PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Next Time You Can Put Your Fire Out?

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
09-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Who in the hell leaves their camp with a fire still burning hot in the middle of a grassy area in bush dry as hell. Thats what I seen today on my way out from my morning hunt. When I went in I seen a pickup and camper parked and thought nothing of it, but when I came out there was a fire still burning, right on top of the grass no barrier of anykind, and the truck and camper had packed up and left. I emptied all my bottles of water, my bottle of pop and a bottle of juice and also piled some dirt on top of it all to ensure it was out. So if this particular person is reading this, grab yourself a brain will ya. With the breeze that had come up and the grass and bush being dry this whole particular area east of Prince George could have been gone before we knew what happened.

Doe
09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
And probably would have, had you not seen it. Wow....stupid beyond belief!!

Morel
09-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Had a similar experience in Ontario. Some dumb A$$ lit a small fire on the top of the Niagara Escarpment during a very dry spell. On the edge of the escarpment there is very little soil and in many places it is almost solid organic. The organic layer under the fire site was still burning. Had to dig it up, smother it and piss on it (no water bottles). Moral of the story - make sure you know what is under your fire pit as well as around it. Oh ya, and make sure your fire is really out.

358mag
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Well you cant fix stupid

Phreddy
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
It's guys like that that provide the "anti's" with all the ammunition they need to further put a crimp in our hunting opportunities then scream the loudest because, "It's not fair". Be nice if he/they ended up getting trapped in the fire their carelessness created.

pg83
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
There will always be idiots doing this stuff. Good on you for fixing the problem.

WaderGator
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
brutal. good thing you were there

Darksith
09-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I think that the gov should spend a couple bucks to educate people about crossover and what it means for a smoldering fire. Not to say that it will fix the problem, but I think a lot of people that don't know about what crossover is and how it affects fires, and if they did they might be more diligent. Basically for those that don't know, crossover is a firefighting term that describes the air temp and the relative humidity. When the air temp climbs above the relative humidity (lets just say RH is 25, when temp goes past 25 thats crossover) a smoldering ember will burst into flame again. Its amazing if you've ever been in a hot area of a forest fire, all these little smoking logs and such all of a sudden burst into open flames again exactly at the same time. So a camper that thinks their smoldering fire in the morning that will not be a problem will relight in a couple hours, that is why they say you must completely extinguish.

rocksteady
09-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Crossover is not the only condition where smouldering fires can change to open flame.....I wish it was that simple:wink: Crossover does indicate the potential for aggressive fire behaviour, which is a WATCH OUT condition for the fire fighters.....

As far as educating the public....How many years has the Smokey Bear campaign been ongoing???? IIRC he is 75 this year....We have signs on the highway (Is your campfire out?), we have radio ads, we have TV news updates, we have ground patrollers out spreading the gospel of putting out your campfire and people still leave them burn:rolleyes::rolleyes:

People are not uneducated, just lazy and stupid....50% of all forest fires in BC are man caused.....and have been that way for the last 30 years, why would people suddenly clue in now???????

Darksith
09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I totally agree on all points, and I think its more than 50% of fires are cause by silly people. Im just saying that more education is a good thing, and maybe someone watching a smoking log burst back into flames would help drive the point home. On my recent adventure in the peace I too encountered a smoldering fire left at a beauty attraction which to get to you had to quad through an old burn. I guess you just can't do much about stupidity.

thecoug
09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Bottom line here is... YOU CANT TAKE THE STUPID OUT OF STUPID... It matters not what you teach or mentor someone...
It is what they do with it when the feet hit the ground... that simple... Education can be pretty lame without behaviour mod.....

coquitlam
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
lets not forget the smokers who throw there butts out the window. Last weeks fire I believe it was kamloops that was started at the highway from a lit butt. Last year I was stuck in Manning park from a fire started on the highway from a butt