PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Sheep and Muleys in the Marbles

Banjo
09-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I've been hunting moose for 20 years in the shadows of the Marbles (Big Bar to Dog Creek area). We have a cabin, but this year I want to spend a few days in the mountains looking for Sheep and Muleys. Thinking of heading in from the Jesmond fire lookout and staying a few nights in the bush between the 15th and 20th of Oct. walking the ridges.

Anyone have experinces here they're willing to share or tips/words of encouragement or alternative access points?

Much Appreciated!

Thanks

ElectricDyck
09-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I've never been but want to, it's beautiful country. A buddy of mine stayed up mount Kerr at the end of september and woke up to a foot of snow, so be prepared for some cold weather. There's a bit of info on access on the club tread website if you do a search.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0302.jpg

kennyj
09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Dad got a draw the first year it went to LEH. We got his ram in the porcupine drainage and saw a few others. Awesome area. Lots of unique rock formations and beautiful alpine. It will be hard to find a full curl ram, but a 4 point mulie would be a good possibility.
Good luck
kenny

afflicted 1
09-11-2011, 02:39 PM
porcupine creek drainage would probably be a better starting place, but rams are few and far between now especially a full curl but like kennyj said there is definitly some good bucks

Banjo
09-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks Guys!

Big Lew
09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Definitely some mulies, black bear, and moose from the lookout, south, and toward the park. I've seen many deer and the odd large moose from the north-south powerline and higher during september and into october. Lot of limestone formations and caves up there. Can be treacherous up high, crumbly and some hidden holes, but really beautiful country even if you're just hiking.

srupp
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
hmmm good solid advice...there ARE legal rams in 2 spots in that area.. hmmm " 2 more different spots a man could never expect to find AND find sheep "

They ARE there as of last week...and the deer also..

Steven

Banjo
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I hope I stumble upon your spots Steven....sounds encouraging. What elevation should I hang out at?

srupp
09-12-2011, 09:29 AM
hmmmm let the dryness help you....

steven

srupp
09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
hmmm there are some BIG deer in there no doubt..true trophies..however they dont get big and old by being stupid, cover..either low light or natural cover...uphill side of junipers etc..

I will give long and lats of every animal I know of EXCEPT for cali sheep...lol..although I have done that too..

There are very few sheep (Cali) left #'s are way down in the past decade..and the bands have become seperated into really diverse locations but easily identifiable locations..a couple go back over 30 years of me looking at the same small locations...

For BIG deer try that 1/2 hour just before sun up...the big guys are just heading the last bit into their day beds..here they tend to go up to bed...

As for sheep..lol I have already told you in my past posts...but sheep and deer are 2 different hunts...

good luck...

Steven

Banjo
09-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Awesome...thanks

srupp
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Banjo send me a PM with ph re deer

steven

Moose63
09-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi Banjo;

I got a LEH draw for bull moose in 3-31B (Big Bar to Dog Creek area), Oct 1-31. Would you be willing to share any moose hunting tips, access points? I've never hunted sheep or Muleys or anything in this area, so I can't help you. I put in for a draw because a friend at the gun club suggested it.

Goliath
09-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Borrow a copy of Chris Kind's book "Stone Sheep & Bighorns of BC". Chris doesn't reveal anything extraordinary, but it may put you in the mood to hunt the Limestones. The writing is lackluster, but the photos are awesome.

Banjo
09-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Moose63

Congrats...that should be a good hunt. We usually hunt the same area and seem to come across moose pretty evenly throughout the sub-unit. If you don't have a spot to camp, I would suggest the forestry campsite on Beaverdam lake as it's pretty central.

I would suggest you stay east of the canoe creek reserve (on meadow lake road) and north of meadow lake road. Best bet is to start calling on opening day. We called our Bull in last year on the 1st, then it was like the moose disappeared and didn't see much else for the next 10 days...so get there early. Besides, open season on spike forks opens on the 15th so all the unlucky ones will be tearing up the bush looking for them. Hopefully by then you'll be picking up the sausage from the butcher.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

The Dude
09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Borrow a copy of Chris Kind's book "Stone Sheep & Bighorns of BC". Chris doesn't reveal anything extraordinary, but it may put you in the mood to hunt the Limestones. The writing is lackluster, but the photos are awesome.

This post is full of Win. :D

Moose63
09-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks Banjo!

Big Lew
09-17-2011, 10:25 AM
It's a beautiful area for sure. As my Wife isn't able to do the steep or rough stuff anymore, I haven't been in there for the last few years, but I've hiked to Jesmond Peak from the fire lookout, and from south of Big Bar Lake, as well as hiked up from Jesmond east, and have always seen deer, although I've only taken one, as well as seen a few moose, Have also spotted sheep from a distance. The CO's were patrolling up high on quads, checking sheep hunters on 2 occasions....sure wish I was 10-20 years younger, sigh.

tim3500
09-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Well you know were every body heading now!

srupp
09-17-2011, 02:39 PM
lol..ya but shhhh the CO'S are looking for sheep hunters..but they are not where the sheep are...its the only place they can quad..
ha ha ha....pretty good day @ work....

Big Lew
09-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I've never hunted sheep, and although had always planned to hike in past Wild Horse Ridge to climb up toward Mt. Kerr, my buddy and I only got in to below the ridge....it's pretty thick following the valley in some places.

Banjo
09-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Dad got a draw the first year it went to LEH. We got his ram in the porcupine drainage and saw a few others. Awesome area. Lots of unique rock formations and beautiful alpine. It will be hard to find a full curl ram, but a 4 point mulie would be a good possibility.
Good luck
kenny

Hey KennyJ,

I can't find any info on purcupine drainage. I'm assuming based on the topo maps this is NorthEast of Purcupine Mtn? Any access from that direction (Big Bar rd) that you're aware of, or should i weave my way in from Mt Bowman area?

Banjo
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
lol..ya but shhhh the CO'S are looking for sheep hunters..but they are not where the sheep are...its the only place they can quad..
ha ha ha....pretty good day @ work....

Hey Srupp,

Is it worth checking out the other side of Jesmond road closer to the river and Edge hill park? With the elevation, and prox to the river it looks liek it would be a good hiding spot?! I also heard somewhere thatthe north facing slopes are where the mulies stick to until the winter. Any truth to that?