PDA

View Full Version : Achilles tear... hunting season done?

Ltbullken
09-13-2011, 05:22 AM
So here I ponder what may be of my hunting season. I tore my achilles in April and am just getting around decently now but still have a long ways to go (physio well under way) to be able to go for a jog, a long hike, or place a lot of pressure on my leg. I have a quad with a winch and a pretty good hunting partner. But I know that hauling a beast on the ground can mean twisting, tripping, falling over, etc... This is without a doubt the worst and LOUSIEST injury I have ever sustained... and it's costing me work opportunities, as well... I think I need some perspective and just have to say that this hunting season is a write-off and look forward to next year.

So, I 'll enjoy reading and razzing y'all on your hunting stories (and lies)!

anethema
09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Ah just for something to do, do a lot of dirt road hunting. If just deer you can often drop one within a few yards of the road. Just don't look for a trophy, just get the freezer full. White tail does are open again this year, so you're bound to see something.

I know it isn't something you normally might want to do, but with an injury like that it may be the best way to go. Then just drag it to the road side with the quad, gut, and toss it in the pickup.

savage30-06
09-13-2011, 07:58 AM
My hunting partner snaped his achillies tendon playing football,and they let it heal up on its own.We went on our moose trip and it snaped completely while we were stalking a big bull,so i drove him to the hospital got it casted up went back to our hunt with him on crutches and road hunted and he got his bull hopping on one leg.I loaded the moose by myself and we drove back to the mainland and he got surgery to sew his achillies back together which he probably wished he did in the first place.What a ordeal but well never forget that hunt.Hope you still make it out hunting on your quad and with good help.

Steeleco
09-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm with the two good suggestions above, get out there, you may not see the brutes you would normally, but you may also get lucky. Just being out there is often all the therapy most of us need.

emerson
09-13-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm with the two good suggestions above, get out there, you may not see the brutes you would normally, but you may also get lucky. Just being out there is often all the therapy most of us need.
This is wisdom here.

bigwhiteys
09-13-2011, 08:44 AM
My buddy is in a wheelchair (parapalegic) and he's out every single day hunting... The quad is his legs and he's got buddies to help haul and drag something he shoots.

Carl

Freshtracks
09-13-2011, 09:43 AM
So here I ponder what may be of my hunting season. I tore my achilles in April and am just getting around decently now but still have a long ways to go (physio well under way) to be able to go for a jog, a long hike, or place a lot of pressure on my leg. I have a quad with a winch and a pretty good hunting partner. But I know that hauling a beast on the ground can mean twisting, tripping, falling over, etc... This is without a doubt the worst and LOUSIEST injury I have ever sustained... and it's costing me work opportunities, as well... I think I need some perspective and just have to say that this hunting season is a write-off and look forward to next year.

So, I 'll enjoy reading and razzing y'all on your hunting stories (and lies)!

Hmmm :-? ... I'd say your hunting season is inconvienced ... not over. Now OVER is having had a lung removed July 7th and in the process of 4 chemo sessions. :neutral:

I see home base is Loops ... well tell you what, wanna switch up. :tongue: I'll take Sept and Oct with the bum leg to get all the hunting in I possibly could. Even if I don't drop the hammer.

You can figure which days u might feel up to just going for a walk. :razz:

... sorry but just had to shed a little light on your situation. :oops:

09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I broke my back and am in a wheelchair. I still hunt, just not like before. Go out and hunt already.

buck nash
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I had to have my thumb re-attatched after being cut off by a radial arm saw. I had to learn how to wipe my ass with my left hand. There you go. Feeling less sorry for yourself now after reading these posts? C'mon man just get off your ass and find a way to make it happen. I'm sure your injury is a bummer but it's not like you you're unable to hunt. People go out with far greater handycaps than a bum leg everyday. It just means you have to adapt.

Life goes on.....or it doesn't.

Jelvis
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Ah kill eeze is a very serious injury and i'm sorry to hear this bullkin.
Listen to your doctor and go with his or her ideas for you and don't cheat.
Rehab properly and maybe it will come back at least 75 percent.
Jelvis the Pelvis the achilles is very important for walking etc so respect the doc's advice

madrona sh
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Because you are a HBC member I will help you. Come over to the Island to my surgery in my basement and I will fix you up.
I have been having success with a new surgical procedure to strengthen the tendon bond between the Lateral Gastrocnemius and the Calcaneus.
Let me know.
Cheers

Steeleco
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Because you are a HBC member I will help you. Come over to the Island to my surgery in my basement and I will fix you up.
I have been having success with a new surgical procedure to strengthen the tendon bond between the Lateral Gastrocnemius and the Calcaneus.
Let me know.
Cheers

That's an offer I could refuse LOL

Darksith
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
you'd be surprised where you can get your quad into to pull an animal out of the bush. Especially if you have a good hunting partner. Use the quad to hunt old burns (lots of roads, good vis, lots of animals), use it to get in early, sit and wait and watch while enjoying the nice padded seat. Don't write the season off, that would be a shame, just find alternate ways to do your thing.

madrona sh
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
The procedure is done by taking ultra fine (1 micron) dynamic Spectra fibers and splicing them in with the muscle fibers. The tricky part is the bond to the Calcaneus (Heel Bone). But I have had recent success with Drilling small holes and inserting small titanium anchors.
The procedure only should take 2.5 hours at $25 an hour. (Cheaper than the ferry ride) (Parts are extra)
My guarantee is 30 sec or 30 feet whatever comes first.
Cheers

Ovis
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I broke my leg in June, am in a walking cast still and start my physio this week. Sheep hunt for August was cancelled, but we are going for the first 2 weeks of Oct. If I can't climb, I can still keep the fire burning at base camp.... Go out and have fun...

09-13-2011, 01:00 PM
The procedure is done by taking ultra fine (1 micron) dynamic Spectra fibers and splicing them in with the muscle fibers. The tricky part is the bond to the Calcaneus (Heel Bone). But I have had recent success with Drilling small holes and inserting small titanium anchors.
The procedure only should take 2.5 hours at $25 an hour. (Cheaper than the ferry ride) (Parts are extra)
Cheers

It sounds better and better.

Casagrande
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd say its over. Typical rehab is 6-8 months. You don't want to go down this road again. Like you said, twisting, turning, uphill, downhill, sidehill. Quads break down and now you're screwed. Get better, its only one season. You'll know when you're ready. F*** all in the big picture. And I've had a couple of buddies go through it. It ain't fun and you can't play through pain. And you can't rush through the rehab.

Cyrus
09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
If you did have surgery...hope it was better than the local hack I went to for a tricep tendon tear....be cautious of some of the orthopedic surgeons in kamloops!!!!! Also if it is still bothering you that much seek another opinion!!!!...from outta town..since those boys are all buddy buddy there!!

madrona sh
09-13-2011, 02:27 PM
My colleagues will not even talk to me since I lost my licence to practice after that whole "You have to wait for human trial approval issue. So not all are buddy buddy.

Bigbuckadams
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Even if you don't get out this year, keep your chin up ! This will be my last year of hunting ever :( and I'm only 43. I was diagnosed with A.L.S. ( Lou Gerhig's Disease ) this April and right now, I can barely walk, but I'm going to get out when it cools off. So, head up and we have the pleasure of lengthly seasons, so in another month, who knows, you may be able to get out too :)

madrona sh
09-13-2011, 04:37 PM
In all seriousness rest it up and don't do anything you shouldn't be doing. Hunt some grouse on flat land in good supportive shoes No flip flops for you.
Cheers

Fishhound
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
I have had 7 cardiac procedures including an artificial pump, a double bypass, and 5 stents, complete organ failure and infection in the sternum, with a 6 month stay in the hospital, end result there was no fusion in my sternum have lost 30-35% of heart function have a least 3 respiritory problems.

After all that I still managed to be with my son when he shot a great muley last year while I shot 2 small deer.

The point is get out there and do what ever your doctor and yourself think is safe to do, doing nothing is not acceptable period

Ltbullken
09-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Hmmm :-? ... I'd say your hunting season is inconvienced ... not over. Now OVER is having had a lung removed July 7th and in the process of 4 chemo sessions. :neutral:

I see home base is Loops ... well tell you what, wanna switch up. :tongue: I'll take Sept and Oct with the bum leg to get all the hunting in I possibly could. Even if I don't drop the hammer.

You can figure which days u might feel up to just going for a walk. :razz:

... sorry but just had to shed a little light on your situation. :oops:

Wow! ok... Thanks for the perspective. Good luck to you. If you are up this way, let's do it. PM me.

Really, I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I can take it or leave it. Thanks for sharing your story.

Ltbullken
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
It's taken a few days to come back to this. Thanks for all the advice and supportive comments. And the very funny suggestions and stories, as well as the testaments to heart and perseverance. I think having read this, will give some road hunting on my quad a go and drag my buddy along.

Ltbullken
09-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Cheers

Only if there's a bottle of single malt 25 yr old involved... 25 yr old scotch that is... though a well seasoned 25 yr old would do too I guess... :roll:

1S1K
09-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your Achilles injury. I'm a sports chiropractor and have helped to rehab a number of these same injuries. I would suggest that your days of hard hiking and dragging game are over for this year (but completely on for years to come after the injury is healed and properly strengthened) but by all means you can be out there with the boys, road hunting, spotting, helping out at camp, etc. Riding a quad shouldn't be much of a problem given your said timeline.

Use extreme caution with any lifting or long walking. A hard contraction at this point due to a missed step, etc. could put you back a long ways, and into surgery if the tendon ruptures again, which it is prone to doing in the healing phase if there is a sudden tension placed on it.

You should still have a great year in the backcountry though, as long as you have the support of some buddies that will help you out with dragging, lifting, etc. You only need to stand there with a shotgun to guard a kill, and stand there while helping to skin, etc.!!

Don't let it drag you down. PM me if you'd like more advice on healing this injury, etc. I'm in Vancouver.

Fixit
09-16-2011, 12:29 AM
two years ago i had a severe head injury and tore my shoulder up... i went into the bush to see if there were any bear signs yet and ended up shooting a big boar.
knowing i was a gimp i phoned around till i had enough friends to help deal with the animal and we brought it home!

it can me done!

Brew
09-16-2011, 05:04 AM
I do feel for you bullken as I have torn my achilles as well. It is painful and takes forever to heal. But you can still hunt. May not be able to climb a mountain but you can practice and perfect your road hunting skills.:mrgreen:

Ltbullken
09-16-2011, 01:56 PM
If you road hunt on quad... it ain't the same as road hunting with a truck, or an El Dorado or a Cadillac which I have all seen in the backcountry!!