PDA

View Full Version : First time out for geese.

kuva
09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
OKay so my first early season for delta goose ended with no geese. I learned I awhole lot and looking forward to the season opening again for me. I've already marked the calender for my wife so she wont forget. My first day out was really difficult learning the area and not really much time for my head in the air. Marching through the marsh scouting the area out was a little touch and go wondering if I was going to sink up to my neck in mud a couple times. I got to see alot of the wild life. There where some swans with their kids swiming along the bank. The blad eagles soaring about, and the hundereds of ducks that are still not in season. Came home alittle down hearted but very determined. Now the last day of the early season creeps ups on me and getting back out is becoming a challage with my 1 1/2 year old son and pregeant wife. I managed to escape with the wind in my hair and the sun just coming up. I ploted my route to a spot where I could sit and wait. With no decoys yet its going to be some pass shooting. I started the march with my head down for footing and I hear some honking. Look up to late to see a couple of canadains fly by, and only about 25 yards up. With a new sight of hope I get settled in to the spot for the day. While I was putting down the pack down I look up again to see a couple more geese fly up on me. Panic set in as I realize that the gun is not loaded. I scramble as fast as I could but too late. They where too far away by the time I was ready. Feeling confident even though these oportunitys have just passed me by, I settle in and wait. I hear in the distance farmers shooting up their feilds with sucess, becasue I didnt see any birds excape, so more hope filled my patenice. I see more swans, ducks, eagles, guls, crows, and song birds but no more geese. After awhile passes I realise that this will be it, unless I can come up with some decoy's and a late fly by. So more marching coments. I found a old bliind, and some more mud, and a little better understanding of the area. Well so I guess its untill the 8th will I get another try, and belive me, there will be me, with my head up and gun loaded.

Jason Kuva

field marshal
09-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Sometimes " Lady Luck " can be a real bitch!!!:icon_frow
Sounds like you are determined, so keep trying your luck!!
Lots of Knowledgable waterfowlers on this site so don't be afraid to
ask questions? Good luck!:-D----Cheers--Field Marshal.

f350ps
09-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Wow, yer determined that's for sure, when u connect on the first one you'll be hooked for life! What marsh are you referring to? K

Crazy_Farmer
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Ahhhhh the unloaded gun. The Murphy law is alive and well in the waterfowling life.

The worst one that comes to mind is being unanchored in my punt, having just paddled into my set, and a ball of 60 brant comes floating into range, and they skate by wide becuase I was moving around so much.

Dont worry, you spend enough time out there, you'll learn what you need to, too take one down.

kuva
09-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh I forgot to say thankyou to some of the members here that helped me find a spot.

What marsh are you referring to? K

The marsh I am refering to is the brunswick point