PDA

View Full Version : Gambier Island 2-16 Hunt Recommendations

sailpunk
09-07-2011, 05:40 AM
In two weeks me and some buddies are planning a black tail hunt on Gamier. While I know thatGambier is pretty unfriendly territory with limited access to the shoreline. We are taking my boat there and have access to the crown land on the west bay west coast. While we have to hump the kill out I am wondering if anyone has any advice for this island?

Thoughts?

MB_Boy
09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
If you use the search function....there have been some threads on here about Gambier in the past.

One Shot
09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
PM sent.....

MB_Boy
09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
sailpunk...

Not sure how long it's been since you've been on Gambier but that North/Northeast side in Douglas Bay and Brigade Bay have both been developed.

There are areas you can get on the Island on the "backside" to the west/Northwest but it may be pretty steep trying to get up from there. We used to hang out on the log booms back there and water ski but I always remember it looking pretty darn steep to try and get up. If you look for booms that have access to the shore you could be okay...or if you have a tender/dingy, then even better.

The "bays" in West/Center/Port Graves are fairly built up too; a friend's family built a place in West Bay and when over there last summer I was surprised to see some of the new developments through that south side of the Island.

Merch
09-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm interested to see how this turns out for you. I was planning a hunt there later in the year as its so close to Vancouver. Hopefully its a little cooler in 2 weeks, you'd need to pack it out fast if its still in the high 20's.

For those of you who know the island, is all the development along the shoreline or has land been developed inland?

MB_Boy
09-07-2011, 12:17 PM
For those of you who know the island, is all the development along the shoreline or has land been developed inland?

Pretty much all contained to the "shore" or close to the shore for now. The middle of the island is undeveloped....and as far as shoreline access the "undeveloped" area is mostly from the north side around to the west side.

If you look at a satellite map on Google you'll get an idea. If you try and gain access from one of the beaches on the "northeast" side away from the developments (between Douglas/Brigade Bays) there look around the area and see if the "hermit/squatter" is still on the beach there. I wouldn't trust leave my boat/tender unattended with him around.

sailpunk
09-07-2011, 03:07 PM
A buddy of mine took a decent buck out of there about four years ago. We're heading over there unless I bag my limit on Saturday. Lol

I know the island pretty well; I sail there about three times a year and know some ways to get in and out I just don't know what to expect for hunting the island. I will keep everyone posted on the results

elcazador
09-15-2011, 10:10 PM
yes me too will hunt the island for 1 or 2 blacktails, i did some scoping, and saw some good size deer. the terrain can be quite difficult in parts, will also keep everyone posted on the hunt in this island, my first hunt ever!