PDA

View Full Version : looking for good northern river to moose hunt with new jet boat

rafike
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
would like some advice on a northern river in region 6 to moose hunt off with my dad. any advice is good.

Kalum
09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
What time to year are you thinking, what's your boat, and do you like to bump it around or keep'r purty:)
Lot's of rivers to check out in region 6. My persoanl fav is the stikine but you'll need an LEH so perhaps next year.
Dease river see's a lot of traffic but is a consistent hunter and nice waters.
Lot's of guys spend their time on the lower skeena and head up the gitandoix. Git's a little tricky to say the least- not for the faint of heart in shallow waters and the rock garden has been the demise of more than a few boats. Personaly I think the few moose around the Terrace area are all itsy bitsy tick infested worm ridden flea bags and not worth the time.

rafike
09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
l would like to go into the Stikine in late september. I have a 19 foot harbercraft, l was wondering how the water is on the east side of highway 37 towards the pittman river.
Pete

Kalum
09-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah, definitly go east. Downriver is certain doom:) Stikine's a great run and water levels should be fine. Beagerly's canyon which is just past the Klapan rail bridge, can be a little tight and has some rollers at the top. If you go on Google Earth you can make out the canyon area. I've never seen it at high water or real low but have been told it's a little tricky. I'm sure there's some members on this forum who have some good stories about this spot. Stay river left and you're good.
Other than that it's pretty big water and easy going. There's lot's of spots where the Stikine braids up and you have to pick the right channel. I've watched my buddy pick the wrong one once or twice:) Easy going up stream, can be a little tricker on the way back down, run a gps on the way up if you're concerned about route finding onthe way back down.
The entrance to the pitman has a good rock shelf and if the waters low you might want to scout your line before bombing through. If waters low keep the throttle on once through the mouth as it's deceptivly shallow for a bit. We came off plane last time to watch the other boat came through and bottom'd out...
My first time up the Pitman was an eye opener for sure, never ran in water so clear and kinda freaked me out seeing the bottom so close. It's pretty easy going once you're in there though.
Enjoy the ride

rafike
09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
thanks for the info.
Pete