PDA

View Full Version : some one started early...

beeugle
09-12-2011, 01:43 PM
so there I am driving to an area to bow hunt, sept 7th, I happen to see a large herd of elk on some private land, I pull over and glass them, I see a big 6 point, lots of cows and a number of smaller bulls, I know at this point I can't get near them so I'm enjoying watching the big bull herd his cows around, I have him perfectly in my binoculars at about 250 yards or so, and BOOM and a puff of dust just under him...he bolts as do the others out another few hundred yards... and I'm thinking ... WTF? no one can shoot at elk right now, and especially on private land, I know the shot came from about 400 yards or so to my right and as the crow flies the shot would have had a backdrop of a few ranch homes, I glass, can't see any one anywhere... still kinda in disbelief that someone would so blatantly try to poach this bull... so I call the CO's to advise them what I saw, knowing full well they couldn't do much at that point but fly the flag around there for a bit.. so... started out an interesting day... turns out they were the only elk I saw that day, a few hunters a few deer but it was dry and hot all day.. sure makes your wonder where people's brains are..... if they had not missed the shot, I wonder what would have happened then, cause you know I would have been all over that with the video camera!!!! to say the least!!!!

Phreddy
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
If you'd caught them I would hope that you would mention to the C.O. or RCMP that you definitly saw the guy fall down on a bunch of rocks and severely bruise and cut himself on them. ;-D
There are some real dickheads out there that badly need to trip and fall like that.

338Lapua
09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Very possible it was a band member. Remember they have no season, very common in region 8 especially up the Christian Valley.

adamgarbett
09-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Very possible it was a band member. Remember they have no season, very common in region 8 especially up the Christian Valley.

i think thats bull shit if they wanna hunt all year round they should have to use a stick and string for a bow, a sharp rock & stick for a arrow and do it all 100% on foot or horse back. Not with "the white mans" trucks, gas, guns and ammo. But thats just my opinion!

edgar11
09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Now now bucks&trucks, jealousy will get you nowhere. I would like to go back to those days also but unfortunately I have been forced to live in a concrete jungle and the animals are no longer in abundance as they once were. I could blame people about what has happened over the years but that wont help matters. Maybe some people should educate themselves before blurting out generalities of certain races, but thats just my opinion.

Big Lew
09-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Yes, Band Members are entitled to hunt anytime they wish 'within their traditional territories'. As per page 7 in the regs, as long as it's sustainable, and harvesting methods do not jeopardize safety, or the use and enjoyment of property. I don't know if shooting toward distant houses and into private property falls within their allowance or not.

adamgarbett
09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
its not jealousy believe im not that guy. I think its a forum of racism everyone wants to be treated as an equal but some races get "special treatment" like native ONLY beaches??? imagine we had white only beaches, or white history month. Im just saying!

keoke
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Hunting whales with a 50 cal mounted atop of an aluminum boat sounds traditional to me. They did canoe up to it and tossed a spear into it, after it was dead.

Tikka270
09-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Native only beaches? For swimming or....?

adamgarbett
09-12-2011, 06:48 PM
i dunno im not allowed on them hahaha just what it says on the sign

rainman
09-12-2011, 07:19 PM
oh,oh i smell a lockdown

papaken
09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Maybe you should have got all the particulars to a CO and let them decide if it was an illegal act. As the natives didn't make the rules why would you condemn them if they are following them. As for native only beaches, was it on a First Nations Reserve which is as the rules state private land and you need permission to go on it. If I am not mistaken there is a lot of land in BC that is not native yet you can't go plunk your butt in or on it without the owners permission. If someone was poaching report them and let the authorities figure it out. Racism on this site just makes all of us look bad.
sorry if anyone is offended
papaken

Sitkaspruce
09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Actually papaken, the PL only goes to high water mark, the beach is actually crown land. It is the access to the beach that is restricting. I have had to deal with this on reserve land before.

Now back to the story.......

Cheers

SS

f350ps
09-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Now now bucks&trucks, jealousy will get you nowhere. I would like to go back to those days also but unfortunately I have been forced to live in a concrete jungle and the animals are no longer in abundance as they once were. I could blame people about what has happened over the years but that wont help matters. Maybe some people should educate themselves before blurting out generalities of certain races, but thats just my opinion.
Why don't you educate us uneducated and tell us how you were forced to live in the "Concrete Jungle". Also I'd like to know which animals are not in abundance anymore, maybe the animals moved outta the concrete jungle! Just a thought from an uneducated guy! K

edgar11
09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
It is not people wanting special treatment it is people being treated that way. There's a big difference. I don't care about being treating different I just want to practice my culture as my ancestors did before me. It's no different than a Scotsman wanting to wear a kilt. To each his own. It only becomes a problem when greed and self fulfillment comes into the picture. I hunt to provide for certain ceremonies that require it instead of store bought food. Some people would know stuff like this if they would just ask. Judge a person as an individual and not by the color of his skin, it's not a hard concept to understand.

f350ps
09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
My comments were NOT meant to sound racist they were questions, that's all. I'd have asked the same question to anybody that stated they were forced to live in the "Concrete Jungle" where the animals aren't in abundance as they once were. K

BillBraskii
09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
It is not people wanting special treatment it is people being treated that way. There's a big difference. I don't care about being treating different I just want to practice my culture as my ancestors did before me. It's no different than a Scotsman wanting to wear a kilt. To each his own. It only becomes a problem when greed and self fulfillment comes into the picture. I hunt to provide for certain ceremonies that require it instead of store bought food. Some people would know stuff like this if they would just ask. Judge a person as an individual and not by the color of his skin, it's not a hard concept to understand.

Then why the spotlights and high powered rifles??

sounds like you are wanting to have your cake(moose/deer)and eat it too.

Jelvis
09-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Maybe the rancher was trying to get rid of the elk, a warning shot to frighten them away before D-Day and all the cross-fire. Maybe?
Jel .. Rancher don't want a 6 point in view of his houses. So shoots to scare them off.
He sees lots like you looking at the elk in his field. Lots I bet. :-D

edgar11
09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
F350ps, if you didn't know aboriginal people were forced to live on reserves and were made to live civilized. The children were sent to residential schools. The area around Vancouver was used for hunting and fishing. Can't really do that nowadays. As for animals, there used to be elk in the lower mainland. As for buffalo, well we all know what happened to them.

markm7
09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I think that to save healthy populations, and for all fairness that band members should get rights ,but not to shoot what ever they want when ever they want. I think they should have to follow the regulations as the rest do do, but give them the perks of maybe not having to buy liscences ,tags , ect....

edgar11
09-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Well billb if you know how to make those tools then please show me because this practice was lost when the people were told to live "civilized" and there were no children around to learn it anyways. You need to learn a little history before you make those generalized statements.

Caveman
09-12-2011, 08:59 PM
oh,oh i smell a lockdown

I smell it too, probably too late to make some popcorn.

edgar11
09-12-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree with you markm7, I have no problem only getting what I need and conserving the resource. Just like anybody, there's always one or two who make everybody look bad and just do whatever they want. The people I know respect the resource as this is how we were taught. We take what we need or what our community need and nothing more.

beeugle
09-12-2011, 09:02 PM
geez this kinda went sideways..... I don't believe it was a "band member" but thats just my opinion , the only guys I found out there were as white as me!!!

markm7
09-12-2011, 09:02 PM
well i respect you guys for that then , I agree not every body abuses there power .