PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail down!

lovemywinchester
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Day two of the season and managed to harvest a nice little whitey. My goal was to try and bag a whitey to get some meat for the freezer and then hopefully get a big mulie later on in the season. I had a good idea where some wt were hanging out so I set up on a small ridge overlooking a stand of timber and waited for dusk. I had a great vantage point and was lying down behind a small rock which was a perfect support for my Ruger. The tough part was I was in the middle of a meadow and was facing right at the sun as it slowly went down. Hot and bright but I tried to not squirm around or fall asleep. I fell asleep a few times last fall while hunting and was woken up by a cougar who was about 50 ft away looking for me. I am determined not to get eaten this year so no napping in the bush.
I had about a half hour of light left when I saw a doe slowly moving down the tree line towards where I was hoping to get a shot. I was 300yds out but had the rifle resting perfectly so no worries about the distance. I knew there was a buck and doe hanging together so as the doe walked along I kept scanning with the binos looking for a buck. My heart was starting to race in anticipation and I tried to take some deep slow breaths to keep calm. All of a sudden I could see another deer beside the doe but hiding in the tree line. I could see bone and was just stoked that my plan was working out. It wasn't that big but was a buck. All the plans I had to practise some self control this season and wait for a bigger buck went right out the window. He slowly came out and turned broadside and started feeding. Light was running out so I decided to do it. I am shooting a .280 and it drops about 11 inches at 300 yds so I put the crosshairs on top of his shoulder and took a few deep breaths and squeezed the trigger.
BOOM! All of a sudden there was white tails bouncing around. I didn't even see the other does. They are sure hard to see when they move slowly. Makes you wonder how many deer you miss but are looking right at. I looked through the scope and could see my deer bent over in distress as the other does tried to figure out what was happening. The shot went through his leg and deflected through the lungs and out the other side. He took a few steps and went down. Awesome. First deer of the season and a plan that worked just like I thought it would.
Had some good buddies help me gut it and drag it to the truck. Sitting in the back of the pick up with my buddy and my buck and sipping a cold beer on the drive back, what a great feeling. He was 95 lbs on the hook fully dressed. Not a giant but a nice fat boy and will be great on the bbq.
I can't wait to start looking for a big mulie. Thanks to the boys for the help and good luck to everyone else this season.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/whitey2.jpg

lilhoss
09-12-2011, 11:58 AM
fresh venison,...nice!

Jetboat
09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Good eats, congrats :)

Mikey Rafiki
09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Great shot, great trophy! Those post harvest beers are so soooo sweet.

Congrats and good luck with that cranker muley.

emerson
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
It sure is nice when a plan comes together.

BigfishCanada
09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice buck Hump!!! Congrats!

walnutz
09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Nice one for sure!!! Enjoy!

sapper
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice buck. I 'm a meat hunter so any successfully harvested buck is a good buck to me. I hope to get my first buck this season.

09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
You had to get help to drag it back!!
Just kidding! Great buck, Thoes Whitetails are tasty. It is pretty cool when they do what you thought.

Steelie64
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Another Whitety removed from the Kamloops area!!! Thank you! Enjoy the meat, it is great this time of year.

proguide66
09-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Good eatin deer right there!!!

burger
09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Nice work. now you can relax and look for a bigger mulie when you can.

ramron
09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Nice little meat buck. It's not too often that you get to hunt in shorts, congrats.

d6dan
09-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Good eatin deer right there!!!

Thats what I was thinking. Congrats.:-D.

358win
09-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Way to go. Good on you with with this hot weather. Enjoy the BBQ and congrats on not getting eaten.

BearSniper
09-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Great job, some meat in the freezer.

adamgarbett
09-12-2011, 05:28 PM
right on sounds like it was a good evening, deer down and not encounter with a damn cat lol. Congratulations

lovemywinchester
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments. Lots of good enthusiasm for a spike. It was a great hunt for me and I wish I could go back tomorrow and do it again. Watching deer materialize out of the bush and being set up in a position where they have no idea you are there is a great feeling. Going over it in my head all day. I would love a crack at a bigger whitey so I may have to slide over to reg. 8 soon and see if I can bump into a cranker there. I'm not sure what to plan now for another hunt. I really want to hold off for that big rutting mulie in Nov. and I would love to climb some mountains again around Whistler looking for a big blacktail as well. Whitey doe in Oct sounds nice plus I have an LEH Pemby doe draw which shouldn't go to waste. Maybe get a sheep tag and hang around Lytton looking for a ram and one of those monster mulies I hear live there. Maybe I should go do some work as well to pay for some gas!

Another Whitety removed from the Kamloops area!!! Thank you! Enjoy the meat, it is great this time of year.

You better get used to the whities around here Steelie64. From what I have seen they are in Red Lake, Logan Lake and lots out Pritchard way so they have the Loops surrounded!

Bushy
09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey, you going to Euro mount it? It will fit in your glove compartment.:mrgreen:

Good going when a plan works out Hump.

RB

lovemywinchester
09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey, you going to Euro mount it? It will fit in your glove compartment.:mrgreen:

Good going when a plan works out Hump.

RB
Thanks Rich. I thought about it but we broke his head hanging him up. Not much strength in those little spikes.

moose2
09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice looking buck he looks chunky and still nice enough weather to enjoy him on the Bar-B-Q
Mike

5 spike
09-12-2011, 08:31 PM
awesome that going to be great eats. congrats.

Banjo
09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Nice shooting!

lovemywinchester
09-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Mr. WT is back from the butcher and ready for the freezer. Tenderloins on the bbq tonight!!

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/spike.jpg