PDA

View Full Version : Why ??? Ref Crossbows

greybark
09-10-2011, 04:02 PM
:-? Three times this past year picture posts have "unattended" cocked and bolt loaded crossbows . Two photos have them resting on harvested animals for a pic session and one filmed resting on a log round .
:-? Now Horton has a loaded one resting on a log round for advertismt photos .
Why ? One would never leave a loaded rifle like this .
Is the crossbow unloading procedure too much of a bother ?
Cheers

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
It looks cooler for the picture.

fireguy
09-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Are you looking for an argument with crossbow users or are you just uneducated about how other people hunt and use their weapons, both guns and crossbows.
I see you are a member of the traditional bowhunters of B.C. I'm not going to question how you hunt with your weapon of choice, if you are uneducated I will fill you in on how the rest of us hunt and what we do with our weapons of choice, otherwise it isn't worth my time.

greybark
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey Fireguy , You are assuming way too much . This is a flagrant safety violation and someone Will get hurt or killed . That is the posts intent .
For your info all three violations were PM ed to the individuals to eliminate such knee jerk reactions such as yours .
Cheers

steel_ram
09-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Wouldn't seem to bright to me to leave a loaded and cocked crossbow, or firearm laying around. I would also include loose arrows with broadheads. BTW I'm not a member of Traditional bowhunters ;)

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I keep my rifle loaded and ready at the kill site. Remembering a good man, Shane Fumerton, who unloaded his gun before the grizzly bear showed up... :(

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Unless the pictures violates one of the 4 rules of gun safety, nobody will get hurt.

All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

I didn't see the pictures in question, but unless one of these rules were violated, I dont' see how it's a real safety concern. Taking a picture of a loaded gun or crossbow isn't necessarily dangerous.

Bow Walker
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
In the case of Crossbows - it is very likely that the shooters may have cocked and loaded another bolt before they started after their 'kill' - just in case.

Once at the kill, it is also very likely that they just put the weapon down without another thought as they admired their kill - forgetting to at least remove the bolt.

Do I agree with this procedure? Definitely not!

Unsafe, even in bear country? Definitely.

fireguy
09-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I didn't see the pictures either, but, I always keep my rifle loaded as well, especially in bear country, I sleep with a loaded rifle, to many close calls. As far as the cocked crossbow goes, as lond as it is treated as a loaded weapon, nothing wrong with keeping it cocked, I hunt with a cocked crossbow, sometimes even with a bolt loaded, I also treat it like I do my loaded rifle. Why would you worry about a cocked crossbow for advertising purposes, bow manufactuers do the same thing, no big deal.
not to pee on your cornflakes, but having a loaded weapon is not a flagrant safety violation and most crossbows these days will not shoot at all without a bolt loaded so it kinda makes it a moot point. A flagrant safety violation would be having the weapon pointed at a person when it is loaded, no matter what kind it is.

Cyrus
09-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I keep my rifle loaded and ready at the kill site. Remembering a good man, Shane Fumerton, who unloaded his gun before the grizzly bear showed up... :(

ditto...after reading the tragic story in Gary Shelton's book I do the same!!! locked and loaded!!

greybark
09-10-2011, 05:30 PM
One of the photo`s I refer to is 2011 Elk Pictures thread (back a bit) . I understand the need for a loaded weapon handy when dressing out game . That weapon although handy is in a position where it is secure and not in a position where it may be bumped or fall over on its own placing those around it in jepardary. I hate spelling it makes my head hurt .
Cheers

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
When I approach a downed animal, I have a loaded rifle in my hands, safety off, and finger off the trigger. Once I make sure it's dead, the rifle goes on safe and it is put aside. If it is to be included in pictures, we take the pictures then set it aside. I know I am not going to pick it up and point it at someone, I know my hunting partners arent' going to do that either, and the chances of some random person popping out of the bush, grabbing my rifle and playing around with it are pretty slim. SO I still dont' see how including a loaded crossbow in a picture is unsafe.

greybark
09-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey Gatehouse , That I understand , BUT the bull elk in the refered photo has one leg already dressed off . LOL.
All I was pointing out was something which may eliminate some harm being done .
Please check out this photo before slip sliding the intent of the post .
Cheers

silvertipp
09-10-2011, 05:52 PM
i personally dont see a problem as gate house put it" its for picture purposes only ",i would highly doubt that these crossbows were not dealt with in a proper manner once the photos are dealt with.

fireguy
09-10-2011, 05:59 PM
:-? Three times this past year picture posts have "unattended" cocked and bolt loaded crossbows . Two photos have them resting on harvested animals for a pic session and one filmed resting on a log round .
:-? Now Horton has a loaded one resting on a log round for advertismt photos .
Why ? One would never leave a loaded rifle like this .
Is the crossbow unloading procedure too much of a bother ?
Cheers

I get the Idea that people should be safe when hunting, let people be safe all on their own without policing them.

Not sure why the advertising reference of the crossbow on the log round was brought up, perhaps that needs an explanation

greybark
09-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Instead of all this dancing , just check out the 2011 Elk Pictures just 19 posts back at the bottom of this page .
OK Fireguy two points .One -I don`t like cornflaks . Two - \one photo was removed when I pm the hunter and explained that resting your hand on top of a loaded crossbow during a harvest photo op could result in the string shearing off his fingers . Another pm resulted in a video being removed and the hunter thanked me .
Cheers.

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Last year I had to walk back off from a deer that I shot because a bear came in and to claim the kill. I had no doubt that that bear will get my deer one way or another and because my rifle was not loaded I had to give in. I learned my lesson and it will never happen again. I always keep a loaded rifle nearby until the deer is in the bed of my truck.The same is true when I hunt with a crossbow. When I hunt with the compound bow I take loaded rifle with me to retrieve the deer. The next bear trying to take MY deer will die. About safety. When the safety is engaged on a crossbow the string is held in place by hooks that firmly enclose the string all the way around. There is no way that that string could come loose, not even if the crossbow is accidentally dropped. I tried it by dropping a loaded crossbow from 10 feet high out of a treestand (That field test happened in a controlled situation).

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2011, 06:18 PM
http://skugg.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/can-of-worms.jpg

greybark
09-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Hey HW , Look at the photo and tell me that the saftey is on .
Cheers

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 06:29 PM

This is what we are worried about? A guy plops his crossbow onto the elk and takes a picture and this is a safety hazard?

While I cannot be certain, I think that most hunters will remove their guns or bows when they return to butchering. Be awfully awkward with a bow balancing on the animal. ;)

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0166.jpg

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 06:31 PM
...BUT the bull elk in the refered photo has one leg already dressed off . LOL.

Cheers

I looked at the picture and it is not much different from many we see. So the the elk is half dressed and then the hunters decided, "Hey lets take a picture of it with the crossbow laying on top of the kill." It might very well be be that after the picture taking the arrow was removed from the crossbow. We do not know all we see is a picture. The thing with pictures is that it never is worth a 1000 words as the saying goes. All a picture does is depicting a second of a story and as we all know most hunting pictures are styled by including weapons, calls and such. While I understand your concern for safety I don't think it's a big deal here.

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Cheers

Are you saying that you can tell if the safety is on or off, from that picture? I sure can't. Regardless, a safety ON or OFF is not one of the 4 rules of gun safety, and the hunter hasn't broken any of these 4 rules in the picture.

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Cheers

As I said in my previous post. A picture doesn't say much. Just because we can't see if the safety is on or off we should not make assumptions about the persons safety standards. This is the thing that I don't like on websites like this one , someone shows a picture and others jump to conclusions or make assumptions about what might have taken place. Take it for what it is, a picture of a dead elk with a crossbow resting on top of it, everything else is guesswork and assumptions.

j270wsm
09-10-2011, 06:48 PM
I usually bit my tongue when it comes to posts like this one. Rule number one for firearm safety should say - assume all firearms are loaded even if thier not & Always keep the muzzel pointed in the safest direction. If you look at the photo, the crossbow bolt appears to be pointed in a manner which could injure the sucessful hunter if something were to happen and cause the crossbow to fire. We all know it is highly unlikely it would happen, but IMO it was a laps in judgement to pose for the photo with the bow pointed towards the same side he is on.

fireguy
09-10-2011, 06:53 PM
still haven't answered why a picture or video of a crossbow on a log round is dangerous
me thinks there is something more to this.

kinda a give me a break posting really, have you looked closely at all the other pictures on this site to see if everyone is being safe at all times in every picture and pm'ed them to let them know what they are doing wrong?

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I usually bit my tongue when it comes to posts like this one. Rule number one for firearm safety should say - assume all firearms are loaded even if thier not & Always keep the muzzel pointed in the safest direction. If you look at the photo, the crossbow bolt appears to be pointed in a manner which could injure the sucessful hunter if something were to happen and cause the crossbow to fire. We all know it is highly unlikely it would happen, but IMO it was a laps in judgement to pose for the photo with the bow pointed towards the same side he is on.

I've seen lots of photos (including my own) where it appears as if the muzzle of the rifle is pointing right at me or my companion. In reality, we are looking at a 2 dimensional photo and the muzzles were actually pointing to one side, and in front of the subjects. I think it's the same with this picture. The hunter looks to be well behind the direction of fire, even if the crossbow were to spontaneously discharge. Which I think would be pretty damn rare.;)

greybark
09-10-2011, 07:07 PM

I agree j270 this was a laps of judgment and I am not taking the bait to go Political .
Hell if the crossbow happened to go off as is the worst would be the chance of being kneecaped .How ever if it slipped off backwards and somehow fired it would be aimed somewhere else . I fully realize the chance of it firing is very very slim to none . Anyone on here by the name of Slim ?
Cheers

Ubertuber
09-10-2011, 07:23 PM
http://www.myoddsock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MuchAdo.jpg

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Here is a picture that I have posted before. Apart form somewhat poor shooting form due to the backpack and that I normally prefer to shoot with both eyes open.....Looking only at the picture, can someone determine is this unsafe? Would this lead to grievous bodily harm or death?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-ash1/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150673_6429.jpg

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree j270 this was a laps of judgment and I am not taking the bait to go Political .
Hell if the crossbow happened to go off as is the worst would be the chance of being kneecaped .How ever if it slipped off backwards and somehow fired it would be aimed somewhere else . I fully realize the chance of it firing is very very slim to none . Anyone on here by the name of Slim ?
Cheers

No way it woudl contact the kneecap. The hunters kneecap is well behind the POA for the crossbow, although looking at a 2D picture, it could be interpreted as such. Looking carefully at the picture, it seems as if the crossbow is pointed between the elks nose and the hunters knee. This is not inherently unsafe.

greybark
09-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey GH , It`s not what you see in your photo but what a new and much younger hunter notices . I have a good idea what these young hunters would see in your last photo and I don`t think it would be flattering . LOL
Cheers

Downwind
09-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I looked at the picture and it is not much different from many we see. So the the elk is half dressed and then the hunters decided, "Hey lets take a picture of it with the crossbow laying on top of the kill." It might very well be be that after the picture taking the arrow was removed from the crossbow. We do not know all we see is a picture. The thing with pictures is that it never is worth a 1000 words as the saying goes. All a picture does is depicting a second of a story and as we all know most hunting pictures are styled by including weapons, calls and such. While I understand your concern for safety I don't think it's a big deal here.

Sorry I just had to correct this; the saying is 'a picture is WORTH a thousand words'. Back on track now, the picture in question does LOOK like it is pointed at the successful hunter but angles can be deceiving. Should it be unloaded though? I wouldn't have my rifle unloaded. There are enough bear encounters each year to tell me that it is better to be safe then sorry (or lunch for yogi).

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Hey GH , It`s not what you see in your photo but what a new and much younger hunter notices . I have a good idea what these young hunters would see in your last photo and I don`t think it would be flattering . LOL
Cheers

Okay, so what are they seeing?

ryanb
09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
This thread is proof enough why a good number of people that used to post stories and photos on this site don't anymore. Why subject yourself to the endless supply of Internet "experts"?

fireguy
09-10-2011, 08:31 PM
This thread is proof enough why a good number of people that used to post stories and photos on this site don't anymore. Why subject yourself to the endless supply of Internet "experts"?

you said it, and to actually get a pm about your photo telling you how you are doing something wrong, give me a break, I think i will have to get any photos checked before I post so I don't get trounced as being a poor hunter.

actually people like that don't bother me at all, I don't hunt so I can impress others and anyone that spends the time bashing others and their pics has some issues.

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Must be the heat. They're picking on crossbow hunters again.

Tozer has lots of work to do to shift the attitudes in that bunch, methinks. Good luck Bill.

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree completely with that.

While spirited debate is encouraged and fun, bashing is just bashing, which is why the mods have been having discussions on what should be allowed to take place on various threads, and why some comments (and members) have been deleted recently. If there is an issue to discuss, start another thread about the issue, rather than ruin some guys hunting report thread.

To his credit, greybark started a new thread discussing an issue rather than hijack a thread. I don't view him as a guy that is bashing, just a guy with an opinion, and that is fair enough. We are debating it now and I think healthy debate is good for us. Greybarks opinion seems to be that we should be cautious with weapons while taking pics, and that is valid. I tend to believe that people shouldn't jump to conclusions from a picture (which is why I posted my pic) and that is also valid.

greybark
09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey F-D , I just came back from bowhunting Elk , I had a great time and my Camp was shared by a Crossbow hunter .

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I wonder if we got rid of "bow only" seasons if the hunting community would come together better? Seems crossbow hunters get marginalized as it is now. Maybe "special" weapons seasons make some feel more "special" than others. What are your thoughts?

greybark
09-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey F-D , He was not marginalized in my camp........

Is this a highjack similar and refered to in Post #38 , be carefull this site would miss you .
Cheers

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 09:06 PM
No,this is a debate thread, not a "hunting report" thread that is being hijacked by a saint....

So what would new hunters be thinking of when they looked at my picture, anyway?

greybark
09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Hey GH , They would do a rapid assesment of just how close they have to be for that slight sight off set to hit them when they threaten to take your last snicker bar while high on a mountain top. LOL
Cheers

fireguy
09-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree completely with that.

While spirited debate is encouraged and fun, bashing is just bashing, which is why the mods have been having discussions on what should be allowed to take place on various threads, and why some comments (and members) have been deleted recently. If there is an issue to discuss, start another thread about the issue, rather than ruin some guys hunting report thread.

To his credit, greybark started a new thread discussing an issue rather than hijack a thread. I don't view him as a guy that is bashing, just a guy with an opinion, and that is fair enough. We are debating it now and I think healthy debate is good for us. Greybarks opinion seems to be that we should be cautious with weapons while taking pics, and that is valid. I tend to believe that people shouldn't jump to conclusions from a picture (which is why I posted my pic) and that is also valid.

I agree debate is ok, if I was to post a picture of myself with an animal and my loaded crossbow pointed at my head it would look bad, the point is I haven't seen that at all, and in his opening statements he was saying that a simple picture of a crossbow loaded sitting on a log was a safety issue , which hasn't been explained yet either.

If this is about being careful when we are taking pictures and not letting our guard down when it comes to our weapons, I think we all agree that we have to be safe and not forget that we have weapons in our hands even after the hunt is done. If this is simply about a cocked crossbow is always a danger and should only be cocked just before shooting, we will have to disagree.

To answer one question that was asked and not answered either is that the process of uncocking a crossbow depends on the make and model, some can be let down with your cocking rope, some have cranks that will assist in uncocking a bow and others you have to shoot a pointy stick out of it to uncock it. Depending on what you have will determine what and where you go about uncocking your crossbow. I personally carry a target bolt so I can uncock my crossbow if I wish at any time and use a cheap aluminum one so if I wreck it it is no big deal.

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey GH , They would do a rapid assesment of just how close they have to be for that slight sight off set to hit them when they threaten to take your last snicker bar while high on a mountain top. LOL
Cheers

I used to like Snickers bars, but I seem to be allergic to peanuts these days, so you won't find me packing one...

Here is the follow up to that pic

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-ash1/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150736_7251.jpg

Notice how the only 2 people present are in the photo? Hmm. how did that happen? :)

Also note the direction of the firearms in this pic.

Pics can be deceiving. Hmmm

Gateholio
09-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I agree debate is ok, if I was to post a picture of myself with an animal and my loaded crossbow pointed at my head it would look bad, the point is I haven't seen that at all, and in his opening statements he was saying that a simple picture of a crossbow loaded sitting on a log was a safety issue , which hasn't been explained yet either.

If this is about being careful when we are taking pictures and not letting our guard down when it comes to our weapons, I think we all agree that we have to be safe and not forget that we have weapons in our hands even after the hunt is done. If this is simply about a cocked crossbow is always a danger and should only be cocked just before shooting, we will have to disagree.

To answer one question that was asked and not answered either is that the process of uncocking a crossbow depends on the make and model, some can be let down with your cocking rope, some have cranks that will assist in uncocking a bow and others you have to shoot a pointy stick out of it to uncock it. Depending on what you have will determine what and where you go about uncocking your crossbow. I personally carry a target bolt so I can uncock my crossbow if I wish at any time and use a cheap aluminum one so if I wreck it it is no big deal.

I'm with you on most of these points...Agreed.

greybark
09-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey Fireguy , your last paragraph is what I was asking about . Thanks
Now in your first para please eliminate the your word "Simple" and insert the words I used "of an unattended cocked and loaded " in front of "crossbow.
Your assumptions started out with a Political slant that I want nothing to do with . In fact I have backed crossbowhunting and shared my camp and participated in 3-d shoots with them .
To answer one of these assumptioms - no where have I mentioned that cocked crossbows are always a danger and should only be cocked just before shooting .
Cheers

greybark
09-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I forgot there is quite a downside to having a crossbow hunter sharing your hunt camp .
Pulling their damn bolts out of my 3-d deer target . The crossbow hunter is 70 years old (two years younger then me ) .Next time I`ll bring a gorrila or just get F-D to pull them out .
Cheers

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I forgot there is quite a downside to having a crossbow hunter sharing your hunt camp .
Pulling their damn bolts out of my 3-d deer target . The crossbow hunter is 70 years old (two years younger then me ) .Next time I`ll bring a gorrila or just get F-D to pull them out .
Cheers

Use a layered target like The Block. Crossbow arrows pull out much easier from that target then out of a 3-D target. :)

junkyard_g
09-10-2011, 11:27 PM
As long as the safety is on I don't have an issue with it.

Bow Walker
09-11-2011, 09:51 AM
:confused: Since when did this thread start comparing rifles to crossbows with regard to safety off or on? :???:

I believe a "safed, loaded" rifle is far less likely to go off than a cocked, loaded, and "safed" crossbow. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In his opening post J_T stated that crossbows were at issue - no mention of firearms, which are a totally different subject imho.

If you must have a cocked crossbow in your picture - at least remove the bolt. If you think you need a loaded crossbow (for protection reasons) at least put it somewhere safe but easily accessible.

fireguy
09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
A "safed" loaded crossbow has the same potential to "go off" as. "Safed" loaded rifle, I don't think that there is really any difference, in both cases the safety has to be released and the trigger pullel to make it fire.
If the issue is a weapon dangerously positioned during a picture, all weapons should be included.

huntwriter
09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Never thought that a simple picture can evoke such a discussion. Shocking really how much people read into a picture and make assumptions about safety issues and all sorts of other things. I thought once the hunting season starts people would be busy with other things rather than looking for perceived faults in everyone else.

Gateholio
09-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Why is a crossbow more subject to spontaneous discharge than a rifle? FOR both to shoot it takes deliberate action of removing safety and pulling trigger.

fireguy
09-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Why is a crossbow more subject to spontaneous discharge than a rifle? FOR both to shoot it takes deliberate action of removing safety and pulling trigger.

people that don't use a crossbow don't know, they just jump to conclusions based on the look of them.

greybark
09-11-2011, 12:58 PM
A reminder this thread has nothing to do with built-in WEAPON safe facters .
Another reminder , this thread is about the location (safe or otherwise) of the unattended ,cocked and loaded crossbow and as pointed out it also applies to firearms .
Politics is so passe/.
Three similiar situations in a year , Is there a reason for this or just coincidence ?
Cheers

Gateholio
09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
A reminder this thread has nothing to do with built-in WEAPON safe facters .
Another reminder , this thread is about the location (safe or otherwise) of the unattended ,cocked and loaded crossbow and as pointed out it also applies to firearms .
Politics is so passe/.
Three similiar situations in a year , Is there a reason for this or just coincidence ?
Cheers

3 similar situations of a crossbow not violating any safety rules in a photo. Could be on purpose, could be coincidence, but the fact remains that no safety rules were broken in the photos, so there really isn't anything interesting here.

abbyfireguy
09-11-2011, 01:25 PM
The picture to my eyes doesn't have a bolt in the track. It looks like the string is cocked with no bolt loaded.
That how most guy(myself included) would hunt.
Nothing wrong with that method at all!
Maybe its my eyes but I really can't see a bolt in this crossbow picture.This would mean its cocked but not loaded.

fireguy
09-11-2011, 01:35 PM
The picture to my eyes doesn't have a bolt in the track. It looks like the string is cocked with no bolt loaded.
Maybe its my eyes but I really can't see a bolt in this crossbow picture.This would mean its cocked but not loaded.

You know, i think you are right, I have seen countless pictures like this with a cocked and unloaded crossbow, not an issue as far as I see it either.

Gateholio
09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Now that I look at it again, I tend to agree, there isn't an arrow in the crossbow. I guess I just assumed that the OP would have made sure the thing was at least loaded before starting this show ! :)

Bowzone_Mikey
09-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Just to be a bad ass I am gonna nock an arrow and take pic ....

as for the pic in question .... if that cross bow did ever dryfire ... nothing would happen except the owner would now own "about 100 little parts"

if it was loaded and due to pic quality ..couldnt see the bolt ... then Darwin will have another candidate this year ....

either way it dont effect me or anyone I know ;)

But then again ... I have never claimed I am holier than thou .... like most people do on this site

J_T
09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Maybe its my eyes but I really can't see a bolt in this crossbow picture.This would mean its cocked but not loaded. I think you're right and as far as comments from others, sometimes we just wanna take a picture. If no one is touching it, it can't go off.... But, I would like to clarify something, a 'cocked' crossbow, with no bolt in the track, is considered a 'loaded' crossbow. Just an FYI.

greybark
09-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Now that I look at it again, I tend to agree, there isn't an arrow in the crossbow. I guess I just assumed that the OP would have made sure the thing was at least loaded before starting this show ! :)

Your right there is no arrow on the crossbow , but I see a bolt there ..........
Cheers

Fisher-Dude
09-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Cheers

Sounds to me like a crossbow is a much more lethal weapon than a traditional bow. Shouldn't ethics dictate that we use the more lethal weapon?

fireguy
09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Your right there is no arrow on the crossbow , but I see a bolt there ..........
Cheers

arrow, bolt, or pointy stick, all the same thing IMHO

greybark
09-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds to me like a crossbow is a much more lethal weapon than a traditional bow. Shouldn't ethics dictate that we use the more lethal weapon?
Hey F-D , You are quite a knowedgeable hockey Fan , Who was known as the Dipsy Doodler of hockey ?

huntwriter
09-11-2011, 03:59 PM
... I would like to clarify something, a 'cocked' crossbow, with no bolt in the track, is considered a 'loaded' crossbow. Just an FYI.

Considered by whom? I just read the BC hunting regulation synopsis from front to back in the hope to find some mention of it. Nada! Furthermore, not a single Canadian province and U. S. state Crossbow Hunter Associations considers a cocked crossbow without the arrow on the launcher a loaded weapon. So again who considers a cocked crossbow a loaded weapon without the arrow on the launcher shelf? Perhaps The Traditional Bowhunters of BC or the United?

I am still shocked how much mileage a depiction on an image gets here. No wonder fewer and fewer people post pictures on this forum.

huntwriter
09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
arrow, bolt, or pointy stick, all the same thing IMHO

I call it an arrow, always have and always will. It has fletching, a nock and a broadhead or fieldpoint like any other arrow. Bolts are used to hold things together not to kill deer with. :)

fireguy
09-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Page 22 it is unlawful # 23
consider it as loaded if you want to see it that way, the same as a rifle

to carry a cocked crossbow in or on a
vehicle, or to discharge a bow from a
vehicle of any kind

frenchbar
09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey F-D , You are quite a knowedgeable hockey Fan , Who was known as the Dipsy Doodler of hockey ? the sask kid...max bentley ...

greybark
09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
the sask kid...max bentley ...

Hey Frenchbar , you are showing your age . Correct .

frenchbar
09-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Hey Frenchbar , you are showing your age . Correct .

They say he was a great player ..im not near old enough to have seen him play lol...but have read a bit about him .mikita is my fav old time Hawk ..

huntwriter
09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Page 22 it is unlawful # 23
consider it as loaded if you want to see it that way, the same as a rifle

to carry a cocked crossbow in or on a
vehicle, or to discharge a bow from a
vehicle of any kind

Thanks must have overlooked it somehow.

Fisher-Dude
09-11-2011, 05:00 PM

People may want their $120 back. :lol:

rocksteady
09-11-2011, 05:01 PM

You would think as a professional hunt writer that you would research all of your sources, etc prior to publishing....:mrgreen::mrgreen::confused::confuse d:

Gateholio
09-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Cheers

You sure you see an arrow/bolt/sharp pointy thing in that crossbow? It doesn't look like there is one in there. However, even if there was an arrow in the crossbow, it does not appear to be unsafe in any way.

Walksalot
09-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I would feel better about the picture if the hunter was holding the weapon in a safe direction which would lead one to conclude this hunter has control of this weapon. I don't think it needs to be cocked. The animal is down on the ground done deal. If it weren't dead the skinning part would get a bit of a reaction, I think. If bears are an issue then I wouldn't be standing with a crossbow for defense I would use a bloody big shotgun with huge f%#$ing slugs loaded to the nuts until I could not cram any more in.

greybark
09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I am reasonably sure there is a bolt there , and I don`t have a scope on my rifle and bows . LOL
After 76 posts few see the point that if someone bumps into that bull the weapon could easily slide backwards . Sure the chances are very slim that it would fire , But I believe this pointed out may prevent a new excited hunter of having such a lapse in judgement .
As pointed out by many Weapon instructers it is the ' unloaded weapon that kills" .
Cheers

fireguy
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm sure that the crossbow was only there for a few seconds and probably was moved a few times or even the photographer may have moved a few times to get a different angle. Reguardless this has been overly beat to death about one photo amungst hundreds with no real solution.
To just say something like perhaps everyone should remember to be safe when taking pictures, remember to put your safetys back on and watch where you point your weapon when taking pictures and dressing your animals and everyone would be happy.

greybark
09-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Hey Fireguy , your second sentence states "no real solution"
Your third sentence IS "the real solution "....

I agree time to wind this one down....
\cheers

fireguy
09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey Fireguy , your first sentence states "no real solution"
Your second sentence IS "the real solution "....

I agree time to wind this one down....
\cheers

no solution to going back in time and changing the picture

Mikey Rafiki
09-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Man that was a long read. My mother would certainly appreciate the concern my fellow hunters expressed over our well being. I took the photo. My buddy killed the bull. The crossbow was there for 5 seconds while I took the photo. It's pointed about 3 feet in front of my buddy's face, but still not the most aesthetically pleasing direction. Safety bolt in place, safety is on. Bow was stored cocked away from the kill the entire rest of the time. Cocked because I still had a tag to fill and elk were still moving around us.
I was just trying to share a story and get people excited about the season. I will be lying low in the bush for a while; don't expect any further incriminating photos.

Good luck with the season everyone!

huntwriter
09-11-2011, 08:57 PM
You would think as a professional hunt writer that you would research all of your sources, etc prior to publishing....:mrgreen::confused:

Probably should have but this is not publishing, it's only a discussion. I really had no clue that someone actually would make such a stupid regulation. However, I should have known better, because years ago there was a stipulation in the synopsis that required that turkeys have to be shot with 00 or larger shot. Really makes you think at times who advices them. :mrgreen::confused:

peashooter
09-11-2011, 08:57 PM
yeah but did you wash your hands after using the bathroom?

grab yer pitchforks and torches lets move on to the next sucker to post a pic.

geez, you boys need to get out in the bush!!!

greybark
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I hope the mods close this one as only hyper non-sence with no positive value is showing up ....

Mikey Rafiki
09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Just to clarify, there are no hard feelings whatsoever. I understand greybark's intent and I find it to be quite honorable. Unfortunately I was not available to respond immediately and the thread took on a life of it's own. Peoples opinions are strong, maybe due to the slow start of the season. Talking about safety is better than not talking about it.

Once again, good luck to you and yours.

Mike

aggiehunter
09-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Hey Old Grey...having some fun are ya'....just got back from Elk camp too....has some great Dad showing his son the way's of the bowhunt...riding by on their quads with a cocked crossbow....and on juniors quad too....can hardly wait until quad registry.

greybark
09-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Hey Aggie , No fun here ......
Cheers

J_T
09-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Probably should have but this is not publishing, it's only a discussion. I really had no clue that someone actually would make such a stupid regulation. However, I should have known better, because years ago there was a stipulation in the synopsis that required that turkeys have to be shot with 00 or larger shot. Really makes you think at times who advices them. :mrgreen::confused:
Yes, I suppose you should have confirmed the statement, rather than make some assumed accusation of an elitist comment. I guess the question is, if 'you' - a professional hunting writer and instructor - are unaware of this, how many other crossbow users are? I was simply trying to enlighten. I thought that's partly what this site was about.

The Hermit
09-12-2011, 07:38 AM
FD - Just back from elk camp where we had two guys using crossbows (one 82 and the other 28 ), two trad-bow-traitors that switched to compounds this year (you would fall off your quad if I told you their names) and four trad bow shooters (including me). Funny thing, no one got shot, nary a harsh word was flung around the campfire, and we all extend our hunting seasons by picking up a rifle once in a while!

I found this pic of you the other day... <razzz> http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/dogtail.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/ElkCamp2011/IMG_0187.jpg

rocksteady
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes, I suppose you should have confirmed the statement, rather than make some assumed accusation of an elitist comment. I guess the question is, if 'you' - a professional hunting writer and instructor - are unaware of this, how many other crossbow users are? I was simply trying to enlighten. I thought that's partly what this site was about.

Thanks for the second of the motion JT.....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

greybark
09-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Checking back (re-bolt in crossbow) , lets see Rocksteady---- No egg there !!!!!!!!!!

Fisher-Dude
09-12-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/ElkCamp2011/IMG_0187.jpg

You're always rubbing your horn. Don't you know you'll go blind from that? :mrgreen:

09-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Why again was it people get scared of posting pictures?