PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

Walksalot
09-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey guys, as everyone knows this Saturday is the opening day of rifle hunting season. With the conditions we are experiencing weather wise we must exercise caution as to where we park our vehicles. The catalytic converters get very hot so make sure we don't park in tall grass as it is dry as tinder out there.

doubled
09-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Good call. Will be walking the majority of the day so no worries there.

walks with deer
09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
wear orange aswell

Paulyman
09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Any thoughts on animal activity,will they be harder to find due to the high temperatures?

doubled
09-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Focus on dawn and dusk. During the heat of the day, they will be bedded in the thick stuff. Any where around water would be a good idea as well.

jessonml
09-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Hope this isn't a thread hijack but it seems relevant. Yes I agree it is very important to watch the cat. this weekend parking in brush... seriously.
I plan on getting up in the alpine in region 8 what are peoples thoughts on that I agree with doubled on the focus on dawn and dusk and around water. Is it smart to get as high as possible or to hang lower to tree line? This will be the warmest I have ever hunted this area but I have been there lots. My buddy was up there last weekend and only saw one deer though and hunted dawn and dusk. Any tips for alpine hunting in heat? Excited for the weekend even if it is just a hike and the heat keeps the mulies in the thick stuff.
Thanks,

Matt

Singleshotneeded
09-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Up high but still below the tree line, with water nearby, and right at dawn is your best chance. If you're watching an area
during the day then make it a water source, the deer sometimes go for a drink at mid-day...position yourself to see as
much of the creek or pond as your can, whilst keeping yourself hidden.

09-08-2011, 12:29 PM
It doesnt matter to me,,,,,, My Bloody friend who is a hunter is getting married this freeking weekend.!!!!!!!

doubled
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Hope this isn't a thread hijack but it seems relevant. Yes I agree it is very important to watch the cat. this weekend parking in brush... seriously.
I plan on getting up in the alpine in region 8 what are peoples thoughts on that I agree with doubled on the focus on dawn and dusk and around water. Is it smart to get as high as possible or to hang lower to tree line? This will be the warmest I have ever hunted this area but I have been there lots. My buddy was up there last weekend and only saw one deer though and hunted dawn and dusk. Any tips for alpine hunting in heat? Excited for the weekend even if it is just a hike and the heat keeps the mulies in the thick stuff.
Thanks,

Matt

We were out last weekend at around 5000 feet and there was deer everywhere in the morning. During the day, they were in the thick stuff.

Cyrus
09-08-2011, 01:06 PM
wish we had the weather we had in July/August for the season start...knew this heatwave would happen...

4 point
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Get them real, real early in the morning or go home. They'll be in the thick stuff for sure with water close by during the day with the temps we're having.

gREEn7o0
09-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Good info in this thread, was actually looking up this info last night on a few different sites.. About to partake in my first hunt, I'm quite excited.

doubled
09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Good luck Green 700

Islandeer
09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Early,hike,sweat,sit,glass.hike,sweat..... open cooler and crack an iced down bevy.

.300WSMImpact!
09-08-2011, 04:58 PM
It doesnt matter to me,,,,,, My Bloody friend who is a hunter is getting married this freeking weekend.!!!!!!!

who does that, you should show up in full camo covered in elk scent

jessonml
09-08-2011, 10:24 PM
We were out last weekend at around 5000 feet and there was deer everywhere in the morning. During the day, they were in the thick stuff.

Good to hear ... that is the elevation I will be at. Also know the water source in the area too so I will be looking for thirsty bucks after it gets warm.

juiceterboost
09-08-2011, 10:35 PM
thanks for this my hunting season is getting shorter and shorter by the day it looks as though itll be getting shorter as well I work for forestry and with these hot dry conditions they are keeping all crews as long as possible If all hunters are diligent with their campfires and careful with their vehicles i may get a respite and some time off for hunting. ps campfire ban is still on in Lillooet Lytton and Merrit just so ya know

5 spike
09-09-2011, 04:20 AM
married on opening weekend oh my.

doubled
09-09-2011, 05:42 AM
married on opening weekend oh my.

Screwed for opening day for the rest of his life now!!!!

Walksalot
09-09-2011, 06:32 AM
The lucky bugger who gets married on opening day of hunting season gets to start every hunting season off with a bang.

doubled
09-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Lucky????? I am not so sure about that. A buddy got married on the Aug long weekend which was one of our annual fishing trip weekends. haven't seen him at that trip since.

thepitchedlink
09-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Man I'm lucky. Chatting with my wife the other day on the phone.....on our anniversary. neither of us metioned it, as we both forgot!!! Got the email the next day saying how hopeless we both are....Love it!

Walksalot
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Lucky????? I am not so sure about that. A buddy got married on the Aug long weekend which was one of our annual fishing trip weekends. haven't seen him at that trip since.

Bugger!! Now that is pretty harsh.

09-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Yep, It even got my Dad a bit. He has to look after my dog while im gone! But hes retired im sure he will make up for lost time somewhere.

That elk scent thing has me thinking though!
Right, I was also in the East Koots this past week Fly fishing. We were supposed to be over there a week later to encompas opening weekend. And even better My birthday is the 11th. I was supposed to be hunting Whitetails for the day with my wife, now i will be hung over for my birthday in a hotel in Vancouver.

so have a good opener boys i wanna see some bucks to get me goin'

walnutz
09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
x2!!!! I had a feeling this was going to happen also!