PDA

View Full Version : On a lighter note...

CRS
09-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Heading out this w/e in the HEAT:icon_frow for the opener. This will be my son (7) and I's second "annual" hunting trip. He's been talking about it, making lists (what stuffies he's taking:mrgreen:), what tracks we'll see, poop (if you have a youngster you'll know how inportant this is!!) and what time of day we should be hunting, for 2 weeks. It'll be too hot to bother going after anything big, but some scouting for my fall trip and maybe a few grouse and some fishing will be the order. He told his teacher today that "...I have to miss Friday, because I'm going hunting with my dad..." It got me to thinking. THIS is how most of us fell in love with hunting and the outdoors. It IS what calls and pulls us to do it over a lifetime, and WHY we want to pass it on. I beleive that "teaching" someone to HUNT, helps you relearn what you've been taught.
It can bring back the memories of long truck rides, more stars than you had ever seen before, the first time dad let you shoot his .22 ....then he gave it to you. Trying, and failing, to dress your first grouse, rabbit or squirrel. Driving the truck down a dirt trail. Sitting down to dinner with game that you put on the table, and the pride you felt for doing so.

Another season is upon us.

Good luck to all!

"We are the minority, who share a common love, of an art society has lost touch of." - ?

THIS IS WHY I HUNT.;)

Hydrojet
09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Amen brother!

ROEBUCK
09-07-2011, 06:56 PM
good luck to you both !

Squamch
09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Amen. And good on ya for passing it on.

On a related note, my hunting partner was brought up in a house where water pistols were banned, because they encourage violence. Video games were fine though. Anyways, he's told me he remembers in grade 8, the first week of school, hearing me walk up to the teacher and ask for the next two weeks of work, because I was going hunting with my dad, and thinking to himself "Man, that's so cool, I wish my dad did stuff like that."
He tried shooting the first time after we'd graduated, and I'm gonna do my damnedest to put him into his first deer this year.

gibblewabble
09-07-2011, 07:09 PM
This is the second year I have a built in hunting partner who actually packs a rifle and it is great, your right it brings back memories of being out with my grandfather. I never got to go with my dad and its pretty cool to take out my eldest and it is way easier to take time away from the family.

Its the beginning of christmas for us and the next 3 months are going to be great as they always are.

4 point
09-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Good on you CRS. More dads, uncles, granddads should be doing the same thing.

kayjayess
09-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank you for that! Well said my friend. I just got my 10 year old shooting this past weekend and I hear what you are saying!

adamgarbett
09-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I can't wait to take my daughter out and pass on the traditions. Thanks for the thread

Big Lew
09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Great stuff! That's the way it should be! My Wife and I would take our 2 kids out of school for 2 weeks hunting every fall until sixth grade. (It then was too hard for them to catch up their missed work) It involved tent camping, everything cooked over an open fire, moonlight walks under masses of stars, moose, deer, grouse, duck and goose hunting in the Cariboo. We used the same camps every year, and cowboys from Gang Ranch would ride in to visit....some of the best memories of my life, and our grown-up kids still talk of the good times.

f350ps
09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
It's kinda funny that kids can make ya really remember why we do waht we do. Enjoy it while you can cuz they grow up way to fast! K

CRS
09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Amen. And good on ya for passing it on.

On a related note, my hunting partner was brought up in a house where water pistols were banned, because they encourage violence. Video games were fine though. Anyways, he's told me he remembers in grade 8, the first week of school, hearing me walk up to the teacher and ask for the next two weeks of work, because I was going hunting with my dad, and thinking to himself "Man, that's so cool, I wish my dad did stuff like that."
He tried shooting the first time after we'd graduated, and I'm gonna do my damnedest to put him into his first deer this year.

Right on, hope you guys put one down!

bear buster
09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
great post, I have 3 students of my own to teach, 3, 6, 8. love it, and all the memories it brings back. good luck to you.

Glassman
09-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Enjoy it. Kids are great to teach the great outdoors to. Keep taking them out. Just wait till they bring home a deer and you got skunked. you'll never hear the end of it. They think they are teasing you, but you are thinking "OH YA". Last year I got a grouse and my 15 year old got a 6 point ELK. Thanks to another friend who also like kids getting outdoors and hunting.

Jelvis
09-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I concur your preaching to the choir, teach and learn.
Jel .. help each new hunter to go out hunting ...........