PDA

View Full Version : What did you see 1st day out????

Cyrus
09-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Not that the day is over yet but its already close to 20 degrees in 100 Mile so too hot to continue..Ended up seeing 13 does this morning which is not too bad considering the heat, full moon, and a bit of a good breeze this morning. also a large buck track on my tire tracks from yesterday...so he's out there. Back out this evening for the last 30 min of daylight..

Rub
09-10-2011, 10:59 AM
saw one 4 point, two 3 points, a fork and 5 does, 4 point left to soon to get a shot, going back tommorow see if he's still around looked like he's been in the area for awhile.
Rub

kodeman
09-10-2011, 11:52 AM
saw a cowmoose and a calf, 5 whitetail does and small whitetail buck that was just too fast.

koothunter
09-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Still up on the mountain. Ran into a grizz 10min into my hike this morning. Saw a ram get shot and had a bull elk 50 yards away but he wouldn't show himself. All in all a good day so far.

Amphibious
09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
six moose, two bears, two caribou....

tash
09-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Spooked one very upset elk (too dark to see what it was), saw one cow elk, one owl and one mouse....

Crazy hot here too.

adamgarbett
09-10-2011, 12:30 PM
nuthin its to damn hot. my bucks are still feeding/moving at night

The Dude
09-10-2011, 12:33 PM
A half dozen two-points on the sun deck next to my work.
**Sigh**

riflebuilder
09-10-2011, 12:38 PM
3 bull elk, 1 a six way deep in a big hole just below the 3 Grizzly's, so he is safe I was by my self and if I went down and shot him all I would of done is feed the bears.

Jelvis
09-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Dint see any four legged deer cuz I dint get out deer hunting today lol.
Hotter then haideeece 33 degrees cel see us in Kammy wammy ding dong.
Jelvis .. A hunka hunka burnin leee ove ... Hot, dry and super sunny honey.

LeverActionJunkie
09-10-2011, 02:09 PM
I was only able to hunt for about an hour and a half since I started late and the dog was getting too hot. Saw two grouse, shot both of them :) Both on the wing and both retrieved well by my little buddy. I enjoyed the stroll in the sun.:)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/LeverActionJunkie/DSC03485.jpg

burger
09-10-2011, 02:19 PM
A half dozen two-points on the sun deck next to my work.
**Sigh**

How nice were their points??? lol

pg83
09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I'll go with my first day and a half since we got up to the alpine late in the day. 1st evening we saw 1 billy goat, seven does and fawns, two 2 pointers. Next morning we spotted one 2 point and one 4 point(smallish), we also saw two more billy goats of which one is now in my freezer. Story/pics coming in a day or three.

frenchbar
09-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Its to dam Hot out to hunt ..plus i would look like a tool prowlin around in my shorts and crocs lol 34 degrees out right now and the cold caribou beer is tasteing pretty dam good . but i still saw a couple nice bucks coming down off the mountain to water at the river this morning at work .

palmer
09-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Two Elk, one Mulie, three bears and a cougar. And hot like summer....

adamgarbett
09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
caribou beer.....good god mann treat yourself to a budweiser in this heat :mrgreen:

frenchbar
09-10-2011, 04:09 PM
caribou beer.....good god mann treat yourself to a budweiser in this heat :mrgreen:

ive got a couple of those 2..lol

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 04:43 PM
It has been a great morning for me. Went to a new spot, private land, that receives no hunting pressure. Unfortunately, I didn't had much time to scout in the previous months but what I observed this morning at daybreak was very encouraging to say the least.

Deer sign everywhere leading in and out of the river bottom and onto alfalfa and barley fields. Saw two big black bears, 5 mule deer (two of them were bucks, one spike and one decent 4 X 5) a bit further into the river bottom I saw a small herd of whitetail deer, maybe six or seven deer, does with fawns and a couple small bucks. Walking (Still hunting) back to the truck I set the video camera up when I noticed a huge whitetail buck jumping over the fence and disappear in the river bottom thicket. That's one of the problems when you film your own hunts, when you set up all the equipment and don't pay attention whats around you. Easily could have shot him if I had the rifle in the hand instead of the video camera in one and tripod in the other.

Went home at around 9 am as it got very hot. Looking out my office window the thermometer shows 45C and that is on the shade. I'll go back this evening timing it that i am there a half hour before sundown. It's just to dam hot for anything to move until almost nightfall. One thing I noticed is that on that property almost every doe had twin fawns and one whitetail doe even had triplets. It seems despite a wet cold spring most fawns have survived just fine.

eastkoot
09-10-2011, 04:43 PM
2 cow elk and a bobcat.. and 2 mulies and fawn in the back yard.. too hot to do any real hunting.. Oh, she'll be pissed I posted her pic!!
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1030764.jpg

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Went home at around 9 am as it got very hot. Looking out my office window the thermometer shows 45C and that is on the shade.

Any hotter and you'd say so. :roll:

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Cow and calf moose, mule doe and unknown companion with her, one charcoal black bear, and...the monster colour phase bear I've been chasing for 1 1/2 years, about 150 yards off a block road. Watched him for over an hour through the spotter, thought about a 30 degree day and a fat fall bear, and let him walk.

Will someone please kick me in the ass, 'cause I know I'm going to try kicking myself. I've been after this same bear since he gave me the slip in spring 2010. But I just knew I couldn't get him home without having him spoil in this heat. Damn it! Hey Rishu, heat ruined my hunt!

ETA - with The Hound's help, I did pop a willow grouse! :-D

JoshCampbell
09-10-2011, 06:29 PM
went out by castlegar seen 2 turkeys, a mulie doe, and shot 3 grouse.

skinarama
09-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Didn't see squat. Did limit out on grouse with my partner though. Way too hot out! Stupid moon doesn't help either!

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Didn't see squat. Did limit out on grouse with my partner though. Way too hot out! Stupid moon doesn't help either!

What has that to do with the moon? I just come in from the evening hunt, saw at least 20 whitetails out in the field, minus the buck I want and a bear, to small to kill, walking right under my treestand.

M.Dean
09-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I saw dust, breathed dust, pissed dust, and choked on dust today! Road the Quads on some dusty trails, man was it dusty!! No Deer, No Moose, No Grouse, nothing!!! By 10 O Clock it was around 25 degree's out, should've went to the beach for the day! But, were going out before first light tomorrow, got the Quads gassed up and pressure washed, gun's cleaned, Bino's so we can see out of them again, so we'll see how it go's! Sure be nice to see a bit of rain, then I can bitch about the mud!

mikeboehm
09-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Me and sean fallory saw 4 elk and a monster 5 point whitie that jumped up 10 feet in front of us. We had no chance to nock an arrow all we could do was drop our jaws and watch it run away

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Went to a new spot, private land, that receives no hunting pressure.

What has that to do with the moon? I just come in from the evening hunt, saw at least 20 whitetails out in the field, minus the buck I want and a bear, to small to kill, walking right under my treestand.

Hmmm.... I wonder why you saw so many deer? Kind of hard to believe your findings on how the moon does not effect ungulate behaviours. You do hunt private land often, do you not? Just sayin'.

Shooter
09-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Saw 5 does and 2 spikers today that was all. See what tomorrow drags in I guess

illbuyourcatfish
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Saw a couple two points, 9 does and 6 grouse. Ive definitely had worse days.

longstonec
09-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Bunch of seagulls and some coho. Then I saw some more seagulls. Oh and the catching is great up here.

pin_head
09-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Played a game of cat and mouse in a cut block for about an hour with a wiley 3 point that wouldn't show himself long enough to confirm a count. Saw another 3x2 and a doe. Good to see some critters anyway, hopefully next time a legal one will show up!

Sharkey
09-10-2011, 10:05 PM
18 whitetail does, 4 dink muleys, some huge-assed grouse, a mitt-full of squirrels, 8 rabbits, 2 Conservation Officers and an RCMP Roadblock on the way home. Oh and lots of dust.

adamgarbett
09-10-2011, 10:25 PM
ohhh, i forgot about the c.o./rcmp festival opening weekends/weeks...... :-| good times :-|

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Hmmm.... I wonder why you saw so many deer? Kind of hard to believe your findings on how the moon does not effect ungulate behaviours. You do hunt private land often, do you not? Just sayin'.

I hunt about 90% on Crown or public land. The moon does have some affect on deer movement but not nealry as much as some think. Most of the deer movement I've seen today was right at daybreak, a half hour later it was still. This evening deer started to move right at dusk. That was because of the heat not because of the moon. In areas that receive a lot of hunting pressure deer move more at night, regardless of weather or moon. Think of it this way. All year long it is quiet in the bush then September 10 comes and with it a lot of traffic what would you do if you were a deer? This thread is a good example of how little the moon affects game movement. You seen nothing and I hope that changes soon for you but others seen lots of game while other seen a few animals yet the moon was everywhere the same.

Boner
09-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Had an interesting morning. I had my LEH bull moose down 15 minutes after sunrise.
Seen 3 bulls, 1 cow, and a black bear.

jonz
09-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Saw a group of 3 big grouse but not a single deer in the bush. Covered a ton of area today in eastern region 8. Did see 1 black bear but that was about it. Heat and the full moon definite issues today.

moose2
09-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Had an interesting morning. I had my LEH bull moose down 15 minutes after sunrise.
Seen 3 bulls, 1 cow, and a black bear.
I am looking forward to the pictures if you planned on posting them.
Thanks
Mike

doubled
09-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Cow/calf moose, 5 muley does/fawns, whitey buck, whitey doe/fawn and a HUGE porcupine that scared the sh!t out of me while I was walking back to the truck. Pics and vids to follow shortly.

Kalum
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Bugs, bugs and more bugs... went up into the alpine to glass for goats. As soon as I broke out of the timber though I couldn't see for the bugs. Wasn't paying that much attention on the way down and spooked a nice blackie munching on some blue berries about 25yds in front of me. He went crashing away through the brush and after letting my heart beat come back down to a level where I wasn't going to keel over from a heart attack heded back to the truck and a cold one...

proguide66
09-11-2011, 08:37 AM
I saw a 5X5,3X2 and a do while going to grab coffee...:shock:...sun was hot and they were just heading for bedding bush.No velvet , orange coats...yummy..:mrgreen:..oh , and in a driveway just north of Macdonalds in Pembey!

Jonas111
09-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Went out first thing and the trail I wanted to go in had three tents and two trucks parked right at the trail entrance. So I went to the next trail and there was five trucks parked along the trail. Then decided to drive my side x side to find an area to walk around. It seemed everywhere I went I saw a truck or quad.

So i saw 9 trucks and six quads. Absolutely no game. I guess thats opening day in my area or I am just really good at tracking other hunters. Lol.

ELK Seeker
09-11-2011, 09:36 AM
I too saw many many hunters , vehicles and quads. Kinda crazy how busy the bush is you cant go a mile without running into another man with a gun. WAY TOO BUSY AND HOT FOR ME:)

bear buster
09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
not my first day by far, but I called in a spiker bull elk, a 3x4, 2 cows, had a decent looking bull bust me as I got up to walk out, seen 2 legal moose(tag cut already) and 3 cows, past up a nice 150ish whitetail, and brought home 8 grouse. fall is here and the critters were out hard this morning.

Young Gun
09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
2 4 point whitetail bucks that were gone before i could shoot, 2 spike mule deer, 1 2 point mule deer and 5 does, not bad for a fairly warm morning.

rab89
09-11-2011, 12:21 PM
my first day out this morning, 2 mule deer does is all unfortunately, pretty hot out today, not much happening once the sun is out.

604redneck
09-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Saw 3 whitey does at about 4:45 am yesterday morning 1 mulie doe about 9 am lots of tracks on the road...10 am was far too hot 25+ degrees, decided to head home to grab a case of beer and do some long awaited nothing. shot 3 grouse on my way out of the bush they're nice and plump so thats good i guess. next weekend looks like it will be about 10+ degrees cooler during the day in my area anyways so i think ill save my fuel until atleast then may go for a hike today with the dog for some more grouse but we'll see.

Cyrus
09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
found the last 30 min of daylight better than the morning...saw 18 deer..just one small buck...and a bull moose. this morning 2 does...got warm a lot faster than yesterday morning. I had taken the week off but am going back to work because hunting in this stuff sucks!!

beni
09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Woodpeckers...

One Bunny

Was out looking for big ol blues

I went fishing for most of the day, got skunked there too... haha

Grousedaddy
09-11-2011, 05:09 PM
10 grouse , 1 4 point on main road black bear lots of does and only one pair of hunters in region 3 near kamloops got very hot by 830 am so back out nxt sat super early for that buck guess the grouse will hold me for the week good luck to all

Wrayzer
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
2nd day was better than first, didnt see anything until later in the morning, we ended up seeing 8 Elk and 5 deer, warm weather didnt seem to phase them.

dave_fras
09-11-2011, 05:31 PM
last night we were chasing around a bull elk... he had at least 5... but we just couldnt get a good enough look to see if he had the 6th... then this morning i was back on the elk.. my buddy didnt pick me up at 5 like he was suppose to... so i headed out to an area that i was bear hunting int he spring... we ended up seeing 7 elk.. one small 3 point bull... 2 moose and 2 whitey bucks... just small 4 points tho!... ill be heading back to the same area in 10 min!

adamgarbett
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
good luck dave.

i seen a 3x3,2x2 and a spiker whitey in a lil bachelor group that busted me and gave a million whistles then they all stood and stared me down. I thought aboot shooting the 3 pt. but said screw it, its to early in the season. Headed back on my way after my walk took a drive about and seen some muley does and unidentified white tail that took off like lightning(lets call it a big buck lol). Then i saw a cow moose with twins. All this and i still made it to my buddys camp in time for eggs benny..... I'd say it was a good day. Now im pondering a last light drive thru cut block ally?????

Lillypuff
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I saw a 20 inch rainbow and a 22 inch rainbow dancing on the end of my line. Hotweather cancelled a backpack hunt for the weekend

dave_fras
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
well so much for hunting tonite!... i went outside...and my tire was flat!!... only on the bottom tho haha

LYKTOHUNT
09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
one bull moose that came home with us, well actually it went to the cooler very quickly, pretty big one for around here, hanging at the cooler 686 lb, damn it was hot. today a couple of whitetail does and a grizz

pembified
09-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Couple of Grouse. A bunch of moose poo, and the rear leg bones from possibly a young moose. In a MU with no OS on moose.
No deer here.

358mag
09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Went out first thing and the trail I wanted to go in had three tents and two trucks parked right at the trail entrance. So I went to the next trail and there was five trucks parked along the trail. Then decided to drive my side x side to find an area to walk around. It seemed everywhere I went I saw a truck or quad.

So i saw 9 trucks and six quads. Absolutely no game. I guess thats opening day in my area or I am just really good at tracking other hunters. Lol.
Yup same thing too hunters + camps every were and hotter the the hubs of hell makes you wonder what there going to doing if the shot something couldn't even eat a sandwich without the hornet-wasps doing a attack

Fisher-Dude
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Didn't see another hunter all day, and only 2 yesterday. 6 bears, 4 flatty mulies, and limited out on grouse. The GF enjoyed the scenery and the teriyaki grouse stirfry for supper. :D

Fisher-Dude
09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Yup same thing too hunters + camps every were and hotter the the hubs of hell makes you wonder what there going to doing if the shot something couldn't even eat a sandwich without the hornet-wasps doing a attack

You should quit chasing the outfitter's gutpiles around, and find a new spot with fewer hunters! :wink:

emerson
09-11-2011, 10:18 PM
1 grouse yesterday, 1 today.

OutWest
09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Hiked in on the 9th. Didn't see another hunter in 3 days. Mind you, we never do.

adamgarbett
09-12-2011, 06:05 AM
NICK: no animals either im guessing????

kenadiens
09-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Saw 3 whitetail bucks by 6:30 am, one of which is in the freezer. But what really got my heart pumping was the buck that busted me when I was hunkered down waiting for the sun to rise. The moon had just disapeared at 4:40 so it was pitch black. I was resting my eyes (starting to doze off) when a deer snorted and wheezed not 10 or 15 feet from me. It scared the crap out of me and I never did see what it was, too dark to see 5 feet in front of me.

scttcanuck
09-12-2011, 06:36 AM
5 muley bucks (4 2pts and 3x3)
About 10 does
Spiker Moose and Cow
Coyote

moose2
09-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Saw 3 whitetail bucks by 6:30 am, one of which is in the freezer. But what really got my heart pumping was the buck that busted me when I was hunkered down waiting for the sun to rise. The moon had just disapeared at 4:40 so it was pitch black. I was resting my eyes (starting to doze off) when a deer snorted and wheezed not 10 or 15 feet from me. It scared the crap out of me and I never did see what it was, too dark to see 5 feet in front of me.

I was wondering if you were going to post a picture and story I would like to see it if you are.
Thanks Mike

OutWest
09-12-2011, 07:18 AM
NICK: no animals either im guessing????

Only elk, moose, muleys and even a few whities.

kenadiens
09-12-2011, 07:32 AM
The pics are in the thread "new trail cam photos".

blink1
09-12-2011, 07:50 AM
isaw nothing in ruby creek sunday morning just loads of people doing the same thing as me :(

Fishhound
09-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Seen a huge muley come over a ridge right towards me, thought I ws finally going to get a nice trophy, buck turns broadside a 250 yards he is only a 3x3, 2 does follow him they are bouncing around all nervous, then a wolf comes running out, deer gone. also seen several small bucks and does very few fawns, a bobscat and a black bear, it was way too hot 33 degrees

steelheadSABO
09-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Three bears three wolves three grouse and a doe

.330 Dakota
09-12-2011, 08:11 AM
2 cow elk and a bobcat.. and 2 mulies and fawn in the back yard.. too hot to do any real hunting.. Oh, she'll be pissed I posted her pic!!
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1030764.jpg

Who will be pissed? The lady or the deer? lol