PDA

View Full Version : BC Mapping tool

anethema
09-12-2011, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure how many know about this, but I was going to reply to someone's post. Decided to make it a general thread instead to make sure many see it.

I notice everyone using the backroads map book as their main outdoor book. It works okay.

I'm wary of the backroads map book though as it contains even major looking paths or roads that simply don't and have never existed. I have had to take more long ways around following backroads map book than anything else.

To plan a hunt I usually use the BC Online Cadastre. It is a site put up by the govt that has every footpath to main road that exists in BC. I have almost never come across a path it shows that doesn't exist, though some may be grown in, smaller than you'd think etc.

It also shows private land, contours, anything else you want that the govt knows about the area essentially. Fastastic tool. Hell it will even show orthophotos and overlay the map data on them.

Here is an example map I made of the Carmi area where I was looking for sheep.

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.jsp?session=3628564460887724132

(Sorry to contribute to link rot but I'm sure this link will expire eventually)

Clearly shows where the private land starts and stops, the municipal boundary, how the road follows the ravine, every little creek going in and out of it, etc. Shows everything from hiking trails to main roads. I usually print maps using this tool of the areas I'm going to hunt. Has saved my bacon before for sure.

If only I could hack together a program for iPhone to use this I'm sure it would be an invaluable hunting tool.

Basically if you go on the top and click 'layers' you can toggle on and off anything you'd like to see. The layers I picked in the example are usually what I use. You can toggle off the footpath type fine-grained transportation layer if you just want to see main dirt roads though.

Basically I just wanted to make anyone not aware of this, aware of it, since I find it is the best mapping tool for hunting or just being outdoors in BC. Hell you could make your own backroads map book using it.

Slinky Pickle
09-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Very strange, the link now works just fine from both of my computers. Maybe I just had some kind of glitch yesterday.

Amphibious
09-12-2011, 08:08 AM
link works fine for me. great tool, thanks!

The Hermit
09-12-2011, 08:12 AM
I've spent hours and hours trying to use iMap in the past and it just doesn't frickin like me!! Is it a Mac thing?

CSG
09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I think Imap doesnt like Macs. I worked great with my pc and when I got my mac it stopped working all together for me

antileno
09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
there was a thread about this in the the path that gave instructions on what layers to turn on and off and how to do that. I have tried looking for it but i can't seem to find it, it was helpful though had step by step instructions. I have called the CO's office and local municipal offices of the areas I want to hunt and they all direct you to this site for info on land ownership.

anethema
09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Just look at the link I pasted and check the layers I have checked off. Shows contours, water, roads, trails, land parcels, indian reserves, annotations etc.

You can even make it show land types etc (Swamp, forest etc).

That link should work. I'm using firefox 4.x but checked in chrome and IE on my computer.

You have to make sure to use the Cadastre as in the link I posed above, because they have a bunch more mapping products that are missing a lot of features/layers the cadastre has.

anethema
09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Here is a pic of what the map looks like for me in case the link isn't working for some of you:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6161/6141700583_463c254880_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6161/6141700583_463c254880_o.jpg

XPEIer
09-12-2011, 05:56 PM
all of this is also available as a google earth layer, I dont have the link at home, but I have seen it on the sites. All the data comes from the same source, just different mapping platforms.

Hydrojet
09-12-2011, 06:12 PM
That would be interesting to see on google earth....anyone find the map slow to reload?

anethema
09-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I'd love an iPhone app version that allows you to pan/scale it like the native google maps app. Could click settings and pick the layers you need. Be neet, maybe I can get my buddy to put something together and sell it for a buck on the app store.

knockturnal
09-12-2011, 07:45 PM
i have the Cabelas map for my Iphone and find that it is more up to date with the sattelite imagery then google earth is. You can do streets, aerial, hybrid, topo, and terrain. i find myself using hybrid as it combines the streets with the terrain. I think i paid 5 bucks for the app. Comes with a whole lot of other thigns too. You can also cache map blocks to look at later when you have no service. It also says that it uses gps tracking to track you when you have no service. its a neat app and for 5 bux, i think its worth it. Ive spent money on worse things!

anethema
09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Hm I'll have to check that out.

high and to the right
09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I looked up cabelas map on the apps for iphone but only found one called Cabela's Recon Hunt which was good in 11 US states. What is the name of the app that does BC? Thanks for the info.

Ben Fougere
09-13-2011, 02:31 AM
That's a great new way to scout out an area.

Thanks

high and to the right
09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I re-read the info and the 11 states is just the new material that was added. This is the app. I bought it and it looks good. It looks like it will do the same thing as my $$$$ Garmin GPS and my $149 back road map except that it costs $3.98.

Helly Hunter
09-13-2011, 08:43 AM
I have an Android, Orux Maps works great and is free and it helps you create the maps for offline use on the spot or on a PC. It gives you a choice to use Google Earth, Terrain, Maps or a bunch of others.... I found Google Terrain to be the best.... Cabellas is also available on Android, will have to try it out after the good feedback from you all. But I was thinking it would be great to have a GPS map of BC with all the backroads, private/crown lands, MU borders and no hunting/vehicle zones showing ect... I know a couple of states offer something similar