PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for some good day hunting areas around the mainland

Hoser767
09-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I am new to hunting, just my second year. Was trying to hunt in Skagit Valley last year but didn't see anything. Anyone have any ideas where to go for day trips? I was thinking Cash Creek or the Penticon area but I don't know those to well.

09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Get out there and learn'em!
I cant help with "The Where" but i can try to motivate you!

sparkes3
09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
the first thing you need is a backroads mapbook then pick a area with good access then get out and burn some gas to get into that area and then put some miles on your boots to find the deer .

Mr. Dean
09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Wow, how time fly's......

In the summer of 2006, I started scouting the Coq's hills for deer; they are there.
I ended up killing this one late in October of the same year, less than 1.5 hrs drive from my home in Langley.

It ain't B&C but none-the-less, respectable imo.
Hopefully it'll motivates ya. :wink: :wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0009_edited-21.JPG

Steeleco
09-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Mr.Dean is right, there are tone of places to hunt within 2 hours of the LML There's not just a few trails up near Hemlock village, Harrison west and east, Skagit (get up high off the road) Chilliwack river (hunt same as the Skagit) Head north to Squamish or a little further to Pemberton. As you can see there are lots of opportunity, sure none of them are going to be easy, but they're all worth a look see. As suggested a back country map book and a good look on Google earth will give you a good place to start. Don't bounce from spot to spot, pick a spot learn it, learn to read the sign and animal clues. When you've got that one figured out any other new spots will come easier. You'll know pretty quick which ones are worth the effort and which ones to let alone.

Good luck.

huntwriter
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Like everyone said there are lots of places with good to excellent deer populations. For a day trip anywhere along the Cquihalla up Merritt way is good. But as others have said, learn as much as you can about the animal you want to hunt. Then learn about the land and how deer utilize that land. The best way to do that is just by going out and observing wildlife, by all means take your gun along in case a deer happens to show but give priority to just observing and learning. Send me a PM and if agreeable I will take you along on a scouting trip and provide you with some tips and insight on what to look for.

Hoser767
09-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Thats a Beautiful European mount, where did you get it done?

Hoser767
09-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Like everyone said there are lots of places with good to excellent deer populations. For a day trip anywhere along the Cquihalla up Merritt way is good. But as others have said, learn as much as you can about the animal you want to hunt. Then learn about the land and how deer utilize that land. The best way to do that is just by going out and observing wildlife, by all means take your gun along in case a deer happens to show but give priority to just observing and learning. Send me a PM and if agreeable I will take you along on a scouting trip and provide you with some tips and insight on what to look for.

Yeah I'll deffently need to work on my scouting skills, Next friday I am heading to the Skagit valley again to see what I can find. But thanks for all the tips

sparkes3
09-16-2011, 05:18 PM
go a little further than skagit,not sayin that there are no deer up skagit but!

ravensfoot
09-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Skagit has alot of local traffic and not a whole lot of areas to get away from it all. Coqihalla, try the Murray Lake area in the alpines. Cache Creek - Go up above the waste transfer station, there are a good number of deer up there, just get out of your truck and put some time on your boots. The Deer come down in the evenings there. Also good areas in behind Mclease Lake. Good Luck!

ruger#1
09-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Go past Spence's Bridge and find the road to Blue Earth Lake 27 kms in off of the hi way. Deer, sheep, moose and lots of bears and grouse, And the lake isn't that bad for fishing.

bosca
09-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Depends on the kind of hunting you enjoy. If you are like me and like to spot and stock then your choice of the Penticton or Cache Creek area are good ones. Find some open grass/sage lands with a good amount of varied terrain, walk up to the tree line at the crack of dawn and glass the vegetation transition areas below...Ie., draws, patches of timber etc. You will learn with experience where to focus your time. Its always best early as most deer have already made it to their bedding areas later in the morning.
My suggestion is to spend time with someone that has hunted for many years. There is a lot to learn about after the kill also. Exploring and observing is half the fun get out and put some miles on those boots.

Good luck!