PDA

View Full Version : Hunting around Summerland, BC - New Hunters Could Use Some Tips

PorcupineMike
09-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Hey folks!

My friend and I are still new hunters (3 seasons) and have yet to down any large game. I actually just moved to Summerland to get closer to the hunting and fishing action... We've had only 10ish days in the bush over the past few years and no mentors to teach us (we're the first hunters in both of our families). This definitely plays into why we haven't taken anything down yet...

We both have a passion to learn new things so we've been absorbing as much as we can for some time now via internet, fellow hunters, books, etc. We know we're doing a lot of things right but I'm sure there's some experienced hunters who would see some obvious issues with our skills/execution. We get off the road and hike, stay quiet and slow, have good quality gear and use it. One large issue we have is no quality intel on good locations to start at.

We hunted in the area last year so we know of some mule deer areas but we'd rather target whitey's as they are "any buck" starting this coming Saturday vs 4 point Mulies. We think our odds are better with whitey's considering we just want to down a deer, regardless of point count (within reason). A 4 point blacky seems harder given our inexperience... We just want to get over that first hurdle and progress.

Our egos are starting to suffer, if we don't kill something this year we'll feel like complete dolts... :)

Thank you for any help or tips you offer up! PM if you want to protect your secrets... We're all ears!

doubled
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Almost anywhere around Summerland will get you into deer. Good muley and whitey country there. In late season concentrate on the muley migration from the north. Whiteys kicking around as well. Line your guns up, practice shooting, get off the roads/trails and walk. I guarantee you will get a crack or two at a deer.

The Silent Stalker
09-06-2011, 11:59 PM
I live in Squamish and if I remember, you are about one hour from Idleback Lake. I hve been there a few times in Oct to hunt, while I have yet to shoot, my buddies have done well. Ive seen some big mulies and big whitey's even moose and elk. We hunt a little further past the rec site and it's good country.

300H&H
09-07-2011, 12:44 AM
PM sent to you

PorcupineMike
09-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the input and encouragement so far, very useful. Keep the advice coming if you have any!

Singleshotneeded
09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
South and east of you it's dry enough in the early season that water is a factor. Find some clearcuts/openings that
have water close by and you'll see some deer. Check out Google Earth and your Okanagan Mapbook...