PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Bull Elk Down!

Mikey Rafiki
09-06-2011, 09:14 AM
So my buddy, brother and myself spent the opening weekend at home here in the Elk Valley. After a couple days of grueling hikes up into the alpine we realized that these guys weren't going to come in easy. On Saturday we decided to head to another spot where we have seen them lower down in the evenings. We head out at daybreak and get up as high as we can. By about 8:00 the sun was starting to creep up, so we decided to head down to the creek bottom and slowly work our way back out to the truck. We hoped that the hot days would be pushing them down into the cool wet places, and we were right. Just before we get to the creek bottom my buddy stops and hits me saying, "There's an animal right there! A deer or an Elk....an Elk! A Bull!" He quickly grabs his rangefinder, and I'm thinkin he's a little too far, but he ranges him at 60 yards. The bull notices us, but after a moment or two he goes back to feeding, so my buddy quickly raises his crossbow. The bull slowly works towards a small opening while turning broadside. I screw up and miss the cow call to stop him. Luckily, he turns back towards that same opening, which is about the size of a dinner plate. I hit the cow call this time and he stops perfectly. After what seems like an eternity, my buddy lets the arrow fly and the bull lurches forward pulling his front legs into his body. I think its a great hit, and the bull turns and slowly walks away. After about 5 minutes of worried silence we hear his final horrible death gasps. We silently exchange extremely akward high fives and resume waiting another 45 minutes just to make sure. Then, we quickly find the blood trail, and it is a gusher! He walked no more than 30 yards and croaked. Out came the schnapps. It stayed nice and cool for the gutting and packing, and luckily we bugled in by brother to help pack it out the 1km to the truck.

Congrats to my good friend Newton on a great shot, now we just need my brother to connect.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0166.jpg

Ceremonial passing of the liver to the host family:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0170.jpg

300H&H
09-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Congratulations !

I hope Dad & I can be so lucky come Sept. 10th for antlerless or a bull.

doubled
09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Awesome stuff, congrats!!!

Bow Walker
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
You've got some mighty tasty meals ahead of you. Congratulations, big time!

But why did you have to take your boots off, and kneel down to "pass the liver" :)

Mikey Rafiki
09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
You've got some mighty tasty meals ahead of you. Congratulations, big time!

But why did you have to take your boots off, and kneel down to "pass the liver" :)

I guess it's not too clear in my story, but that's my buddy in the photos and he shot the bull. He's passing the liver to my brother, and he was on his hands and knees cleaning up the backstraps and ribs, etc. :)

I have been doing the calling and spotting for the group. I was the only one who connected on a bull the year before, so I wanted to give them first crack.

moose2
09-06-2011, 10:07 PM
good job getting him with your crossbow he should taste good.
Mike

BiG Boar
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
That is wicked! Great job on connecting! I bet that felt good when you saw the arrow hit its mark.