PDA

View Full Version : Moose Rut

the sentencer
09-07-2011, 04:25 PM
So when do the Moose rut? I have a draw for 7-14 from Oct 10th-25th for a cow/calf draw. I am wondering if it's best to go in opening day or later on? I have heard the moose rut the beginning of oct and this could make it harder for hunting once the cows are bred. What do you guys think? Are the moose rutting then? Do moose taste worse like deer when there rutting? I haven't shot a moose before, just lots of deer so i'm a bit new to them. Thanks for any info!

BiG Boar
09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I would go earlier. They rut around the 25th of sept to oct 10th. You will be able to call them in during the rut. Lots of cow calling. I called 2 in last year, might also call in a spike fork bull, which may be open then too.

elkdom
09-07-2011, 04:45 PM
you have a "cow/calf LEH tag",
where on earth did you came up with information a cow or calf moose would taste different during the rut ?????:neutral:

ROEBUCK
09-07-2011, 05:39 PM
you should be able to find a cow moose in that area at any time during hunting season !
just put the time in!
good luck

t-bone
09-11-2011, 12:55 PM
The moose rut is in full swing in the first week of oct and as roebuck said if you put in the time you should see one. Hunt where you find the freshest tracks, and any part of oct should be a good bet, but remember " the early bird cathes the worm". and you won`t find any better eating game than calf moose anywhere[ if you ask me].

ryanhuntslots
09-11-2011, 02:58 PM
saw one for you this morning, watched her for a few minutes then went looking for a bull, If i had known I would have tied her up till oct, sorry

ELK Seeker
09-11-2011, 03:06 PM
You will have no problems anytime then but the earlier the better in my opinion.

Cyrus
09-11-2011, 03:56 PM
everything is late this year...though not sure it effects the moose rut...I'm banking on it as I got a draw for oct 15-31