PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Switching Question

scttcanuck
09-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi All,

I recently was given 120 rds of Nosler Partion 180gr for my 300 Win Mag from a buddy who has switched guns.

2 weeks ago I sighted in my Tikka T3 300 Win Mag with Fusion 180gr and it was shooting beautifully.*

My question is this:

Is it unethical to hunt with my new Nosler Partion 180gr with my rifle sighted with Fusions 180gr?*

Otherwise I guess I'll grab some Fusions on the way out hunting.*

Thanks,

madrona sh
09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Why can't you check how it shoots the Nosler bullets?
Don't fear change embrace it. (Try the Noslers)

RJ
09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Definitely re sight for the ammo you are using, it could be anywhere on the map, even off paper.

Drillbit
09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
It'll be close enough for a hunting situation. I know guys that load their gun with a random assortment of shells and have shot game year after year.

No pricetag on peace of mind though, so you might want to try it before you go, or use fusions till you check it out.

Singleshotneeded
09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, definitely go to the range and shoot the Noslers, make sure the rifle likes them and shoots decent groups.
The thing is that the Noslers will probably have a different point of impact(POI) compared to the Fusions, and if
you need to make a long shot you'll be off if you're not sighted in for the ammo you're shooting. I'd stick to the
Fusions until you've emptied the box, then sight in for the Noslers and shoot them until you run out. That's if
your rifle likes them, if your groups are big then sell them, and go back to Fusions.

scttcanuck
09-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks. Makes sense.

doubled
09-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Shoot some before you need to depend on them. My gun shoots several brands quite differently so I always hunt with what I lined up with.

1/2 slam
09-08-2011, 04:42 PM
It'll be close enough for a hunting situation. I know guys that load their gun with a random assortment of shells and have shot game year after year.

No pricetag on peace of mind though, so you might want to try it before you go, or use fusions till you check it out.

Maybe, maybe not. But I'd never go out without checking it. I've had guns that shot great with one brand and could barely hit the paper with the same weight of another brand

Hiker
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Will the powder & primer be the same? Let us know how close they are.

280 77
09-08-2011, 07:46 PM
I was dealing with a similar situation myself for my 7mm-08 , so I headed to the range this morning. Result , the 140 grn. fusions were impacting about 4.5 " higher than the 140grn. partitions at 110 yds. So I sighted in for the partitions because I feel it is a better overall hunting bullet.