PDA

View Full Version : Do You Fish?

IronNoggin
09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
From the CFAX site:

"Frank Stanford's Editorial Comment aired at 8:30 a.m. this morning on CFAX 1070 AM:

for Wednesday Sept 7, '11

The federal government must be capable of understanding that recreational fishing is a generator of jobs, worthy of some policy support. I don't understand the cavalier willingness to sacrifice the recreational halibut season.

The howls of protest we hear over the decision aren't critical of the federal responsibility to protect fish stocks. Nobody is saying 'plunder the resource'. In fact, they're saying quite the opposite...that a recreational fishery can thrive, putting less pressure on stocks than a commercial fishery does.

This debate over apportionment of the catch has got to be resolved with some recognition that the interests of the casual fisherman shouldn't automatically be the first to be cut. Opponents of this season's closure say 40 per cent of Canada's allocated halibut catch is still out there...but it's off limits to the recreational boater because 88 per cent of Canada's total halibut catch is reserved for commercial interests. That seems heavily disproportionate."

The station is also running a poll on how many people fish. Right now it needs a bump as only 25% suggest they fish. Please distribute this to all of fishing fishing pals and get them to vote. Voting is today, Wednesday only so act quickly please.

Here's the link to the poll on their home page: http://cfax1070.com/

Let the Voting Commence!! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Mr. Dean
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Yup, there's still a lot out there but we're not entitled to them, unless you want to pay a commercial fisherman to not go fishing.

Irony is a word that comes to mind, along with a few others.

Vote Casted.

Steeleco
09-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I've never fished for Hali's but that doesn't mean one day I won't. Done!!

Bisonfirst
09-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm trying to vote but don't see it on the page. Do you have to register?

madrona sh
09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I buy Fresh and Salt Annuals every year. So my stats are there.
I voted also

longstonec
09-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Far right in a big blue box. Just down from the top.

pnbrock
09-07-2011, 08:57 PM
done so now i have a right to bitch!!

Mr. Dean
09-07-2011, 09:16 PM
65% yes.
35% no.

Not enough voters though.... More wouldn't hurt.

Spy
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Voted Yes!:)

porcupine
09-07-2011, 11:21 PM
I voted yes, even though I haven't been fishing since yeserday.