PDA

View Full Version : looking for hunting partners?

bchunter181
09-11-2011, 07:43 PM
2 younger guys looking for hunting partners have been hunting for a while and havent got any deer yet wanting to hunt with some other guys that have success slowly starting to loose are passion after 5 years of getting nothing we live and breathe hunting.need help we have no body to teach us we have tried are selves. put in the time and the work and nothing is working we are lost at what to do please help! we are in 100 mile house

Moose72
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Where have you been hunting? Could always send you in a few good directions.

bchunter181
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
around 100 mile house

Shooter
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
We went up there a couple years ago and hunted the Timothy mountain area. We went up there blind and just started scouting for the first couple days. We located a few deer out that way so we just kept hitting that area and we came home with a buck within the week.

bchunter181
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Huh really ya we hikeD for 2 days around the rail area up there and saw nothing where you on the timothy side Or rail lake area as well

pg83
09-11-2011, 07:56 PM
It is going to take time to learn an area and pattern the wildlife. If you put in the miles on your truck and on your boots it is going to pay off. I have not hunted around 100 mile personally, but I would imagine if you hit an FSR and look for sign you are going to bump into a deer at some point.

Matty_ola
09-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Try sticking to one particular area and learn the land and the habits of the animals on it. Chances are you may be there too late or too early, You may be moving when you should be looking. Your best friend is your bino's. I glass for hours at a time. You'll be surprised how animals just materialize out of nowhere when you're glassing a ridge, valley or cut-block.

I've hunted with guys who sound like a bull in a china shop walking through the bush. The key is walk quietly and stop/listen often.

The one thing you need to remember is nothing moves quickly through the bush unless it's in danger. The slower you go the more you're gonna see.

Shooter
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
We were staying on the Timothy lake side. We actually had rented a cabin at timothy lake and we were hitting an area that was only about 15-20 minutes away from there, up Timothy mountain. We found a huge slash that the road was blocked off to and we were hiking all around in that area. We saw a ton of does but only that one buck in that week. But it was the end of Oct when hunting is typically a little slower. I am sure there are guys here that will point you to better spots but like I said we went blind and after 2 days of driving looking for areas we decided to focus on the spot we saw the most activity and that was there.

bchunter181
09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
can anyone help out 2 struggling guys?

22 Northriver 496
09-11-2011, 11:54 PM
A good start would be close to the Fraser River churn creek area, if you have a good boat you would be gueranteed, if you are in a vehicle try hunting the road from churn creek too empire valley....I think you would be gueranteed in this area, we will be there with a jet boat on the weekend of the 22 of October ....let me know how you make out..
hope this helps, Ron

saskbooknut
09-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Scouting to find the deer concentrations before hunting season helps, you can't eat the ones that don't leave tracks.
Pattern where the deer eat, get water, and bed down - then you can find where they are vulnerable travelling between these sites. The boundaries of farm fields and heavy cover bush are fine places to intercept the deer. Similarly in the alpine, the edges of openings are promising.
Move slowly, using your eyes and binoculars a lot, spend time sitting at dawn and dusk if you think you have a travel route identified. Deer are very quick to pick up movement. Beginning hunters tend to move way too fast and not use cover effectively. Like previous posters have said, get to know the habitat that you want to hunt and your likelihood of success goes up markedly.
When I was a beginning hunter in BC I found that a 1 week hunt in the East Kootenay was guaranteed a deer at least, not as successful on Elk every year. I don't know the area around 100 mile for hunting, but the principles are the same.

srupp
09-12-2011, 09:26 AM
hmmmm send me your ph # in a PM..and I will point you to a good deer area..

If your schedules match mine I will bring you along on a deer hunt towards Horsefly..and if interested in Bears will keep you in mind for next springs bear hunt..

cheers

Srupp

Williams Lake

Darksith
09-12-2011, 09:53 AM
come to kamloops, I'll take you out to a couple spots near cache creek/clinton. Basically get on the green lake rd I believe, and take any little side road. Lots of deer around there.

Sellis75
09-12-2011, 12:07 PM
I find Timothy Lake to not have much for some reason - better to hit up closer to Williams Lake.....Horselfy good!

LYKTOHUNT
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Well you cant do much better than the responses from some folks and especially scrupp and darksith, damn fine I would say

bchunter181
09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes I am very thankful for all the help going to try some more areas and hopefully get a buck

09-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes I am very thankful for all the help going to try some more areas and hopefully get a buck

Thats just it! Keep given'er the ones you get that you really had to work for are the ones that stick out in your memory

srupp
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
hopefully we can hook up for a couple days of deer for the 101 on deer..the WHY's...and that will answer your question of where..and when...then the how is solved also..

Steven

srupp
09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
lol more than just getting a buck...the how to's..

steven

sawmill
09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Sure is some nice guys on this site.Good luck to you this fall.

bchunter181
09-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks and Srupp I sent you my number call me and we can definetly go deer hunting together that would be awesome

coach
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Try sticking to one particular area and learn the land and the habits of the animals on it. Chances are you may be there too late or too early, You may be moving when you should be looking. Your best friend is your bino's. I glass for hours at a time. You'll be surprised how animals just materialize out of nowhere when you're glassing a ridge, valley or cut-block.

The one thing you need to remember is nothing moves quickly through the bush unless it's in danger. The slower you go the more you're gonna see.

Very sound advice. With the additional help from Srupp and Darksith, you are well on your way to a successful season. I grew up in 100 Mile and can tell you that lots of good hunting areas do not require you to travel far from home. Lots of guys drive right past the good areas in their quest to get farther into the bush. PM me and I'll let you know of a few places to start.

ElliotMoose
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
100 mile house and you havent shot anything yet?! Come on boys! I hunt with a big group of young guys, were all 20-25 and have had some great success. PM me and im sure we can set somethin up

pmj
09-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks for stepping up Darksith and srupp, seems like they need just one final piece to succeed, after all they said: looking for hunting partners

ruger#1
09-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Boys, do not give up. Sometimes it takes a while to get your first deer. It took me three years. After I got my first one then it was good going for all the rest. My first deer was a blacktail spike. So I wasn't picky and these guys on this thread are very helpful. Good luck and I hope you tag one this year.

bchunter181
09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for
All yhe help I have pmd a few people will g to help thanks

Moose72
09-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Head towards gustafson and you will see a ton of clearcuts. There are a pile of deer in there. 83 mile, Begbie area has a ton of clearcuts as well. Good time of year right now for these areas. As oct arrives head south and west they tend to migrate that way. Chasm area, medow lake, bigbar. Or even north and west in the oct-nov seasons. You will find success with patience and sitting in these cut blocks at first light and last light. Just sit and glass, they will appear out of nowhere.

604redneck
09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
I have alot of respect for people that arent affraid to ask for help, i have little respect for those who laugh or refuse to help....especially in hunting where people are always complaining that the number of young hunters is rapidly declining. that said hats off to all that helped out and if u ever make it to region 8 pm me and ill meet u somewhere even the merritt area.
cheers
ps u dont have to give up ur big buck hot spot to help someone get a deer theres insane amounts out there

srupp
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
some spot on advice...on glass glass glass..# 1 aid to success..and Moose72 couldnt make it any plainer or easier or pinpoint when and where...now go SIT DOWN AND GLASS see them before they see you..

steven

BCGameHunter
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey guys I'm bchunter181s hunting partner thanks for all the help its nice to know that there are lots of people on here willing to help. I hope this season is better then the last ones for us.

RayHill
09-12-2011, 09:39 PM

I've hunted with guys who sound like a bull in a china shop walking through the bush. The key is walk quietly and stop/listen often.

This is all good advice. If you do this your rate of success will turn for the better. Animals make noise when they move it might not be loud but if you listen carefully you will hear them. When you start to learn more you will know that you are close by your pray.

When you do find a shooter don't screw it up, think about what you are doing. Get up close to it by walking wind on your face moving low and slow. You can stock deer up to 10 feet if you are doing everything right.

Don't let your first opportunity get away by a bad shot. If he gets away by a bad stock that is a better learning experience then a crapy shot, also a great adrenaline rush that will get you inspired to keep up your hunt trips!

bchunter181
09-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks alot guys great advice

rcar
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Huh really ya we hikeD for 2 days around the rail area up there and saw nothing where you on the timothy side Or rail lake area as well

Hi bchunter.

Fire me off a pm. I have a cabin on rail and can give you a few areas to scout. Also I will be heading up towards the end of October to close up the cabin and spend a few days hunting if I don't fill my tags before then.

.330 Dakota
09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Srupp will point you in the right direction. Try in the 150 area as well Maze Lake road is usually good as well, especially for does

Bobfl
09-13-2011, 07:40 PM
9 hours and u are in the kooteneys, 100 mile hunts are tough. come for an elk hunt. park your truck talk to the elk and get a thrill. you may not get your elk on the first trip but you will have elk within 100 yrds. It is the 50 yrd zone that is the tough part.