PDA

View Full Version : launcher style rests?

RoscoeP
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
What is the deal on these type rests, I have seen some target shooters using them. The rest looks like it is made of a thin piece of metal that tapers at the tip and has a V cut out of the tip. Couple of questions, do they drop or does the arrow stay in contact all the way? Also are they any good, 3D? Looks like they would not be so good for hunting as more balance required. Also who makes the best one brand wise? Thanks for any input on this. Cheers Roscoe

Bowzone_Mikey
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I use them for target/3D .... the arrow is in contact as they do not fallaway .... I like them ... there is 3 thickness' of blades to use based on arrow weight .... they are very simple ... I use Trophy taker and Golden Key Brands ..... they basically the same as its hard to make one better than the other .... some models have micro adjust etc...

but they are super simple and the only failure I have heard of of them is when someone got the blade caught on a branch walking through the woods .....

no moving parts therefore no failure .....

they are commonly called spring steel or Blades
another common target rest that doesnt move is a tiny wire basket ..... Mens 3D open National winners for the past 8 or 10 that I know of use these type of rests.

Its very rare will you see a drop away rest on the high end Target line (there is exceptions) because they are prone to failure.

Grantmac
09-06-2011, 08:30 PM
I believe a drop-away rest failure was directly responsible for one of our Canadian Female shooters to be eliminated at the 3D worlds.

-Grant

RoscoeP
09-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Do they come with the 3 blade thickness or do you have to order the one you want before hand? Also what would be the best fletching to shoot off one? I am a firm believer in keeping it simple if it works. I sold my Martin bow yesterday and putting some money together for a nice 3D setup. I will keep my Maxxis 31 for hunting and use at 3D until I get another bow. Thanks for the input guys it really helps. Cheers Roscoe

Bowzone_Mikey
09-07-2011, 11:08 AM
you pretty much have to order what you want ......they are cheap ... because they have multiple widths as well ... you can use em with just about any fletching config as the blade edges rest between the fletching ... if you have a hard helical configeration on a small shaft you might have some issue .... with the narrow ones ment for knitting needle type arrows ... ACE, Nanos etc ..... Medium is designed for 9/32,11/32 sized arrows ... ie:typical Carbons .. and wide is designed for Logs ... ie: Fatboys, X-cutters etc...

you can order them in a kit that has one of each combination ... 9 blades in total .... .008, .010, .012 thickness in wide, medium and narrow ....

008 thickness is for under about 300 grain, .010 is ideal from 300-400 grain and .012 is good up to about 550 or so grains

RoscoeP
09-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the great info. Cheers