some great spots around there.

Steeleco
09-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Get yourself this DVD http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/39836-1.html or spend some time on youtube on how to handle an animal once it's down. I'd suggest you find a butcher before you try to hunt deer, go talk with them and explain what you just told us. See what the rates are and how they like their animals delivered. If you do it ASAP they may not be that busy and will have more time for you.

If you want a list of places to go send me an e-mail to steeleco@gmail.com and I'll fwd you the list I have.

Good luck.

Redbird
09-13-2011, 07:51 PM
If you are young and have a strong back, you should find someone older to hunt with. You can learn invaluable lessons from the old guy who has a lifetime of skills and know-how in hunting for the simple exchange of helping pack the meat out.

Caveman
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Grousedaddy, I can point you in the right direction, in fact several of the spots you've been grouse hunting are prime deer habitat. Let's get together and I'll give some pointers. I won't say I fit the description above just yet but I feel like I'm approaching it some days. There are good deer areas in all directions from Kamloops, you just need to get to know them a bit. :wink:

Jelvis
09-13-2011, 09:46 PM
You might have to look in the bush beside the road as you drive for grouse. Grouse are on the road and deer are in the bush usually.
Einstein once said, look deep into the forest then you know how and where the deer are.
Jel .. How long you bin in the Loopy Town? Kamloops that iz. lol. how old are ye?

Grousedaddy
09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks alot for all the great information guys i have tons to learn and will enjoy learning it all. Hands on is always the best way to learn if you know an olde hunter but i do not......

Caveman
09-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks alot for all the great information guys i have tons to learn and will enjoy learning it all. Hands on is always the best way to learn if you know an olde hunter but i do not......

PM sent!
Get back to me