PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Grouse

Junorr500
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Was out and about in the Koots. Got 2 grouse i the whole weekend. Only saw 4 others and man were they skitish. Im thinking this warm weather is keeping them off the roads cause we should have seen more that we did considering the km we put on the quads.

new hunter
09-06-2011, 06:01 PM
might be a low grouse population too , I'm not seeing many up here either. I like you warm weather theory though , I sure hope that is the case .

solo
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Was out in region 3 all weekend (four days) with youth, hunting deer. We were also scouting for grouse. Saw tons of deer,
but only two grouse. The last couple of years we would have seen three dozen or more during that much hunting. Even in
hot weather, we usually see birds. We also saw eight coyotes, which is an unusually large number, so we were wondering
if predation was a factor in the low grouse numbers. Havent had a chance to scout in region 2 for grouse yet, but planning to on the upcoming weekend. I was also wondering if the slow spring has caused the birds to be late developing this year,
so maybe they are not coming out to the roads for gravel just yet. Hoping the numbers improve!

grizzhunter64
09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Seen quite a few tonight and lots of rabbits this year as well!:twisted:

Ddog
09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
its reportedly a bad year for grouse in the koots, that being said, saw an average of 12-15 a day when out for the first few days of the bow season so far, and those were large groups of birds, 5 or more, so not lots around just seems a few coveys made the wet spring

Elkaholic
09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
I have been seeing tons of grouse as well in the 5 days I have been out. They seem to be all over the place.

JoshCampbell
09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
have seen quite a few so far.out in the middle of cut blocks though which seems weird to me

Singleshotneeded
09-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Not a banner year in 3 and 8 for grouse, with the wet spring-early summer, but there are some out there.

bcbrez
09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
I've got 30 grouse so far this year. Region 4. I use dogs though.

Fireball129
09-20-2011, 03:25 PM
hunted in Region 8 this past weekend.total of about 15 birds seen with 4 down,only one grouping of 6-7 the rest were single birds.They were very skidish and took off quite fast,but someone before us must have scored quite a few as there was feathers everywhere at the camp we took.

Junorr500
09-27-2011, 09:37 PM
noticing that where ever there is coyote sighn there are few if any grouse. Shoot the damn coyotes.

huntingmom
09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Was Golden a week ago and only bagged three grouse. I know, in the past, we have seen alot more and took home alot more.
I talked to one of the locals up there, and they mentioned that thier spring was wet and cold...no better than the coast.
You could be right in the weather being warm and keeping them off the roads...but I'm leaning towards our horrid spring weather that probably killed off most of the young chicks.

In august we're up at PG and my husband ran into a spruce grouse that had chicks that were less than a week old...which is kind of late for the grouse to have little chicks. I imagined that she might have lost her first set in the earlier months due to cold wet weather and went on to have a second batch in late July.

Canadian Dad
10-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Made the mistake of NOT bringing anything other than the .270 while cruising on the Quad.
Pretty cool to see tho. All ruffies. Sunny out after a morning of showers. West Kootenays

Nuts. click it to see a little better.