PDA

View Full Version : pemberton , upper lillooet area

new hunter
09-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Just two questions for the pembie crowd , does anyone know if the road to meager has been reopened at the 9km tounoff , and has anyone hunted locomotive mountain before ?
I was scouting up at north creek a few weeks ago and found the gate at the main turnoff from the bralorne road had been shut behind me {but not locked thankfully } and a sign had been posted by the fire marshal stating that the road had been closed due to slide hazard .
I went back up a week or so later and saw another sign stating the same thing at the turnoff from pemberton meadows road , I'm just wandering if anyones been up there recently and if the roads still closed ?
Also wandering if anyones ever had luck hunting locomotive mountain ? I saw a couple does up there last season , about halfway up were the cut blocks wrap around the hill side {also found a bunch of pot plants up there }.
I was at the valley floor looking up at the alpine on that hill , and it looks like a fairly gentle climb to the tree line from the cuts and through old growth which I figure should be easy enough to navigate .
Anyone ever harvest anything up there , I'll be heading up there on the 15th.
any pointers on hunting the area would be appreciated as well , I'm still pretty green at this whole thing .

proguide66
09-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Theres deer in all those areas. You have found them , now you have to put in the time to learn how to hunt them. Read tips on other threads. All the successful guys around here have put in LOADS of personal hrs in learning how to hunt their prey and their spots. Its not an easy thing to give away to new hunters for free!:)... as well , if you hit a spot yourself , sweat, bit of blood and maybe some tears and score your first buck it will feel WAY better than getting it handed to you here!:razz:...pick one of those spots and ke going...dont stop until you know every deer trail and every deer that lives there...then it will come together each yr. good luck

Casagrande
09-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Theres deer in all those areas. You have found them , now you have to put in the time to learn how to hunt them. Read tips on other threads. All the successful guys around here have put in LOADS of personal hrs in learning how to hunt their prey and their spots. Its not an easy thing to give away to new hunters for free!:)... as well , if you hit a spot yourself , sweat, bit of blood and maybe some tears and score your first buck it will feel WAY better than getting it handed to you here!:razz:...pick one of those spots and ke going...dont stop until you know every deer trail and every deer that lives there...then it will come together each yr. good luck

Must be Christmas. Or have you turned into a nice guy since I left? Or perhaps you're hoping New Hunter has large breasts and a tight ass! (Sorry New Hunter).

stugatz
09-11-2011, 08:58 AM
As you can see nobody will give you something for nothing, and hunting is a prime example of that. Having said that, i have never hunted that area and i cannot honestly help you, but there are a lot of other times when the question will be a lot more palatable to some guys, and you will find that for the most part the people that are in these forums are generous with their info.......stay the course and dont get discouraged.

proguide66
09-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Must be Christmas. Or have you turned into a nice guy since I left? Or perhaps you're hoping New Hunter has large breasts and a tight ass! (Sorry New Hunter).
I thought you were out 'scouting' today? or did you decide to stay the course and keep drinking !!??.. or are you sitting at the main taking license plates for fall truck chasing?:lol: ( and drinking).

Casagrande
09-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I thought you were out 'scouting' today? or did you decide to stay the course and keep drinking !!??.. or are you sitting at the main taking license plates for fall truck chasing?:lol: ( and drinking).
Cold beer and wine store doesn't open for 20 minutes. Duh!

new hunter
09-11-2011, 08:12 PM
My main question is wether or not the slide warning on meager branch has been lifted , foolishly I had based most of my scoutin in the last couple years on that area and if the road is still shut at the 9km turnoff I am royally f"cked .
I don`t mean to sound like a mooching newbie , I`m just hoping for some encouraging news before I start my season by going into a new spot totally blind .
I personally have never thought twice about sharing the little experience I`ve picked up in the last couple years , so I kind of hoped anyone who had harvested in that area might be willing to take the oppurtunity to brag about deer taken in past years . Not looking for gps coordinates or a bait station location , just look at it as a chance to brag a bit . Or not .

Gateholio
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
I think there is a website you can check on road closures. Or call the MOF or whatever they are called now.

madrona sh
09-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Like Gatehouse said, call the Ministry of Florists as they will know.

slednecksbrown
09-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I've hunted around there and around Pemby and taken some tasty smaller bucks. During the rut Find the does and stalk them...You will see bucks.

new hunter
09-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys , didn't think ministry of forests covered roads , I'll try and find theyre website now .

Gateholio
09-11-2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/engineering/roadinformation.htm

new hunter
09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanx gatehouse , I tried ministry of forests but didn't find my answer . i checked that last website and got my info {roads still closed , indefinitely }, thanx I'll addd it to my favourites list .

pembified
09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I was up there yesterday morning, and the gate was closed, but I didn't check it. There was a truck parked in front of it though. You could try to access the area through the higher East Sampson main a couple of switchbacks up the Hurley, the road looked in pretty good condition. The map book shows it as connecting through, dunno. It would get you up pretty high on the East side of the valley. Not really wher eyou were talkign about mind you.

new hunter
09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Ive looked at the sampson main in my backroads atlas but hadn't checked it out though . If the meager gets shut down for a long time it might be a good option to have access through sampson main if it does hook up , I guess the upper lillooet will be completely unhunted if the road stays closed .
Thanx , I think I'll look into the sampson a little closer .

new hunter
10-12-2011, 07:33 PM
upper lillooet fsr is now open at the 9km gate .