PDA

View Full Version : making to much noise in the bush

brig
09-13-2011, 06:58 AM
So here's my problem, I love to get off the beaten path when I go hunting and I try to find spots to sit or hike that are a little ways off the road, now my problem is say I'm trying to get to a certain ridge to look over a cutblock that I want to hunt but getting up there I have a very hard time being really quiet because the ground is so dry and crispy. Now by me walking up to this ridge making a certain amount of noise am I liable to be scaring all the deer out of the area I want to hunt? I don't want to hunt out of my truck but it just seems like its so hard to be quiet enough walking through the bush to not scare the deer away. So I'm just curious what you guys do to not spook the deer your trying to find. And lets say I do spook a few deer out of a cut, am I then screwed for the morning in that cut or would they likely come back if I was quiet for an hour or two just sitting. I'm just asking because I know I spooked a good buck on my way into a spot the other day and its happened before too.

kenadiens
09-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Get in well before first light and let everyhing settle down and be super quiet. My last 2 trips to my spot, the hike was noisier than I could stand but when day light hit the deer were there.

doubled
09-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Animals make noise when they walk so they are used to a certain amount. Move as slow as possible, glass continously and once you reach your preferred destination, sit and listen to the noises of the forest. I like to walk near creeks as there is enough noise to mask yours. Also, when it is windy is good to walk too.

lovemywinchester
09-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Its loud out there for sure. This weekend I was sitting on the edge of a meadow hiding in the trees and there were a few cows at the far end. They were easily 250-300 yards away and the breeze died down. I could hear every step they took in the grass. It sounded like they were right next to me. The odds of sneaking up on a deer are pretty slim I think. Get in early and get comfy and wait. Same for dusk, get in an hour before dusk and wait. I have heard if you put some wool socks over your boots it can help deaden the sound. Good luck.

Wrayzer
09-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Kind of happened to us this past weekend, was dry and crunchy walk in, sat down just below the top of a ridgeline, buddy goes up to have a peak over, I stay because I thought it would be useless with all the crunching and noise. he pops over the ridge and spots a Bull Elk, 7 cows and 5 White tails all grazing a few hundred yards away without a care he was up there. He got a shot off at the Bull, but thats another story.

Walk slowly, if you do create a large crack or snap, pause for a couple minutes, if the game has been spooked a bit give them time to relax before continuing.

Doe
09-13-2011, 07:51 AM
You couldn't sneak up on a dead deer in this weather....same everywhere right now, but we are forcasted for some rain this coming weekend. Hope it helps some.

BearStump
09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
give yourself lots of time, leave early and walk really slow taking lots of breaks. Keep in mind that no animals in the woods walk quickly and non-stop. They all meander and stop to listen every little while. so if you can mimic this type of walking noise you are golden. When its dry and crunchy the deer make more noise when they walk too.

Big Lew
09-13-2011, 09:18 AM
give yourself lots of time, leave early and walk really slow taking lots of breaks. Keep in mind that no animals in the woods walk quickly and non-stop. They all meander and stop to listen every little while. so if you can mimic this type of walking noise you are golden. When its dry and crunchy the deer make more noise when they walk too.

The way to do it. When early bow hunting, it's generally hot and dry, so I've got the same situation as I spot and stalk or still hunt....I greatly reduce the foot-related noise by wearing 2 boot felt liners on each foot(one inside the other) cut down to just above the ankle, and then taped tight to the leg, and then a couple of brown wool work socks pulled over the set-up.....with this I can walk as quietly as a pussy-footing bear.

madrona sh
09-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Hot dry weather I wear a moccasin slipper to get to my spot and wait for sun up.Then I here THEM comming.

jessonml
09-13-2011, 09:31 AM
I find the most effective way to sneak up on deer with the crunchy ground is to plan your stalk so that you are using the landscape to your advantage. Use ridges to block your sound. Sneak way down a ridge then come up at the most effective sound deadening angle that the wind will allow for.

Whonnock Boy
09-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Pretend you are an Elk or Moose. They make lots of noise too. Take your time and throw in the occasional cow call. Hopefully if you do it right, a bull Elk or Moose will come to you, and the deer will think you are one of their big cousins.

09-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Pretend you are an Elk or Moose. They make lots of noise too. Take your time and throw in the occasional cow call. Hopefully if you do it right, a bull Elk or Moose will come to you, and the deer will think you are one of their big cousins.

yep, every now and again give out a litle bleet from a call of whatever you are hunting fore.

brig
09-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I think I might have to try the wool socks or felt over the boots. I already try to sneak in from the best side to keep the noise down where I am hoping to see something i just hate it when I feel like I'm making a racket. A little rain would sure help too.

Singleshotneeded
09-13-2011, 11:04 AM
The indians and pioneer hunters used to wear moccasins when they were hunting, and that way you can
feel a twig if you're walking carefully before you put your weight on it. I got a pair from Cabelas without
the extra sole, just all leather, and they're very quiet. I've worn them when sneaking up to a ridge top to
see what's on the other side...but I wouldn't recommend them for long hikes.

Stumpy
09-13-2011, 11:59 AM
When it is really noisy like this I tend to drive a little faster so that the roar of the truck sneaks up on them and oil everything well to avoid any squeaks. Right now due to the moon phase I drive for a half hour in the morning really fast because they go to bed real early and this way I can cover the most ground. The new diesel pickups are quiter than most people give them credit for.

Big Lew
09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
I think I might have to try the wool socks or felt over the boots. I already try to sneak in from the best side to keep the noise down where I am hoping to see something i just hate it when I feel like I'm making a racket. A little rain would sure help too.

To be the most effective, don't wear the boots, just normal socks, and then the felt moccasins and wool sock combo. I tape the top part of the felt (above the ankle) fairly tight with electricians tape to keep everything in place when on steep terrain. (just remember, be careful going down steep grades)

pmj
09-13-2011, 02:27 PM
As already said, my first choice is to be there well before first light. Staying quiet is slow and tedious. By putting my foot down with weight on the outside of my foot when it contacts the ground and rolling it outside to inside instead of heel to toe is quieter (but really slow travelling).

I have found that imitating the natural sounds made by deer helps to sneak up on them. If I am sneaking into an area where I think a buck is waiting, I carry a deer bleet and an antler in hand. Move like a deer, taking 4 or 5 steps, stopping, snap a twig once in a while. Scrape the antler on a branch.

I once spooked a buck that was with a doe. I heard the snort, I hit the ground behind a log, blew a fawn bleet. Scraped the antler on a branch. I peeked over the log and saw a doe coming towards me in response to the bleet from bush 30 yards away. I could hear the loud stomping of the buck circling away. As I scraped and blew the bleet I could hear the buck turning and coming back. The doe was coming down on me so I had to stop bleeting. Everything went quiet. The doe retreated into the bush. I tried to scan the thick bush with my binocs. After about 10 minutes I gave up. I stood to throw on my day pack and the */"%!! buck was right there again behind the brush. Snort again and I could feel the ground shake as he stomped off...