PDA

View Full Version : Hunting near Chetwyn

koivu
09-06-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm heading up to the Chetwyn area later in September. I've never been to that area before. Anyone have any advice as to where a good place to set up camp? I was thinking down around Gwillim Lake or Moose Lake in 7-21. That said I'm pretty much open to suggestions. Moose, elk, deer... Just want to get out in the bush and enjoy some downtime.

Thanks

Brett
09-06-2011, 07:13 PM
sounds good, have fun!

vip_ruger
09-06-2011, 11:00 PM
delrio is a good place to hunt around chetwynd

bear buster
09-06-2011, 11:40 PM
lots of places between Chet and TR, nice country.

Bigbruin
09-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Lots of Grizzly in that corridor

Boner
09-08-2011, 09:18 AM
There's a sesimic job going on in Del Rio right now. From the Del Rio 9.5 km to about 405 on the 400 road. Lots of people in there working. Same as on the other side of the river on the Septimus road. Lots of guys on foot, wearing hi viz of course but all the same, just a heads up.

Ry151
09-08-2011, 08:58 PM
there is a ton of sesimic going on around septimus those little machines are everywhere

Boner
09-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, Rayco's, Hurricanes and GyroTrac's. It's all one big Shell job going on. They subbed out part of it to Arcis and another part out to LXL. Plus North American has lots of pipeline going on right now on the Stuart Lake road, as well as the Septimus. I haven't seen a moose in almost a month here.

M.Dean
09-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I hunted the Jack Fish lake area years ago, it's out of Chetwyn going up towards Hudson's Hope. We seen tons of Cows and Calf's, Elk and deer but nothing Legal. It was too bloody hot then! We were in there for 5 days until a real nice Old Native told us he heard Pink Mnt was the place to hunt in this heat, so off we went, hit the highway, bought more fuel, lots of beer and hit Pink Mnt, where we knocked a bull down in 2 days! There's some great area's to hunt in the Chetwyn area, but take a real good compass and learn how to use. I hiked into a lot of swamps back then, and dam near every swamp looked the same! I followed game trails, from swamp to swamp, and what I did was tape the trail where I entered the swamp, and lots here I walked to the next one, and there was a few times I missed the trail I came in on, and that tape saved my ass a few times! And like everyones posted, watch for Grizzly Bears, if you knock a Bull down, keep your rifle loaded when your butchering it, at least with in grabbing range!!! Also, we met a couple old guys sitting on a rock one morning, it was about 8 in the morning, and they were drinking beers. I said "My kind of guys! We stopped to BS, and the old guys told us they'd drove in last night, he said they got to the "Old Corrals", and stopped at the big mud hole, there hunting buddy's were behind them, they'd stopped to look at the big mud hole too. The old guys said lets wait for day light before trying to get the trucks, trailers and campers through the mud to the River. The kids said" We can do It". And that's where the truck and camper stayed! He told us the mud was up to the door handles, and still sinking, and the kids had gone to Fort St.John to get a large Back Hoe to dig the truck out! I said there best bet was to empty the truck and camper, phone there Insurance Company and drive over top it! Not sure how it all worked out for those guys, so really watch the mud holes! Have a good trip!

cameron0518
09-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Shell is destroying the area.

slovakien_12
09-08-2011, 11:04 PM
are most of the road labelled in that area? I am thinking of going all the way to the 400 road tomorrow and I am worried about getting lost....reallly lost :(