PDA

View Full Version : 7-16 A moose hunting

levind
09-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any information that they would like to share on the area. Any new cuts and locations? what the road conditions are? Should we bring our 12ft alum. boat not sure if it is worth it or not. It will be our first time in the area so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin

dakoda62
09-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Hodda lake road is open to about 19 mile the bridges have been removed. Access south of Mackenzie junction is washed out. Tacheeds lake is open. Lots of sign when we there 2 weeks ago. Looks like they were moving from the powerline to the river and back. River is probably running at 5 knots. Not many places to put a boat in though.

emerson
09-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Bring the boat; with a couple of people you can manhandle it. Being on the water cuts down on the crowding and gives you access to areas that are not accessible any other way.

levind
09-10-2011, 04:16 PM
thanks guys. where is a good place to camp. any lakes with a forestry camp ground? does tacheeda lake have camp areas or bill lake or goose lake?

dakoda62
09-10-2011, 05:09 PM
area around tacheeda has quite a few camps sites. Hodda lake road has 3 or 4 open spots no tables or anything though.

levind
09-11-2011, 05:30 PM
should we concentrate in the area accessed by hodda lake road or in the tacheeda area? It looks like we have to go back to the highway to get from one road to another is that right or do they connect somewhere?

dakoda62
09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
No connection. you will have to go back to the highway. However the power line does run thru the area. dont know if its all accessable though.

levind
09-15-2011, 01:02 PM
has there been in active logging in hodda lake road area or the tacheeda lake area in the last few years. Looks like most of the cuts are old from google maps anyways.

dakoda62
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
New cuts in 17c but none in A on the Hodda not sure about all of tacheeda though

levind
09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
thanks dakoda. how thick are the old cuts now on the hodda lake area. are the cuts unhuntable?

lightmag
09-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Hodda cuts are old and grown up , very hard to hunt, I've spent 5 days nights in there this year , I'd go to tacheeda side or quad the pwr line thru. If you have a boat , great but 9.9hp is NOT enough pwr , you barely move .

Dhegg
09-15-2011, 05:11 PM
last time i was in that area there was a fair bit of log truck traffic passed the camp sites on the mainline. Took 2 nice black bear from there this spring. nice area

dakoda62
09-15-2011, 05:44 PM
A lot are overgrown but some are any where from 3 years to several years old. A fellow that lives in the area said to hunt the area adjacent to the river. After about 19 Klicks though they have removed the bridges. Crossable in an ATV though with a bit of work you could get a truck across. Im giveing away secrets here but there is an old steel bridge just prior to first removed bridge, there is a swamp to the west adjacent to the river, showed a lot of sign and active trails.

levind
09-15-2011, 07:50 PM
lightmag is the river current that fast right now? we have a 8hp 2 stroke and a new 15 4 stroke both props so a little worried to take the newer 4 stroke and hit the river with it.

lightmag
09-16-2011, 07:50 AM
lightmag is the river current that fast right now? we have a 8hp 2 stroke and a new 15 4 stroke both props so a little worried to take the newer 4 stroke and hit the river with it.

well we were in a 10 foot zodiak with a 9.9, moving at about 4-6 km/hr up river, not sure if an aluminum would cut thru it better as we plowed water pretty good. Best bet is go up river before first light or early afternoon and then float back calling, should have good odds that way. there is a great camp spot down the hodda i'm thinking 19-21 km down on the right. right on the river, boat access (drag it down) great spot.

heads up, TIE YOUR BOAT UP!!! from experience, river came up 3-4 feet over night and we lost our zodiak and motor!! never recovered it lol , lesson learned!! that spot will also give you close access to the spot around the "steel bridge" beam ;)

when you going?? will most likely be in there again as my buddy has a bull draw until sept 30th.

levind
09-16-2011, 08:36 AM
we will be there sept 30 for 10 days. we have the oct 1 draw. If you guys are going to be there for a few days after the 30th let me know and will get together have a beer or 2. Think we are going to be camping at the tacheeda lake then splitting up and working the hodda lake are a and the tacheeda area to find some spots to concentrate on.

lightmag
09-16-2011, 10:48 AM
we will be there sept 30 for 10 days. we have the oct 1 draw. If you guys are going to be there for a few days after the 30th let me know and will get together have a beer or 2. Think we are going to be camping at the tacheeda lake then splitting up and working the hodda lake are a and the tacheeda area to find some spots to concentrate on.

forsure, pm me what to look for, truck/tent etc and name :)

Gr8 white hunter
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
forsure, pm me what to look for, truck/tent etc and name :)

black chev 4/4 3/4 ton d max reg cab black canopy

levind
09-16-2011, 01:41 PM
2 weeks before i'm in the area. should be a lot of fun and i hope we can put some meat in the freezer. cant go 2 years with out a moose i hope lol.