PDA

View Full Version : Problems in Region 5?

Albafly
09-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi all,

Me and some friends lucked out and got a leh draw in 5-01 for moose this year. We have talked with people working in stores and to locals during scouting trips to the area and we have heard some pretty bad stories from people about the area. Vandalism, car break ins, stolen quads as well as that the area is overrun with hunters.

We were absolutely jacked about our trip but these stories have put a damper on it for us. I realize you can have problems anywhere you go as there are scumbags all over, but should we be expecting worse than normal from this area?

Thanks for your input.

elkdom
09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
sounds as bad as Surrey, or Richmond, or Abbotsford, or Mission,,,,,,,,,,,

jees just about anywhere you can mention,,,:?

Foxton Gundogs
09-07-2011, 04:44 PM
I lived in Williams lake 100 Mi area for 12 yrs up to about a year ago and never had any trouble My sister still lives in 108 and havent heard anything out of the ordinary but I'll check with her my bro-in-law drives logging truck and shes a teacher they know "everybody" so should be able to get you sound info 4 u.

steveo44
09-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Parents had a problem in 5-14 last year.Had 3 quads go by camp around midnight,Mum heard them stop by a cattle guard about a hundred yards away.She could hear them talking but couldn`t make out what they were saying.My Dad was awake by now.Couple minutes later they heard them start up and then drove into camp and shown their headlights all over camp.My parents packed up and left the next morning.

genockous
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Put trail cams up to catch any one who comes there

MIL720
09-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Parents had a problem in 5-14 last year.Had 3 quads go by camp around midnight,Mum heard them stop by a cattle guard about a hundred yards away.She could hear them talking but couldn`t make out what they were saying.My Dad was awake by now.Couple minutes later they heard them start up and then drove into camp and shown their headlights all over camp.My parents packed up and left the next morning.

5-14 is not 5-1...Don't worry about it.I've hunted 5-1 for 20 years and have never heard of any major problems...PM me if you need any info...

Cyrus
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Hunted 5-1 since I was 5 yrs old and besides someone trying to steal my tires off my truck when I was out for a hike 15 yrs ago I've never had a problem (little locking wheel nut save me a long walk home, wish I caught the guys) The only problem I see is this F%^&^G heatwave for opening day!!!!!!!!!!

.330 Dakota
09-07-2011, 06:41 PM
I live in Lac La Hache and hunt the surrounding areas right out to 5-15 and have never had a problem...knock on wood

aliagha
09-07-2011, 08:26 PM
anything can happen anywhere. that being said, dont take any more stress. be caution, dont leave any valuable stuff in your car, and focus on your quarry. my First deer hunt took place in 5-1, we camped by the river along with 3 other campers, had lots of fun hunting chuckers and grouse, and one guy from our camp got a nice 2pt muley. all in all it was a memorable hunt.

srupp
09-07-2011, 08:59 PM
areas EAST of the highway..ie 5-1 are better than west IMO.. and I havnt heard of any problems at all out there..have friends that live there..and hunted there..dont worry relax......enjoy..normal precautions anywhere...

cheers
Steven

Albafly
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the helP guys, great to know. I will put it to the back of my mind and just take the usual precautions. I know anything can happen anywhere, but it is good to know it is not worse than normal.

I am so effin' stoked about this hunt! I went to the hunting store today and bought some last minute supplies (it is still over 3 weeks til we start but it's all I have been thinking about for months). I can't wait! Hopefully I get to post a decent story when I am back!

pmj
09-08-2011, 12:41 AM
My family has hunted 5-01 for 40 years. Never a problem.

32-40win
09-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Either camp where there are lots of people in camp or off the roads far enough that you will know if someone is around the area, and keep the camp out of sight as best you can.

srupp
09-08-2011, 03:10 AM
I somewhat agree with the safety in numbers....however I advise to camp where you and your gear can be seen. not out of sight hidden away..allows vermin the 2 legged kind a false sense of security from being discovered by passing travellers weather hunters or not....keep vehicles locked and possesions out of sight in campers and trailers and vehicles..like you would anywhere else.

good luck on the hunting

steven