PDA

View Full Version : LEH Moose trip to WMU 4-22

DGuest
09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
So my myself and some hunting buddies were lucky enough to get a LEH draw for a shared moose hunt in 4-22. None of us have been there before and my plans of taking a road trip out that way have been squashed due to work and other commitments. (2 of us live in Vancouver and the other is on the Island)

We've been hitting Google earth pretty hard lately, and doing some general detective work by asking friends and colleagues who've been there or better still hunted there. With the season fast approaching we've switched from general planning to getting into the specifics.

I've tried to do as much as I can before posting up a pile of questions so I can get more out of your posts.

So here are a few questions/thoughts I've had maybe you guys can help me out and make sure I'm going in the right direction.

1) I've herd 4-22 can get busy during hunting season, we're planning on going up on the 14th (day before season opens) and staying for 8 days, setting up a wall tent the whole bit. will it be so busy that it's hard to find a place to set up camp or are most of the people hunting in there locals and only there for the day?

2) There are many motorized vehicle access restrictions in this zone, ideally we would like to set up camp relatively close to the boundary and hike in for the day. It is my understanding that these zones are often accessed by outfitters on horses. Does anyone know of any particular drainage that is occupied by outfitters that we should steer clear of. I'm not a fan of hunting with a ton of other people around and I'm sure others don't either.

3) I've looked at environment Canada's historical data for the area, it doesn't seem to get to cold there mid October, below zero at night and hovering around zero during the day seems to be typical for that time of year, with some snow depending on the year and elevation of course. I'd like to hear what people think about hanging meat outside that time of year considering both temperature and bears.... am I looking for trouble?

4) There is the odd rec site along the bull river, are these usually full of hunters? I'd like to have a few options, judging from Google earth we'd really like to hunt the Quinn creek area. Any good ideas from camp sites in that area?

I've got several other questions but I think this should get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the help folks!

DGuest
09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Change in plans due to work. Can't go in until the week of October 21st.... is there going to be a ton of snow in there?

bigneily
09-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Most likely not much for snow, High elevation roads might be a foot. I'de be some surprised to see 6" at the quinn campsite area. Neil